Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

I don’t think there will ever be a 100% solution, but that’s no reason to accept one that is somewhat less. Every time new technology comes on line many people find reasons to not embrace it. I’m sure when the first automobiles were being built many preferred to stick with a horse simply because it was something they knew and were used to.

I don't see everyone transitioning overnight, but it appears more and more that’s the way things are going. Even if only half the people switched, would that be a bad thing? There will always be people who need the extended range that you get from an ICE and right now no electric vehicle can take the place of them. However the vast majority of us don’t use our vehicles for long trips, so maybe for us it’s practical.

If you think 50k for a vehicle is steep, take a look at an F350 work truck, better yet check out a tricked out F150 that never hauls anything bigger than would fit in a Corolla’s trunk. I’m not saying electric is for everyone now, but I suspect it’s the way we’re going. Good news is maybe if the demand for gas goes down it will be cheaper for you
Yes I own a newer F250 diesel and just ordered a new GMC diesel truck so I realize they are also very expensive. I’m not against EVs at all. I don’t think having one is a bad thing. You just mentioned that they were a solution which means they have solved some sort of problem. I don’t think they are a solution to anything yet. If we could change the stigma around nuclear power and get rid of burning fossil fuels and then used that electricity to power the grid and the EVs, I think that could really make a difference environmentally. Burning coal and natural gas to generate more power due to EV demands isn’t really a solution. We have to start somewhere though and I am a fan. Those Tesla Plaids are pretty awesome but unfortunately 170kCad.

Yes I own a newer F250 diesel and just ordered a new GMC diesel truck so I realize they are also very expensive. I’m not against EVs at all. I don’t think having one is a bad thing. You just mentioned that they were a solution which means they have solved some sort of problem. I don’t think they are a solution to anything yet. If we could change the stigma around nuclear power and get rid of burning fossil fuels and then used that electricity to power the grid and the EVs, I think that could really make a difference environmentally. Burning coal and natural gas to generate more power due to EV demands isn’t really a solution. We have to start somewhere though and I am a fan. Those Tesla Plaids are pretty awesome but unfortunately 170kCad.
Nuclear is the only way out of this.

I never said they were the solution,I said there is no 100% solution at this point, my point being EV’s are a step.I guess to my mind they have solved at least some of the problems of exhaust emissions, noise, enabled limited reliance on Big Oils Gasoline products and with a home charger eliminated visits to the gas station or even a public charging station. Now, have they eliminated the need for all oil products, no, clearly they use some, just not as much or many as an ICE. People often argue we still need some oil products and I totally agree, but it’s not binary, it’s not an all or nothing issue. We are realistically looking at reduction not elimination. The argument that EV’s use lubricants for example doesn’t to my mind mean that mean we still have to burn gas.

I agree power generation and the current infrastructure to support them, (no pun intended) are still issues, as were gas stations and roads when the first autos were developed. Nuclear may be the answer, but until that time, any other method,for example hydro, is a good start although like any energy source,comes with some environmental cost. I'm sure you’re aware nuclear power has had some well documented issues as well and to the risk adverse is a non starter. Once again there isn’t a 100% solution but we can start and with complex problems there is often a requirement to tackle them in phases.

I also agree a Tesla high end sports car costs and arm and a leg so it’s on the list of Ferrari, Bugatti, Porsche McLaren etc that are even further out of my price range.

Full disclosure, I have a boat and love to fish year round, so I’m not some smug anti oil activist.

Last edited:
I'd be driving an F150 EV now if Ford would build me one. Priced at 68,000 CAD for XLT trim, whereas the Eco Boost XLT is 58,000. 10K extra for a fraction of the energy bill and almost zero maintenance, that 10K would be recovered in 2 years. No CO2 emissions is a bonus.

The article claiming we need one public charger for every 10 EVs is patently wrong, just big oil/climate denier nonsense. We need fewer chargers than gas pumps because many EV owners will charge at home. How often would you visit a gas station if you left home every day with a full tank? Remember the average 20,000 km a year driven equates to just 55 km a day.

Cities have a greater proportion of condo dwellers than smaller centres do, getting chargers for condo buildings is less simple than for single family homes.

Got the call from the dealer and hustled over there yesterday to confirm options/colour, pay deposit and place order for F150 Lightning. It's a crapshoot though with such high demand vs first year production capacity. Over 200,000 reservations received and they'll maybe build 20,000 units. Still, just being invited to order at least puts me in the running. Local dealership is placing 25 orders from 60 reservations, and has been told they'll get 7 or 8 actually delivered.

