Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Ford have suspended manufacturing of the F150 Lightning due to an unspecified battery fault. FFS, will I ever get my truck? Dealer says my order has moved up to Priority 01, meaning the factory will build it, but still no build date or VIN.

https://insideevs.com/news/652503/ford-f150-lightning-production-paused-possible-battery-problem/

Dodge has just released info on a 2024 Ram EV, I guess I better reserve one of those too. NFI when Silverado will make it to market either.

They've suspended selling of any on lots as well. :oops:

Moot point, they're all spoken for in pre orders anyway.
I’m not against EVs, or Ford- I drive a ranger- just think to suspend all production and release of vehicles to the public period speaks volumes to the issue. Of course I do think the fact that Ford lost 2billion last year to recalls may be contributing to their thoroughness.

I thought you ordered a cyber truck anyway? Or have you ordered one of everything to make it a surprise? 😉

No reservation on the cybertruck for me. Maybe if the production version looks like it might be useful work truck. Same for the Rivian, what use do I have for a 4 ft box? But I do have a res for the Chevy EV truck. Might put one in for the Dodge, need to go to dealership and ask some questions.

I have a work fleet of 4 vehicles, I get something new every 4-5 years and sell the oldest vehicle. Keep em 12-15 years and 300-350,000 km. If the Ford arrived tomorrow I'd still take another EV truck in a couple years. $5000 a year saved is worth it.

Happened to be passing the local Ford dealership the other day. Did a double take. Shiny white F150 Lightning on the lot, ready to go. WTF? Pulled in, ready to stomp into the office demanding to know why my truck hasn't arrived but there's one on the lot up for grabs.

Did a quick circle around the truck first... oh. It's the Platinum trim, top of the line. Hand over $118,000 and drive away today. Later conversation with sales people, apparently Ford decided to build all the luxury Lariat and Platinum trim models before us plebs get our lowly XLT vehicles.

There is a Rivian for sale in Abbotsford, they have come down to $135,000 from $147,000, it has around 7000k on it, not in my world either. I put the $150 refundable deposit down on the Cyber truck. I thinks it's ugly and ridiculous, but...

I still don't see how people are going to use these trucks unless you just want a truck to drive around in that is electric as a people mover. They cant tow very far without charging.

I'm curious what people plan to use them for or are you ok with recharging each time you plan to tow anywhere or are people using them for work/recreational trucks that dont require towing.

I was super excited to put my name down originally but then as I have seen the towing I realized there is no way I can get rid of my ICE truck, I cant tow our lake boat from the house to the cabin without having to stop to charge possibly twice on the way.

Would rarely put on more than 200k per day. Need a bed for shop projects and need to tow a an 8000 pound dump tailer around. Electric will work perfect for me, there just aren't any options that I'm really interested in.

meh. hope no one bought a rivian since they have the parasitic draw issue.
i like technology as much as anyone else but it should be [ A ] useful and [ B ] add additional capability for the user before considering it on your next truck/boat/aircraft or whatever.
these electric trucks arent very useful due to range/temperature issues and dont add any additional capability for the user over a ICE vehicle.
i have a ebike, battery powered prop RIB and electric jet powered kayak but at least those can go for 12 hours without running out of battery capacity. thats useful in my book (no mechanical bits to service) and add additional capability (now i can add autodock and autohelm to the boats with lidar and linear servo and the ebike lets me go further on pedal power/go off road easily for 20km+).
electric cars/trucks arent there yet.[/B]

I still don't see how people are going to use these trucks unless you just want a truck to drive around in that is electric as a people mover. They cant tow very far without charging.

I'm curious what people plan to use them for or are you ok with recharging each time you plan to tow anywhere or are people using them for work/recreational trucks that dont require towing.

I was super excited to put my name down originally but then as I have seen the towing I realized there is no way I can get rid of my ICE truck, I cant tow our lake boat from the house to the cabin without having to stop to charge possibly twice on the way.
How often do you see brand new trucks without a single scratch on it, nothing in the bed. For me I feel like every second truck I see nowadays is just a people mover. I know there are a lot of people that use their trucks for work and different jobs but plenty go completely unused as trucks. For people that just need to put some tools or throw bikes in back, the rivian would work great, if you have deep pockets.

Would rarely put on more than 200k per day. Need a bed for shop projects and need to tow a an 8000 pound dump tailer around. Electric will work perfect for me, there just aren't any options that I'm really interested in.
Not sure what the other models are claiming but you wouldn't make 200kms in the new Ford electric truck. Motor Trend tested it and ....
" In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles"

Not sure what the other models are claiming but you wouldn't make 200kms in the new Ford electric truck. Motor Trend tested it and ....
" In MotorTrend testing, an F-150 Lightning Platinum saddled with a camper that nearly maxed out its 8,500-pound towing capacity couldn't even cover 100 miles"
This is what I've read too.

They are great kids sport gear haulers around town. Not the best for being a truck. If you want a truck to haul a trailer and all your gear, you still need a ICE. The f150 has done a great job at being a great vehicle for the soccer moms but if you want to tow something of size, you still need a bigger truck with range. I’ll get 1,000 km to a tank in my old Cummins so she won’t be traded in anytime soon. I couldn’t make it to the cabin in Princeton with an f150 having a comfortable amount of battery life left, so I’d have to stop and charge. And that’s the last thing I’d want to do as I’m trying to get out of town on a Friday after work.

I do think an electric truck would be really good for my work though. The amount of deliveries we do of small items don’t warrant the gas bill of 3/4 ton gassers. The lease cost might be offset by the amount of gas we use driving around town with a 2013 hemi 2500

My 4000# tow to my regular fishing grounds is 40km or less one way, so the current regular Lightning would be plenty enough. Plus no additional vehicle needed for commute to work (have a second car for this). And I can haul all the stuff and people I need in town or the region. So it will work for all my needs plus save me the cost of a second vehicle. Only for 1 or 2 up island foshing trips it would be either more inconvenient due to multiple charging stops or I would loan or rent a gas truck. Workable and justified for the sake of doing something better for this planet than my current V8. And I think in a couple of years we will laugh about today's batteries.

Back