DFO Announces further SRKW Restrictions

If it’s unsafe to go slow have your day in court

but it’s highly unlikely you would ever get a fine I’m guessing
Agreed × 2......but we should be directing our government to not compromise safety in areas where they have not considered it because of lack of experience or knowledge

I've paid my SFI membership and continue to correspond with bob Zimmerman. My point is we as group need to be fully aware, that the minister and her close associates as well as a number of DFO managers, are radical environmental activists, they are not interested in conservation or resource management, they have world views they believe we should all be living, and its net zero carbon, a plant based diets, the straight of Georgia should be as close to a marine park as possible.

“Southern Resident killer whales have called the Pacific coast home for thousands of years, and we want to see their population grow, flourish, and return to their former abundance. Our government has been taking significant actions to protect these majestic creatures and we will enhance our protection measures to help limit the impacts of human activity in their habitats. We’ll continue this important work in partnership with industry, Indigenous groups, the science community, and others."

The Honourable Joyce Murray
Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

I've high lighted that quote for you, " we want to see their population grow, flourish, and return to their former abundance ", this is a blanket statement, there are no goals to be met, she simply has placed an indefinite time line and an unknown number for their population. Since they have been monitored the population has moved from 66 to 90, and sits at 74 now, so what is flourish?, is it 90? 100? 200? what is her end goal? what is it they want to achieve ? they never say nor will they but we have a hint in the next statement "we will enhance our protection measures to help limit the impacts of human activity in their habitats ". the key words are " we will enhance " and " Limit human activity ", she will continue to block sports fishing until the SKW have their private aquarium and there is a minimum of marine traffic. So lets not ask again why they don't follow the scientific data, they sooner we all realize the ENGOs and Ministry are at war with the sports fishing community the better we can formulate a strategy.
The only marine traffic they will be limiting is pleasure craft as the rest like oil tankers that upon collision with orcas actually kill them on impact are growing in numbers. Rules for thee not for me.

Sorry can’t see any of the guys out of renfrew following this crap. They’d have to add like 2 hours to their travel time to the bank plus good luck going that slow in the typical seas out there. Can’t imagine what dfo will come up with next.

The only marine traffic they will be limiting is pleasure craft as the rest like oil tankers that upon collision with orcas actually kill them on impact are growing in numbers. Rules for thee not for me.
What typically happens on a deep draft ship when underway is the positive pressure wave on the bow becomes an area that pushes things away so its hard to hit a marine mammal and there is no risk of collision. Marine mammals like dolphins,porpoises and whales play in this area and surf on the wave. What is of concern is the acoustic disturbance. Consider high speed ferries like our BCF fleet are more likely to cause a whale strike than a tanker or my little fishing boat.

EXCELLENT and right-on-the-spot post Steeler! :)

It's actually the bulbous bow ships that collect whales every once in a while (referencing VF's post), and occasionally a prop boat cuts a whale w the prop. As far as numbers go wrt population size - pretty low. There's only 1 example for the SRKW that I am aware of:

And to be honest - was it actually the ship strike that killed the whale - or was the whale suffering from something else and couldn't move out of the way fast enuff?

Since orcas can swim as fast as 56 km/h or 30kts, and most commercial cargo vessels travel at ~20kts or less (ships transiting the management area
less - but on average container ships and cruise ships are a bit faster) and are noisy - one would think it would be relatively easy for an aware orca to simply move a few 10s of meters out of the way.

And it is my understanding that that DFO does NOT regulate ship speed and cannot legally regulate ship speed thru fishing regs.

INSTEAD Transport Canada can thru the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations (VORR) under the Canada Shipping Act and after Consultation
and being posted in the Canada Gazette. Port Authorities can also regulate speed within their tenure as described in their letters patent thru the Operations Regulations under the Marine Act.

QUESTION: Did the participants in this call remember if DFO described under what regulation/act how those proposed speed reductions would occur? and if they were "voluntary"?
Fisheries notices do not have any regulatory/legal authority to force any boat to restrict speed.

