Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

nice old truck in this video, to be 40 years younger I would be looking at this create motor.

Reactions: GLG
Nice to not have to lineup at the home charger! Guess I’ll be parking the truck until the lineups die down and using electric.

We put a reservation in for a Tesla Cyber Truck because it will match my boat.... hahaha just kidding (or am I ??? ;) ) . I actually wanted a mini-van but they don't make a full EV minivan... yet. Here is why I went Cyber truck over F150 or RIVAN

1) Price - I reserved the lowest model (single motor, 2wd) I live in Victoria and only need it to tow my boat occasionally. Price is supposed to be $39,000 USD.
2) It seats 6 - I wanted a minivan for the 7 passenger seating. Cyber truck gets me seating for 6 so close enough. F150 is 5 passenger Rivan is 5 but the 3 in the back will be cramped
3) No paint - stainless steel unibody is good for me as I hate worrying about paint chips etc
4) Its a full sized truck - RIVAN is a small truck (I get its for different users)
5) I can power my house in a black out with it (so can the F150) the Rivan cannot
6) It has a heat pump and "camping mode" we currently car camp with our minivan and plan to do the same with the cyber truck. In "camping mode" it will keep us warm at night with the heat pump. We can also use the power plugs to run appliances and other equipment.
7) It can tow my 18ft Aluminum boat - Yes the range will be affected (projections are roughly 1/2 loss of range) but base model should be good for just under 400km per charge for lowest trim level and there are superchargers. Being in Victoria I don't often go too far from the city so range won't be a big issue most of the time.

So basically I get close to the utility of a minivan, fully utility of a truck, also the functionality of an emergency power station for blackouts, a camper that will keep me warm all night.

As for the looks... well I thought it was ridiculous at first but then I grew to like it. reminded me of Blade runner and Back to the future kind of combo design. I think the RIVAN and F150 are cool too but the price puts them out of what I would consider spending for a truck.

My little 5 year old boy already likes it and keeps asking "when are we getting the cyber truck?"

We put a reservation in for a Tesla Cyber Truck because it will match my boat.... hahaha just kidding (or am I ??? ;) ) . I actually wanted a mini-van but they don't make a full EV minivan... yet. Here is why I went Cyber truck over F150 or RIVAN

1) Price - I reserved the lowest model (single motor, 2wd) I live in Victoria and only need it to tow my boat occasionally. Price is supposed to be $39,000 USD.
2) It seats 6 - I wanted a minivan for the 7 passenger seating. Cyber truck gets me seating for 6 so close enough. F150 is 5 passenger Rivan is 5 but the 3 in the back will be cramped
3) No paint - stainless steel unibody is good for me as I hate worrying about paint chips etc
4) Its a full sized truck - RIVAN is a small truck (I get its for different users)
5) I can power my house in a black out with it (so can the F150) the Rivan cannot
6) It has a heat pump and "camping mode" we currently car camp with our minivan and plan to do the same with the cyber truck. In "camping mode" it will keep us warm at night with the heat pump. We can also use the power plugs to run appliances and other equipment.
7) It can tow my 18ft Aluminum boat - Yes the range will be affected (projections are roughly 1/2 loss of range) but base model should be good for just under 400km per charge for lowest trim level and there are superchargers. Being in Victoria I don't often go too far from the city so range won't be a big issue most of the time.

So basically I get close to the utility of a minivan, fully utility of a truck, also the functionality of an emergency power station for blackouts, a camper that will keep me warm all night.

As for the looks... well I thought it was ridiculous at first but then I grew to like it. reminded me of Blade runner and Back to the future kind of combo design. I think the RIVAN and F150 are cool too but the price puts them out of what I would consider spending for a truck.

My little 5 year old boy already likes it and keeps asking "when are we getting the cyber truck?"
What did Tesla say about the stainless steel maintenance? Guessing it would be 304 stainless. I wonder if it will be grained or more of a mill finish. And are you supposed to wax it or use a fridge / stove type cleaner / sealer?
Congrats. Seems like a good price for what you are getting.

did they give you an estimate on when they will have it for you?

What did Tesla say about the stainless steel maintenance? Guessing it would be 304 stainless. I wonder if it will be grained or more of a mill finish. And are you supposed to wax it or use a fridge / stove type cleaner / sealer?
Congrats. Seems like a good price for what you are getting.
No mention about the type of steel. The only info is that it will be the same type of stainless Steel they use on the SPACE X rocket which I think was a cool marketing gimmick

Ford has over 160,000 reservations for F150 Lightning. They've announced production increases for 2023 and 2024 model years that result in a total of 130,000 trucks built over the three years 2022-2024. Less than a quarter of us will get out truck next year.

I guess I'll be spending some money on my Silverado and keep it out beyond 250,000 km (at 190,000 now). Even if I did break down and buy another new ICE truck, it would be many months to get that anyway.

