Double Eagle 17' 6" I/O Project Boat

My ‘77 DE had floatation foam - and it was more than just bit of a job to get that waterlogged mess out...so you are lucky that either someone else has already removed it, or it never had it. I had a guy come in and spray-in fresh closed-cell foam into my project when I was ready for it.

Lots of folks don’t like flotation foam, but - (in my opinion) after all the work you’re going to have to do to get your project back in the water - it’d be a real bummer if a log or dead-head pokes a hole in the hull and you lose the boat (and all that work) in minutes, rather than having flotation foam giving you a chance to recover the boat, and then make repairs.

BTW - Spray-in closed-cell foam, properly applied, is much better than the original poured-in foam that was in my DE. I noted - while removing the old stuff - that in the bow area (where the poured-in foam was over 12” deep) the foam had overheated while curing and scorched the glass and stringers...

64777996-C91E-49BF-8FAE-F35A18D03074.jpeg

Be happy, scraping out that waterlogged foam is super laborious. Lost count of how many garbage bags I filled. The new closed cell foam won't absorb water at all. Contact a contractor that sprays it for residential projects, they are licensed and have been trained to mix and apply correctly. Stories of off gassing and toxicity mostly go back to the bad old days when there was no regulation and the equipment wasn't fully developed.

My ‘77 DE had floatation foam - and it was more than just bit of a job to get that waterlogged mess out...so you are lucky that either someone else has already removed it, or it never had it. I had a guy come in and spray-in fresh closed-cell foam into my project when I was ready for it.

Lots of folks don’t like flotation foam, but - (in my opinion) after all the work you’re going to have to do to get your project back in the water - it’d be a real bummer if a log or dead-head pokes a hole in the hull and you lose the boat (and all that work) in minutes, rather than having flotation foam giving you a chance to recover the boat, and then make repairs.

BTW - Spray-in closed-cell foam, properly applied, is much better than the original poured-in foam that was in my DE. I noted - while removing the old stuff - that in the bow area (where the poured-in foam was over 12” deep) the foam had overheated while curing and scorched the glass and stringers...

View attachment 57936

That foam looks like it's proud of the stringers. Did you end up having to cut the foam to a flattish surface somehow to put the deck down?

Its always fun pulling stuff up and seeing what you will find. You just saved yourself about 2 hrs of scraping out foam. That a win in my books.

View attachment 57936

@stephennicholls531 Ya I was planning to get one of the insulation spray foam guys to spray the boat
I think it will be faster and cheaper than the two part foam @ $ 100.00 a litre @ IP
Do you remember what you paid ?
Thanks, great photos

Sorry I haven't updated in 2-1/2 months
Was busy with work prior to X-mas, and it got cold and rainy outside
So a brief update
Took the boat off the trailer, and blocked it up
Bought an enclosed car shelter to protect it from rain and wind
Added led lights in the car shelter Continued removing all hardware, wires and accessories Removed the hardtop Removed stringers and keelIMG_1478.jpgIMG_1479.jpgIMG_1480.jpgIMG_1476.jpgIMG_1477.jpgIMG_1474.jpgIMG_1475.jpgIMG_1472.jpgIMG_1473.jpgIMG_1481.jpg

Last edited:
There are probably other old timers like myself that remember a guy that fished out of Bamfield with a commy license on a boat just like that one,Bains was his last name I think,had a place across from Seabeam Lodge.There were a few small boats back then that would troll outside Bamtown and sell their catch daily,Crazy Larry and a 1 armed fella in a morrocraft was another one.Your boat is a very early Double Eagle,pre 1970's I would think,any numbers on the transom to tell the year?

There are probably other old timers like myself that remember a guy that fished out of Bamfield with a commy license on a boat just like that one,Bains was his last name I think,had a place across from Seabeam Lodge.There were a few small boats back then that would troll outside Bamtown and sell their catch daily,Crazy Larry and a 1 armed fella in a morrocraft was another one.Your boat is a very early Double Eagle,pre 1970's I would think,any numbers on the transom to tell the year?
According to Transport Canada this boat was registered by Double Eagle in 1976

Well I believe they have it wrong. Pre 70’s look with the foredeck and the hardtop styling. My dad bought a new 17’ DE in 1973 and the reg on his boat(sold 10 yrs ago) was 14K22413.
Cool project you have going, looking forward to seeing it progress

My great great Uncle use to be one of those guys. He also use to run the school boat. His house is now the Nurses station.

I think the guy with the green double eagle last name was Rhodes. The fellow in the tin boat with an arm missing, lost it in an accident on James island when it was a explosive plant for CIL. He quite often bunked with Bud Mcilldoon who was another character in the old sea beam when Jack Graham ran it

I parked my boat in the fellow with one arms spot on the wharf once.........................he untied my open boat and parked it under the cleaning tables so the seagulls could **** in it all afternoon.

I never parked in his spot again
Aaaaaaaaawesome.

View attachment 57936
@stephennicholls531 What size and brand fuel tank did you install ? Where did you buy it from thanks

@stephennicholls531 What size and brand fuel tank did you install ? Where did you buy it from thanks

I went onto greatlakesskipper.com to find an appropriately sized aluminum 110 litre/29 Us gal tank. The original configuration had the fuel filler mounted in the right gunnel, and a 2” fuel hose and smaller vent line exposed and routed across the floor before they both dove down into the tank through the floor....bad idea.

The tank I installed had the fuel inlet connections at the bow end of the tank, and I routed the fill/vent hoses under the floor, and up (behind the bulkhead that separates the bow storage area) to a combination filler/vent port on the deck just in front of the windshield on the right side. That way there were no hoses to trip over (I wasn’t using sleeper seats) nor was there any place for water to easily slide under the floorboards like the original configuration.

I think the tank was about $500 and some extra $ for shipping. Great Lakes Skipper has a pretty decent collection of tanks, both aluminium and plastic.

Back