IN ADDITION:
I remember that in the last round of the posted Emergency Protection Order that created the Interim Sanctuary Zones off Pender Island and Saturna Islands - there were exceptions for emergency situations. Sounds like it fits here also after reading the previous posts. When the proposed 2022 Emergency Protection Orders are posted in the Gazette - there is typically a 30 day consultation period. May be the time then to bring-up the safety issue.

I believe we're going at this all backwards. Instead of spending all this dough on enforcement, thinking that rules at a terminal fishery will fix things. Why aren't we spending twice, ten times as much on the front end at the hatcheries,creeks, rivers, estuaries? No one wants to talk about the incompetance at Jordan River for example, incompetence from Industry and government alike. A river that once flourished, full with fish, now devoid of life.

I believe we're going at this all backwards. Instead of spending all this dough on enforcement, thinking that rules at a terminal fishery will fix things. Why aren't we spending twice, ten times as much on the front end at the hatcheries,creeks, rivers, estuaries? No one wants to talk about the incompetance at Jordan River for example, incompetence from Industry and government alike. A river that once flourished, full with fish, now devoid of life.

EXCELLENT and right-on-the-spot post Steeler! :)

It's actually the bulbous bow ships that collect whales every once in a while (referencing VF's post), and occasionally a prop boat cuts a whale w the prop. As far as numbers go wrt population size - pretty low. There's only 1 example for the SRKW that I am aware of:

And to be honest - was it actually the ship strike that killed the whale - or was the whale suffering from something else and couldn't move out of the way fast enuff?

Since orcas can swim as fast as 56 km/h or 30kts, and most commercial cargo vessels travel at ~20kts or less (ships transiting the management area
less - but on average container ships and cruise ships are a bit faster) and are noisy - one would think it would be relatively easy for an aware orca to simply move a few 10s of meters out of the way.

And it is my understanding that that DFO does NOT regulate ship speed and cannot legally regulate ship speed thru fishing regs.

INSTEAD Transport Canada can thru the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations (VORR) under the Canada Shipping Act and after Consultation
and being posted in the Canada Gazette. Port Authorities can also regulate speed within their tenure as described in their letters patent thru the Operations Regulations under the Marine Act.

QUESTION: Did the participants in this call remember if DFO described under what regulation/act how those proposed speed reductions would occur? and if they were "voluntary"?
Fisheries notices do not have any regulatory/legal authority to force any boat to restrict speed.

IN ADDITION:
I remember that in the last round of the posted Emergency Protection Order that created the Interim Sanctuary Zones off Pender Island and Saturna Islands - there were exceptions for emergency situations. Sounds like it fits here also after reading the previous posts. When the proposed 2022 Emergency Protection Orders are posted in the Gazette - there is typically a 30 day consultation period. May be the time then to bring-up the safety issue.
You are 100% on the bulbous bow collecting the odd whale, however they are usually already in a state of necrosis and high floating when collected. Good Questions you need to ask. I'm glad you're listening. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have cleaned up this thread as it was wandering off topic. Stick to the subject matter in the thread title. We are not going down the path of pipelines, general, non-fisheries related politics or ideologies here, that inevitably derail threads.

Still falls under enforcement though as industry should by law and damage deposit be required to clean up after themselves or not make a mess in the first place.Why should the taxpayer be required to clan up the mess?

" Murray said her goal as minister is to leave as many fish in the ocean as possible and to grow as much ocean vegetation as possible to combat climate change — and that harvesters would have to accept a sacrifice as part of climate change efforts. "

Joyce is dedicated vegan, and climate alarmist, she has no business managing our resources for her own personal political agenda, She is in direct conflict with her job as minister.

There is no way DFO or even Coast Guard can enforce this 10kt rule near Renfrew. Or do you think they sit on a rock on the Westcoast trail with a radar gun? One of these BS "we gotta do something" measures.