We tried to read the tea leaves to choose a configuration that the factory is most likely to build. My choices seem to be in line with that: XLT trim, standard range battery, white paint, no additional options. Apparently the long range battery will be hard to get for a couple of years. I wasn't interested anyway.

Now to wait for my order to be "plucked", meaning the factory has decided to build that specific vehicle. Then about 6 weeks after that for it to arrive at the dealer lot. Production is to begin "in spring", whatever that means. Truck could arrive anywhere in 2-12 months. Or not at all in this model year. Helluva way to shop.

Got the call from the dealer and hustled over there yesterday to confirm options/colour, pay deposit and place order for F150 Lightning. It's a crapshoot though with such high demand vs first year production capacity. Over 200,000 reservations received and they'll maybe build 20,000 units. Still, just being invited to order at least puts me in the running. Local dealership is placing 25 orders from 60 reservations, and has been told they'll get 7 or 8 actually delivered.

We tried to read the tea leaves to choose a configuration that the factory is most likely to build. My choices seem to be in line with that: XLT trim, standard range battery, white paint, no additional options. Apparently the long range battery will be hard to get for a couple of years. I wasn't interested anyway.

Now to wait for my order to be "plucked", meaning the factory has decided to build that specific vehicle. Then about 6 weeks after that for it to arrive at the dealer lot. Production is to begin "in spring", whatever that means. Truck could arrive anywhere in 2-12 months. Or not at all in this model year. Helluva way to shop.

What was the sticker price and are you going to actually be paying sticker or is the dealer marking it up? That is, if they actually get your order. I have a reservation too but it's not looking very promising...

Factory orders are still a long ways out for most vehicles. I am waiting 8-16 months for most of my orders. Doesn't seem to matter what you are after.

Tacoma's are well over a year. Ford has 4 years of orders in the bank for their vans. High end stuff has run as long as 18 months.

Anything new in the pipeline with be "winning the lottery"......MSRP will be the normal for quite awhile. Some dealers are selling over MSRP for their hotter products.

To add....

As a dealer, like most, we are not holding our breath for many vehicles and we are hoping that later this fall, things just might be on the start of having product to sell.

yeah they bought out my truck, just got new tires, all new brakes and calipers and a new licence plate. So i think ill be stuck with not a new one for a long time now.

Usually dump them before putting that kind of work into them.

What was the sticker price and are you going to actually be paying sticker or is the dealer marking it up? That is, if they actually get your order. I have a reservation too but it's not looking very promising...
I'm paying sticker price, $68,000. Somewhat impressed that price hasn't been jacked since they were flooded with reservations.

Note also that reservations have opened for the Silverado EV truck. Apparently 2024 model is already booked out. Interested parties are invited to fork over $100 to hold a spot for a 2025 truck.

Oddly enough, I decided to hedge the bets and reserve a place. Will be wanting to switch out another of the work fleet by then I'm sure. Gas will probably hit $2/litre this summer, I'll have had a gut full of those prices by 2025.

Factory orders are still a long ways out for most vehicles. I am waiting 8-16 months for most of my orders. Doesn't seem to matter what you are after.

Tacoma's are well over a year. Ford has 4 years of orders in the bank for their vans. High end stuff has run as long as 18 months.

Anything new in the pipeline with be "winning the lottery"......MSRP will be the normal for quite awhile. Some dealers are selling over MSRP for their hotter products.
I cancelled my GMC 1500 diesel order and I’m going to order a new 3500 Silverado. Any chance you’ve ordered from Chev recently ? Just curious the possible wait times. I’ve been told 4-6 months.

Note also that reservations have opened for the Silverado EV truck. Apparently 2024 model is already booked out. Interested parties are invited to fork over $100 to hold a spot for a 2025 truck.

Oddly enough, I decided to hedge the bets and reserve a place. Will be wanting to switch out another of the work fleet by then I'm sure. Gas will probably hit $2/litre this summer, I'll have had a gut full of those prices by 2025.

I cancelled my GMC 1500 diesel order and I’m going to order a new 3500 Silverado. Any chance you’ve ordered from Chev recently ? Just curious the possible wait times. I’ve been told 4-6 months.

Lots depends on the dealer and the "space" they have in the order banks. GM for example, when a factory order comes in you need to get it sold and registered right away because if you don't do that, it affects your next month ordering.....

Ordering fleet means you will be waiting for a long time!

Order "retail" usually means a faster delivery.....for me doing all makes commercial leasing, I tell my clients if you get it in 6 months, you are lucky! 8 months is better guess and go up from there.

Currently GM cargo vans are starting second year of no product. Ford has close to 4 years of orders for any configuration of their vans.

Ram seems to supply faster at present

Back