Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Looks like Site C is now not enough. Population growth, EV's, cities that have band NG for heat/water, this crazy rush to slam up more houses the list goes on....BC Hydro is now looking for more

Next will be more Run of the Rivers, most, if not all will be owned by FN.

How about we build Nuclear Power in the lower mainland and stop building more dams!

Cheers

SS
Nuclear is not a good idea in the lower mainland due to the earthquake potential. Elsewhere in BC it would be a good option though.

Looks like Site C is now not enough. Population growth, EV's, cities that have band NG for heat/water, this crazy rush to slam up more houses the list goes on....BC Hydro is now looking for more

Next will be more Run of the Rivers, most, if not all will be owned by FN.

How about we build Nuclear Power in the lower mainland and stop building more dams!

Cheers

SS
BC is experiencing its greatest inbound migration since the immediate post-WW2 period, 80,000-100,000 people every year. There's no single answer to powering our electricity grid as demand grows. The best answers are "many sources", followed by "thoughtful consumption". Continued uptake of solar, wind, and run of river are part of it. So is upgrading and optimizing our existing hydro facilities. Moving to a peak/shoulder/off peak pricing plan is already in the works (BC Hydro opt-in program application under review).

For the record, there are no bans in force on natural gas in BC. Victoria has a zero-carbon requirement for new construction, beginning in 2025. Vancouver has backed away from its planned ban. Victoria is moving ahead of schedule of the GHG limits being set provincially so it can meet its own emissions targets. Yes, there are GHG limits coming BC-wide, still discussing details of regionality and schedule, but it will be harder to use gas in new homes by 2026 or 2027. Harder, but not impossible. Make the home so super efficient that you could almost heat it with a tea candle and you'll fit inside the annual GHG limits. Or choose gas between gas for water heating or space heating, but not both. Or supply with Renewable Natural Gas, which is accepted by the province as carbon neutral... provided FortisBC can keep up with demand. So a builder could satisfy the upcoming Victoria regs by placing a covenant to supply the building with RNG only.

This is likely how future municipal, provincial and federal regs on FF for new buildings will be framed too: as an emissions cap, rather than an outright ban. In theory, FF still possible, but you'll have to work for it. We can't have the unpleasant visual of being an LNG exporter while banning it at home. Anyway it would make sense for all of us to reduce natural gas consumption, prices aren't gonna go down once it starts leaving on LNG carriers...

BC is experiencing its greatest inbound migration since the immediate post-WW2 period, 80,000-100,000 people every year. There's no single answer to powering our electricity grid as demand grows. The best answers are "many sources", followed by "thoughtful consumption". Continued uptake of solar, wind, and run of river are part of it. So is upgrading and optimizing our existing hydro facilities. Moving to a peak/shoulder/off peak pricing plan is already in the works (BC Hydro opt-in program application under review).

For the record, there are no bans in force on natural gas in BC. Victoria has a zero-carbon requirement for new construction, beginning in 2025. Vancouver has backed away from its planned ban. Victoria is moving ahead of schedule of the GHG limits being set provincially so it can meet its own emissions targets. Yes, there are GHG limits coming BC-wide, still discussing details of regionality and schedule, but it will be harder to use gas in new homes by 2026 or 2027. Harder, but not impossible. Make the home so super efficient that you could almost heat it with a tea candle and you'll fit inside the annual GHG limits. Or choose gas between gas for water heating or space heating, but not both. Or supply with Renewable Natural Gas, which is accepted by the province as carbon neutral... provided FortisBC can keep up with demand. So a builder could satisfy the upcoming Victoria regs by placing a covenant to supply the building with RNG only.

This is likely how future municipal, provincial and federal regs on FF for new buildings will be framed too: as an emissions cap, rather than an outright ban. In theory, FF still possible, but you'll have to work for it. We can't have the unpleasant visual of being an LNG exporter while banning it at home. Anyway it would make sense for all of us to reduce natural gas consumption, prices aren't gonna go down once it starts leaving on LNG carriers...
Something lost in the argument of us exporting LNG is that it is used as a substitute for coal in many countries. I find it weird we take such a myopic vision of GHG, even if our emissions go up, does it not lower the emissions worldwide? Maybe we need to look at a worldwide problem from a worldwide view! If we can supply cleaner burning fuels to those countries who use huge amounts it seem like that would be a good thing?

