Downrigger wiring

ChilliSpoons

I just bought a 16’ Aluminum boat that I’m installing a set of older 1106 downriggers. The boat has two batteries run in parallel with no selector switch.

Do I wire my downriggers to the starting battery or the other battery? Or one downrigger to each battery? I assume that I’d wire directly to the non starting battery.

I just bought a 16’ Aluminum boat that I’m installing a set of older 1106 downriggers. The boat has two batteries run in parallel with no selector switch.

Do I wire my downriggers to the starting battery or the other battery? Or one downrigger to each battery? I assume that I’d wire directly to the non starting battery.
If the batteries are wired in parallel, it makes no difference which one you connect to - you essentially have one large battery.

I would put a switch, to isolate your starting battery then wire both DR to house battery, at least you can still start you outboard if one is dead
x2 - safest way for sure. you could also install a small Blue Sea voltmeter dial direct to the battery for a really accurate reading of the house battery as you fish. Redundant with engine gauges but whoever said redundancy and marine environment were bad.

x2 - safest way for sure. you could also install a small Blue Sea voltmeter dial direct to the battery for a really accurate reading of the house battery as you fish. Redundant with engine gauges but whoever said redundancy and marine environment were bad.
Another alternative is to display voltage on your chartplotter. My cheapo Lowrance has that option.

Are you running a kicker or trolling on the main power?

Add a switch if you feel like spending money and having a starting and a house battery. Or keep it as is and bring one of those little battery booster packs with you. They take up little room and come in handy all the time. I keep one in my truck and have boosted many people stuck on the side of the road. Never had to use it on the boat yet but it’s good peace of mind. Either way, if your main is running, you should be staying charged on both batteries

Back