As for power of advocacy; not a day goes by that there isn't someone from Vancouver Aquarium or Watershed Watch or some other radical enviro organization on record on the radio or TV demanding 12 months fishing closures in BC or what not. Why isn't SFI or others daily on radio or TV if we are so strong in numbers and economic power!!???

What are we going to leave to our offspring? Keys to a villa in mexico?

Last edited:
There is no way DFO or even Coast Guard can enforce this 10kt rule near Renfrew. Or do you think they sit on a rock on the Westcoast trail with a radar gun? One of these BS "we gotta do something" measures.

As for power of advocacy; not a day goes by that there isn't someone from Vancouver Aquarium or Watershed Watch or some other radical enviro organization on record on the radio or TV demanding 12 months fishing closures in BC or what not. Why isn't SFI or others daily on radio or TV if we are so strong in numbers and economic power!!???
The problem is if you allow it in this zone it will eventually encompass the entire area the strait of Georgia and all of Juan de Fuca including sooke

Understand your concerns. The measures take those into account allowing exceptions for vessel safety as required. If sea conditions are really that bad, most vessel operators are not able to run at speeds much over 10kts and again, the measures account for exceptions. (vessels avoiding unforeseen hazards)
Had a chance to look up the formulas for swell speed at Swiftsure. Some incredible numbers.
Doesn't exactly look viable to maintain 10 knots. The swell travels at 30 knots with a 10 second period which is an average condition we work in. Table at top right. ref. Oceanography of the British Columbia Coast published by Dept. Of Fisheries and Oceans

Attachments

• 20220505_093506.jpg
    20220505_093506.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Had a chance to look up the formulas for swell speed at Swiftsure. Some incredible numbers.
Doesn't exactly look viable to maintain 10 knots. The swell travels at 30 knots with a 10 second period which is an average condition we work in. Table at top right. ref. Oceanography of the British Columbia Coast published by Dept. Of Fisheries and Oceans
Absolutely, and as noted there are exceptions for conditions...I'll have my day in court explaining to a judge why under those types of conditions it was necessary to run my vessel at speeds higher than 10 kts....and expect to win every time. One would hope the C&P folks wouldn't be dumb enough to take a run at someone operating in rough sea conditions in a manner where speeds over 10kts were used to dodge the swells. That said, no one's running at mach chicken in those conditions either....we are talking about taking reasonable measures to safely transit an area. Try that in flat calm conditions, and I think you would have a difficult time convincing any judge however.

I think you also mentioned that you planned to write in and provide input to the Transport Canada folks as there is a window for Public Comment once these draft regulations are posted - I hope everyone on this forum takes up that opportunity. Pointless writing it here on a forum - it goes nowhere. There is another mechanism to accomplish amendments.

Absolutely, and as noted there are exceptions for conditions...I'll have my day in court explaining to a judge why under those types of conditions it was necessary to run my vessel at speeds higher than 10 kts....and expect to win every time. One would hope the C&P folks wouldn't be dumb enough to take a run at someone operating in rough sea conditions in a manner where speeds over 10kts were used to dodge the swells. That said, no one's running at mach chicken in those conditions either....we are talking about taking reasonable measures to safely transit an area. Try that in flat calm conditions, and I think you would have a difficult time convincing any judge however.

I think you also mentioned that you planned to write in and provide input to the Transport Canada folks as there is a window for Public Comment once these draft regulations are posted - I hope everyone on this forum takes up that opportunity. Pointless writing it here on a forum - it goes nowhere. There is another mechanism to accomplish amendments.
Ok. But how about this. I'm running from Cowichan bay to Tofino. I leave at 6am, first light..its nice as I pass Sooke and Renfrew but there's a Gale Warning or maybe just 25kts NW for after lunch.....do I a/ keep her going at 20 knots to beat the forecast like a prudent mariner or /b slow down and add an hour to my transit, the wind comes at Gale Force and end up hove to behind some mosquito infested rockpile while being reported overdue....or turn and run with it maybe taking refuge in Renfrew 40 NM astern and now short on fuel....That is the kind of realistic scenario that we deal with.

Back