Get a home charger and a large portion of the problem goes away. EV‘s may not be practical for everyone but the vast majority of people don’t travel a couple of hundred miles a day, some do and an EV would be a challenge for them. The vast majority of vehicles are used for daily commutes to work and how many people live that far from work? Charge it at home, go to work and top it up when you get home, it’s pretty simple.
People need to realize just because a solution isn’t 100% for everyone, it’s can still be a darn good solution.

Get a home charger and a large portion of the problem goes away. EV‘s may not be practical for everyone but the vast majority of people don’t travel a couple of hundred miles a day, some do and an EV would be a challenge for them. The vast majority of vehicles are used for daily commutes to work and how many people live that far from work? Charge it at home, go to work and top it up when you get home, it’s pretty simple.
People need to realize just because a solution isn’t 100% for everyone, it’s can still be a darn good solution.
What solution does an EV provide ?
I’m a fan of EVs but I’m not sure they are really doing much good other then to offer us different stuff to drive . The Rivian is basically the size of a Tacoma and is twice as much to purchase so you certainly aren’t saving money. It may seem that way each month after purchase but it’s going to take awhile to pay back the 50k extra price tag for the vehicle and the home charger cost which varies depending on panel size but can also be quite expensive. We are fortunate to generate electricity here using dams and rivers for the most part but this isn’t the case everywhere. Most places burn fossil fuels to generate power so if we can agree that’s the case, are we any further ahead environmentally than driving a Honda Civic?
I am a fan of these vehicles but aside from a Nissan Leaf and maybe the basic Tesla model 3 which Is still over 50k , these are nothing more than government subsidized (you and I) supercars driven by mainly wealthy people. They have awesome autopilot and really fast 0-60 times but other than that, I’m not sure there are any benefits over a fuel efficient ICE vehicle at this point.

I’m a fan of EVs but I’m not sure they are really doing much good other then to offer us different stuff to drive . The Rivian is basically the size of a Tacoma and is twice as much to purchase so you certainly aren’t saving money. It may seem that way each month after purchase but it’s going to take awhile to pay back the 50k extra price tag for the vehicle and the home charger cost which varies depending on panel size but can also be quite expensive. We are fortunate to generate electricity here using dams and rivers for the most part but this isn’t the case everywhere. Most places burn fossil fuels to generate power so if we can agree that’s the case, are we any further ahead environmentally than driving a Honda Civic?
I am a fan of these vehicles but aside from a Nissan Leaf and maybe the basic Tesla model 3 which Is still over 50k , these are nothing more than government subsidized (you and I) supercars driven by mainly wealthy people. They have awesome autopilot and really fast 0-60 times but other than that, I’m not sure there are any benefits over a fuel efficient ICE vehicle at this point.

in cities they greatly reduce smog. It was nice to see how clear the mountains were during the early days of covid.

how much they actually move the climate needle, no idea

I don’t think there will ever be a 100% solution, but that’s no reason to accept one that is somewhat less. Every time new technology comes on line many people find reasons to not embrace it. I’m sure when the first automobiles were being built many preferred to stick with a horse simply because it was something they knew and were used to.

I don't see everyone transitioning overnight, but it appears more and more that’s the way things are going. Even if only half the people switched, would that be a bad thing? There will always be people who need the extended range that you get from an ICE and right now no electric vehicle can take the place of them. However the vast majority of us don’t use our vehicles for long trips, so maybe for us it’s practical.

If you think 50k for a vehicle is steep, take a look at an F350 work truck, better yet check out a tricked out F150 that never hauls anything bigger than would fit in a Corolla’s trunk. I’m not saying electric is for everyone now, but I suspect it’s the way we’re going. Good news is maybe if the demand for gas goes down it will be cheaper for you

There's something to be said about the carbon footprint of a dollar. Nobody ever talks about it, I'm not sure why. Money is made by producing something. If you spend more on something, then more was produced to make that purchase. I've always thought of this with these big green homes we're building. The better solution is more modest homes. I can't even imagine the carbon footprint of all that foam we're wrapping these net zero homes in. Not to mention what is going to take to throw it all away in 50 years when the tower goes in it's place.

There's something to be said about the carbon footprint of a dollar. Nobody ever talks about it, I'm not sure why. Money is made by producing something. If you spend more on something, then more was produced to make that purchase. I've always thought of this with these big green homes we're building. The better solution is more modest homes. I can't even imagine the carbon footprint of all that foam we're wrapping these net zero homes in. Not to mention what is going to take to throw it all away in 50 years when the tower goes in it's place.
Kind of like all those strings of LED Christmas lights that were supposed to be long lasting and good for the environment. From my personal experience they are only good for recycling. Lucky to get one season out of them.

Back