Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Everyone has a different set of uses for their vehicles, and a different set of priorities in their buying decisions. Some people buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck so they can haul a large boat or fifth wheel on one or two trips a year, even though for the rest of their driving they're paying the high fuel and maintenance bills of a vehicle whose capabilities are not being used. That's fine, that two weeks of summer vacation is precious and it's nice to know you have the best rig for the job.

I'd rather have something that works for the 90% of my usage and figure out a workaround for the atypical stuff. So I don't try to maintain 120 kmh towing out of the Okanagan with my half ton, it only adds 5 minutes to the trip to sit on 100, and it gobbles gas since it's working so hard. But the rest of the year it's all the truck I need.

Same principle for EV. My annual driving is 24000 km, above the average, but only 3000 of that is out of town highway trips. Only a handful of days per year when I'll need to figure out where to charge and watch my range remaining. If I have to stop in Hope for 45-60 minutes and have lunch while the truck charges enough to get to the Sunshine Coast, is that really a big deal one trip a year? We habitually stop in Hope for gas/washroom/coffee/snack anyway, so adding a few minutes seems like a minor compromise. Going to the gas station once a week all year adds up to more time than that lunch stop in Hope.

Different uses, different approaches. No one vehicle does everything well.

Everyone has a different set of uses for their vehicles, and a different set of priorities in their buying decisions. Some people buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck so they can haul a large boat or fifth wheel on one or two trips a year, even though for the rest of their driving they're paying the high fuel and maintenance bills of a vehicle whose capabilities are not being used. That's fine, that two weeks of summer vacation is precious and it's nice to know you have the best rig for the job.

I'd rather have something that works for the 90% of my usage and figure out a workaround for the atypical stuff. So I don't try to maintain 120 kmh towing out of the Okanagan with my half ton, it only adds 5 minutes to the trip to sit on 100, and it gobbles gas since it's working so hard. But the rest of the year it's all the truck I need.

Same principle for EV. My annual driving is 24000 km, above the average, but only 3000 of that is out of town highway trips. Only a handful of days per year when I'll need to figure out where to charge and watch my range remaining. If I have to stop in Hope for 45-60 minutes and have lunch while the truck charges enough to get to the Sunshine Coast, is that really a big deal one trip a year? We habitually stop in Hope for gas/washroom/coffee/snack anyway, so adding a few minutes seems like a minor compromise. Going to the gas station once a week all year adds up to more time than that lunch stop in Hope.

Different uses, different approaches. No one vehicle does everything well.
Are the charging stations set up where you could pull in with a trailer? I’ve never paid much attention to them but I don’t think most are easy to pull in with a trailer behind you.

I went the opposite of you. 1ton truck that sits in the driveway and puddle jumper for the everyday use. Back seats fold down flat so I can still fit a lot in there unless it’s 8’ long

Are the charging stations set up where you could pull in with a trailer? I’ve never paid much attention to them but I don’t think most are easy to pull in with a trailer behind you.

I went the opposite of you. 1ton truck that sits in the driveway and puddle jumper for the everyday use. Back seats fold down flat so I can still fit a lot in there unless it’s 8’ long
Yep nothing wrong with that approach if it fits your cash flow. The 1 ton represents a lot of capital sitting there, but with the low mileage it would retain a lot of value too. Way better than driving it all year and paying that big fuel bill.

I've taken more interest in charging stations since I decided to buy an EV, but since I still am yet to actually receive it, I haven't looked at a wide sampling of them. The Tesla setups seem to be mostly nose-in, not great for a truck and boat rig. I have a Petro Canada account for out of town so I generally check out their chargers, they seem a bit better. The one in Hope would work for a boat rig with a bit of backing and adjusting to get the trailer out of traffic around gas pumps.

I was scrolling around on one of the charge apps looking along routes I normally use, and spotted one I didn't know about: the Hope Slide rest stop. Summer weekends can be so busy in Hope, that looks like a good spot to pull in on a trip when I can't arrange schedule to avoid the busy part of the day. Even conventional gas stations are slammed in Hope at peak times.

I seen a Tesla on a used car lot, i was driving by but curiors what they are selling it for

kinda scare tho with the unknown condition of the battery

I seen a Tesla on a used car lot, i was driving by but curiors what they are selling it for

Used Tesla's are ridiculously priced, or at least they were earlier this year. Used car prices have definitely softened, but not sure about Tesla's.

I traded my 2019 model 3 in towards a new F150 and the dealership gave me more than I paid for it new (3 years old and 35000 clicks). They then sold it for almost 10000 more than it cost me brand new and it wasn't on the lot more than a couple days.

Used Tesla's are ridiculously priced, or at least they were earlier this year. Used car prices have definitely softened, but not sure about Tesla's.

I traded my 2019 model 3 in towards a new F150 and the dealership gave me more than I paid for it new (3 years old and 35000 clicks). They then sold it for almost 10000 more than it cost me brand new and it wasn't on the lot more than a couple days.

That’s kinda what I suspected thanks

Used Teslas has the most number for sale in BC over any make or model right now......

Makes one wonder why (2600 and counting)

Used Teslas has the most number for sale in BC over any make or model right now......

Makes one wonder why (2600 and counting)
Probably because the model 3 isn't that nice of a car. Looks just plain jane and everyone on the block has one so they've lost their allure. They were nice when they first came out but now they are everywhere and therefor not as cool LOL. The Mach E mustang is better looking, nicer interior, and same price point as model 3.

The hot seller for Tesla now is model Y. Many people selling their model 3 sedan and moving on to the SUV format. Model 3 took Tesla into the stratosphere because of its combination of price point and range, but times move on and there is more choice in the marketplace - plus a hot used car market.

I guess as long as its not coming from our back yard or Alberta its all fine in Trudea’s and Guilbeault’s world. The hypocrisy and ignorance of these people is appalling.

I guess as long as its not coming from our back yard or Alberta its all fine in Trudea’s and Guilbeault’s world. The hypocrisy and ignorance of these people is appalling.

Newer EVs like Tesla 3 LR and Model Y, all the BYD range have moved to LiFePo battery architecture. Does not use cobalt.

Let's leave the politics out of it.

Back