Downrigger clip question

Reading this thread has me thinking of switching to braid with mono leader.

That seems like a heck of a lot of stretch?

I’ll never go away from the braid and mono/fluoro leader setup. I’ve tried different combos and like this the best.

On the other hand, you do need some skill and savvy with a mooching reel and braid, less margin for error for inexperienced anglers.

Reading this thread has me thinking of switching to braid with mono leader.

That seems like a heck of a lot of stretch?

I have used braid for over 20 years - initially for super long range carp fishing in Europe and then adopted for most of my fishing including trolling for salmon. I use 50lb test Power Pro with a 25' mono leader of 30lb or 40lb. In every respect I think braid is superior than mono and mercifully now very much cheaper than it was 20 years ago. If braid does stretch I cannot detect it - the difference in positive feel as to whatever maybe on the end of your line in comparison to mono is undeniable and its resistance in water is a fraction of mono. The only time I use mono these days is for short-range fishing where I am wanting the safety margin of some stretch.

It can take a little getting used to using braid insofar that the incidence of hook pulls can increase because of the lack of forgiving stretch which apart from the reason of securely attaching a downrigger clip is why most people use a mono leader or 'top shot' as it has become called.

For anyone using braid with a top shot, do you not find the knot gets caught in the rod eyes often? I had this issue and annoyed me to no end so I tossed the mono top shot and went braid right to the quick change and never looked back. Only down side is unless the scotty clip is pretty much new the braid can slide out even on the tightest setting.

For anyone using braid with a top shot, do you not find the knot gets caught in the rod eyes often? I had this issue and annoyed me to no end so I tossed the mono top shot and went braid right to the quick change and never looked back. Only down side is unless the scotty clip is pretty much new the braid can slide out even on the tightest setting.
No issue so far. Am using an FG knot to connect the braid and mono and it has excellent knot strength and is a very low profile knot when the ends are cut short.

No issue so far. Am using an FG knot to connect the braid and mono and it has excellent knot strength and is a very low profile knot when the ends are cut short.
Yes the fg knot is the best knot but be carefull of the brown algae it will jam at the knot if not cleaned off line and will break your rod tip very easy not the guide but bends the rod at the tip only and snap

I use an Albright knot which I superglue and then cut the tag ends very tight. I do not find this catches in the rod rings.

I like this 'modified' FG knot. It's simple to tie, super strong and have yet to have a knot fail.

Similar to BCTony, I'll tidy it up but will use clear nail polish as opposed to superglue. I'll try to build it up a bit at the union to help prevent it from catching, which is only really an issue when you're reeling in but hasn't been an issue in my experience.

I found a very small barrel swivel that goes through the eyes easily. I tied it on with Palomar knots on each end, works great. An thoughts or cautions on this? The swivel is rated for 40# and I am using 30# mono.

I have had one rod set up with braid and 50' mono as a trial. I joined them together with a bead swivel. Might not be the "correct" way but seems to work. So far I've noticed:
  • not much difference in amount of blow back compared to mono. Maybe because I'm not fishing very deep usually (70'-100').
  • not much difference in stretch. Again, maybe because I'm not fishing deep.
  • Green dye bleeds and drips everywhere. This may be brand specific, but I find this annoying.
Haven't converted my other lines yet. Not sure I will.

Reviving this thread because I was just out winter spring fishing in French Creek, fishing at 230' to 270', and it reminded me I want to try switching over to braid with a topshot of mono.

I have Shimano 2000 and 4000 gt reels. Someone mentioned that braid on the reel could potentially get wet, expand and damage the reel?

And any recommendations for brand of braid?

Would there be any increased wear on the rod guides/eyes with braid? Probably not considering the number of folks that seem to be using it.

Back