Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

I left my boat at the Sunshine Coast after Easter visit since we're going back in May and July. Do I dare tow it home with the EV? I wanted to do some test tows with boat before leaving the Okanagan, but my rig isn't available for that.

One road trip to Whistler booked in June. That will give me some data on highway consumption, and some Intel on public charging. Lots to think about.

Saw on the Facebook that a buddy bought the Rivian SUV model and had posted it up for sale. I asked him why he was selling so soon and said although it was fast it drove like sh*t. He said "Among another 30 things I could go into. It drives like a 2001 Chevy suburban with 400,000 miles on it."

Saw on the Facebook that a buddy bought the Rivian SUV model and had posted it up for sale. I asked him why he was selling so soon and said although it was fast it drove like sh*t. He said "Among another 30 things I could go into. It drives like a 2001 Chevy suburban with 400,000 miles on it."

So it drove good did it!:cool:

got a call today from out feet manger getting a new work truck, apparently they sent us a whole bunch that no one expecting to come crazy.

Well out here in Winnipeg this week. Wow sure no buy in for electric. Guess what no electric vehicles what so ever. This town is not in hurry to switch over.

Seen like two tesla. That's it.

I am still trying to grasp how electric truck will perform in 35 below weather for months on end. This seems like a large hurdle.

Cold weather operation uses more fuel in ICE vehicles too, we tend to idle longer to warm up and keep cabin warm, winter tires and snowy roads have more rolling resistance. The same losses are there for EV, but because overall efficiency is so high to begin with, the winter losses take a lot bigger bite out of range. You can and should preheat the vehicle while it's still plugged in, and most owners use the heated seats and steering wheel as their primary heat - warm the body directly rather than all the air in the cabin.

Range loss in winter isn't a big deal if you're commuting or working and just doing a few km a day. Means you plug in the vehicle twice a week instead of once. If you log a lot of highway miles though, you probably already know this is the worst use case for EVs, and winter will push this down further. Battery technology is moving quickly with massive investments in research by the auto industry, so it would make sense to hold off on purchase for another 3-5 years.

If you do the typical 30-60 km a day urban commute though, EV shines while ICE is at its worst.

Inching closer to the new truck I reserved more than 2 years ago. After almost 6 weeks of being "In Production", my Lightning finally clicked over to "Built" status this week. Best guess is it was built first week of May but some chips or modules were not available so it was parked to await completion.

Screenshot_20230608-183727_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looks like Site C is now not enough. Population growth, EV's, cities that have band NG for heat/water, this crazy rush to slam up more houses the list goes on....BC Hydro is now looking for more

Next will be more Run of the Rivers, most, if not all will be owned by FN.

How about we build Nuclear Power in the lower mainland and stop building more dams!

Cheers

SS

Definitely seeing quite a few Rivians around Victoria these days. Anyone have any personal experience with them?

Got my Lightning work truck 2 weeks ago. Impressed so far! Why any sportscar would want to have a combustion engine, I don't know!
Mine has been shipped, according to Ford. Where it actually is, who knows.

Interesting look at some data on lifecycle emissions of electric/hybrid/gas

Consider also that in BC our electric grid is fully renewable power. So remove the CO2 amount for electricity production. The EV is far lower in lifetime GHG produced.

Consider also that in BC our electric grid is fully renewable power. So remove the CO2 amount for electricity production. The EV is far lower in lifetime GHG produced.
No brainer for the westcoast for sure. If the latest science of sodium based batteries proves true then it will be a night and day comparison.

Back