Certainly true that methane produces less GHG, NO2 and particulates than coal. But it's also true that sending even clean FF across oceans is postponing the destination country's full switch to non FF energy. Converting coal plants to gas is another round of investment that will keep them rooted to FF for another generation.

Certainly true that methane produces less GHG, NO2 and particulates than coal. But it's also true that sending even clean FF across oceans is postponing the destination country's full switch to non FF energy. Converting coal plants to gas is another round of investment that will keep them rooted to FF for another generation.
I agree it’s not 100% but the solution isn't binary. People have to accept that few things are 100% in life And there are no silver bullets.To delay implementation of a lower percentage solution and continue to unnecessarily pump out additional GHG is to my mind folly. It’s akin to assuming no steps are required to arrive at the destination. There is plenty of coal left and waiting for it all to be used up will take generations. Conversion from coal isn’t going to happen overnight and frankly, other than nuclear power there are few choices to fossil fuel currently. Might as well burn the cleanest you can until a practical replacement comes along?

power plants are often in the middle of nowhere so removing the emissions from your doorstep/street and putting them out into the middle of nowhere, while not necessary more benefit to the planet it certainly benefits your health if you live in a city with thousands of cars.

power plants are often in the middle of nowhere so removing the emissions from your doorstep/street and putting them out into the middle of nowhere, while not necessary more benefit to the planet it certainly benefits your health if you live in a city with thousands of cars.
I was in Shanghai when it was mostly bicycles, air wasn’t great. Back again when they had cars and it was pretty terrible. It’s not just the cars it’s just smog from industry, cars and all the other sources when you have millions crammed together. Bangkok was much the same, last time I was there my eyes were watering and I could taste the fumes, it was a far cry from my first visit.

When I laugh about another carbon tax in Canada stopping climate change I get called a denier, which I’m not! I prefer to think about it more as having had experience in the real world

I was in Shanghai when it was mostly bicycles, air wasn’t great. Back again when they had cars and it was pretty terrible. It’s not just the cars it’s just smog from industry, cars and all the other sources when you have millions crammed together. Bangkok was much the same, last time I was there my eyes were watering and I could taste the fumes, it was a far cry from my first visit.

When I laugh about another carbon tax in Canada stopping climate change I get called a denier, which I’m not! I prefer to think about it more as having had experience in the real world

yeah fair enough for a place with a billion people.

Back to the OP (and thread title): the Rivian truck and SUV are reality now, I'm seeing a couple of locally owned ones on the streets and the occasional out of town unit. I wsnt intersted because the 4 ft box is too small for a work truck, but their owners seem to love them and by accounts they're just incredible in the bush because of the individual drive/traction control to each wheel.

Has anyone on here had a chance to drive one, or know anyone with Rivian?

One of my neighbours has the SUV. I was really impressed by how good it looked, but haven’t ridden in it. Neat looking vehicle for sure.

Ford keeps dragging their feet, my Lightning was built 5 weeks ago but we are somewhere waiting for a train. Or a truck. Who knows.

I've decided no matter when it arrives, I'm towing the boat to the Sunshine Coast on the 12th with gasoline power. I'm not setting off down the highway on in my first ever EV with boat, wife and grandkids aboard. What could possibly go wrong..? I have a reasonably adventurous spirit, but there's common sense as well.

Same for the Winter Harbour trip next month. Driving 1000 km each way including ferries takes us ~14 hours as it is. Not subjecting the group to an extra couple hours of charging time. By next year I'll have a better understanding how this stuff can be managed.

Recently saw my first Rivian SUV. Very good looking rig. See lots of the Rivian pickups from US and some from BC as I am in Squamish the gateway to Whistler :cool:

In laws just got theirs a few weeks ago. It’s insanely fast quad motor. They waited the two years or whatever it was to get it. Build quality is not what I would expect for a 125k car but much like Tesla they are going through their growing pains first. The Tesla fit and finish seems to be getting better. Definitely a fun truck to drive

Saw a live f150 Lightning yesterday and chatted with its proud **** eating grin owner who I know.
Looks very nice with some distinct appearance features compared to my and everyone else's gas version. 480km range, which is enough to to get from Okanagan to LM. The two mountain passes might change that, but there is charging stations at Loon Lake and up near the old toll booth.

Fast chargers in Merritt, Princeton, Hope, Chilliwack. Medium fast chargers along the Coq and Connector as mentioned, also at Manning Park lodge and Hope Slide. Busy weekends could mean a wait, same as at Hope gas stations.

Back