Downrigger Weights Sooke this summer

opto55

I have new electric Scottys on my boat and am wondering what weights I should use to fish Sooke this July?
Thanks

I run nothing less than 15's everywhere I troll. Strong currents can make it hard getting 10# or even 12# to the depths you wish to fish. Even stacking rods for sockeye in Albernie I use 15's. When I bought 10's i went to 12's still not enough, wasted cash but now have spares. My two cents :)

I run 15's all the time
I always stack two per side too

I've never heard someone complain that their balls are too big

Reactions: RBL
Go with 15's, especially if you are using the Scotty HP downriggers. If you run manuals 10#'s is all you ever want to hand crank.
AND, always carry spares!
Good Fishing
Stosh

Interesting. I fish out of a 16.5 welded aluminum and use 12's. In your past experiences, do you notice a difference in m how the boat handles with an increase in cannonball weight? I extended my booms by about a foot and noticed little difference. I run two 1106's, single battery, and I'm a little concerned on the increase of load on the battery being drawn to retrieve the extra weight at once. Anyone blow any fuses during a retrieve? Scotty recommended size fuse being used.

I also fish out of a 16ft, one battery boat. I use nothing but 15lb weights on 1106's. I have never had a fuse blow because of the weight itself and l fish as deep as 300ft. I did have one blow a couple of years ago on a hang up and lost my cannonball and a lot of line as l had to cut the braid as l thought it was going to pull the boat over. Since then l have replaced the fuses with circuit breakers, and although they have blown on hang ups, l have been able manuver the boat and release the weight as the breaker resets itself within seconds and continues to retrieve the weight.

If you run 15 or larger you can use then anywhere. If you are new to down rigger fishing, lighter is more tolerant of mistakes - if you were to get excited with a fish & leave your 15 flopping around at the side of the boat with wave action, you will probably be unhappy with the results. I have used as light as 8's when fishing 50-75ft

Most guys in sooke run 12s. Its all you need at those depths. Believe me i get funny looks when guys see my 18s hangin lol

With 1101's and 15# balls use snubbers and set your beads so your ball hangs just below the surface when up at the boat. I find that you can bounce them off the bottom with waaay more forgiveness with the snubbers of course.

I also fish out of a 16ft, one battery boat. I use nothing but 15lb weights on 1106's. I have never had a fuse blow because of the weight itself and l fish as deep as 300ft. I did have one blow a couple of years ago on a hang up and lost my cannonball and a lot of line as l had to cut the braid as l thought it was going to pull the boat over. Since then l have replaced the fuses with circuit breakers, and although they have blown on hang ups, l have been able manuver the boat and release the weight as the breaker resets itself within seconds and continues to retrieve the weight.

Do you notice the extra weight hanging off the side of the boat affecting the handling of the boat at all?

Is 200# braid sufficient for 15# balls? Or should I step up to 250#? I run electric 1101s

I use 15# finned balls with 1106's. You could use 18#s or 20#s with the 2106's if you prefer a little less blowback.

I also use 200# Powerbraid by Scotty. I had re-spooled one downrigger with some Seaguar braid I won in a raffle after a run-in with a humpback at Swiftsure, and the blowback it had made it virtually unfishable at depth.

If you run 3 riggers like I do in the summer then use 13 pancake weights with the stainless blades. Put a slight bend in the outside ones so they swim slightly away from the boat, keep the back one straight. With this setup I can crank the wheel hard over ( which you often have to do to stay on the fishy tack or avoid weed lines) without any tangles. Do that with 3 rigggers and round balls and you can have a mess. Not good when the bite finally comes on and you are out of commission.

Back