DFO Announces further SRKW Restrictions

Hey man if you dish it you gotta take it..
Yes your map is correct. Chinook closed until Sept 1.
I think the point that was trying to be made was that if we C&R for chinook in area where it's closed (even if we say we're targeting pinks/chum), DFO might look at this and say, hmm well that didn't stop people from catching chinooks, and shut the whole thing down to all species.
Sorry if I offended you
sadly 29-3 is closed till end of sep 30th
DFO closures for SRKW Management measures for August 1 to September 30. They have completely shut down the North Arm out past QA and 3/4 the way to the Iona Jetty.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp...s-baleines/srkw-measures-mesures-ers-eng.html

Imagine the situation is so dire that you need to remove a few hook and lines from the water so the whales can have a meal. Meantime in the Fraser River there will be a gauntlet of nets attended and unattended destroying the sensitive stocks of concern.
There is something else going on, this cant be about killer whales.

Environmental groups pushed for this. If your going to be angry at anyone this is where it lies.

These proposals were way worse when dfo brought them forward early this year. It could have been way worse if wasn't been for our groups trying to push for alternatives.

Is it ideal? Of course it isn't. But it could have been way worse.

This is nuts. A 10 knot speed limit for ALL vessels in 121-1? From Nitinat to 125 west. Whoever dreamt that up hasn't ridden in a sportfishing boat with any swell or seastate or building forecast.

I believe the alternative was to completely close that section and also the beach fishery. Yes agree it was stupid but dfo already made mind they were going to implement something in Renfrew. It could have gone other way.

One devil in details is our Sooke fall coho fishery. I haven't overlaid the map but it looks like we will be impacted. I lot of coho in fall are in 500 ft water plus off Sooke. This map seems to take that away.

Last edited:
I believe the alternative was to completely close that section and also the beach fishery. Yes agree it was stupid but dfo already made mind they were going to implement something in Renfrew. It could have gone other way.

One devil in details is our Sooke fall coho fishery. I haven't overlaid the map but it looks like we will be impacted. I lot of coho in fall are in 500 ft water plus off Sooke. This map seems to take that away.
I"m not angry. I would however like someone to justify how the Minister could not consider the safety of small vessels in big water by pushing them further offshore to transit around area 21 when travelling up and down the coast. A lot of us run from the safety of the Gulf Islands to Barkley Sound. We don't need to be any further offshore, nor do we need to extend our transit time, Especially when there is a bit of wind coming

So now we are bartering safety second over fishing openings? Some of us transit that area when traveling on weather windows from Victoria to Bamfield for example. Getting pushed further offshore or extending transit time doesn't make any sense to a prudent mariner or fisherman, of which I am both. Did the speed reduction come from Transport Canada or fisheries?

Last edited:
Or perhaps the easy way to implement MPA's without a lot of fuss?
Possibly. However this speed reduction has no science backing. The speed reduction in Haro and Boundary do not apply to high speed small craft as the science claims the higher frequencies do not affect the whales feeding. The low frequency stuff from ships as in the ECHO program is purely about noise reduction in the water column. This speed reduction for ALL vessels at Nitinat has no foundation as whale strikes are not an issue with Orca on this coast. It on jeopardizes the safety of Mariners. Should it not be directed at vessels greater than 20m?

Last edited:
Possibly. However this speed reduction has no science backing. The speed reduction in Haro and Boundary do not apply to high speed small craft as the science claims the higher frequencies do not affect the whales feeding. The low frequency stuff from ships as in the ECHO program is purely about noise reduction in the water column. This has no foundation as whale strikes are not an issue with Orca on this coast. It on jeopardizes the safety of Mariners. Should it not be directed at vessels greater than 20m?
The speed reduction measure is aimed at reducing risk of accidental collision between vessels and SRKW. Lower speeds mitigate risk of vessel strikes, and there have been vessel strikes so its not correct to characterize there is no science behind the measure.

Environmental groups pushed for this. If your going to be angry at anyone this is where it lies.

These proposals were way worse when dfo brought them forward early this year. It could have been way worse if wasn't been for our groups trying to push for alternatives.

Is it ideal? Of course it isn't. But it could have been way worse.
How could it be way worse for Pender Island? Even a small shoreline corridor along the south side of North and South Pender could have provided somewhere for a handful of small local boats to go but obviously nobody was there to propose and fight for it and DFO certainly would not want to interfere with the look of their blanket closure of the whole area. We were written off by the whole process. So the deep sea boats keep plowing through the area and the rec boats from the U.S. will keep streaming into Bedwell Harbour to clear customs and then proceed up Pender Bluffs heading north through the whole summer, but that is OK because a handful of local rec fishers have be barred from the area. What a disgrace.
Typical human behavior. Not in my area, so who gives a rats butt. Everyone else enjoy whats left of your area. Your time will come.

The speed reduction measure is aimed at reducing risk of accidental collision between vessels and SRKW. Lower speeds mitigate risk of vessel strikes, and there have been vessel strikes so its not correct to characterize there is no science behind the measure.

Ship Strikes far and few between. They use Luna as example, a rogue whale that was bent on harassing mariners and died as a result of playing in the propeller of a tug. Not small fishing vessels less than 20 m. Most likely these strikes would be caused by a high speed ferry but we don't see them participating in the ECHO program or reducing speed, as the general public wouldn't want to be inconvenienced and BCF wouldn't want the extra cost. The science I speak of is the ECHO program high frequency vs low, don't twist my words please.

These fixed spatial measures (sanctuaries) are not an effective or necessary tool for many reasons. Notably our neighbours to the South have opted not to implement fixed spatial measures in favour of strengthening avoidance or exclusion zones around whales. I wonder why??

The issue from what I have researched isn't competition for prey, rather it is limiting physical and acoustic disturbances that interfere with prey acquisition. Canada could do far better in protection of SRKW if we implemented very stringent 400m avoidance/exclusion zones with serious efforts at education/awareness backed up by on-water enforcement that practices education as first response, and progression along a continuum of increasing penalties for those who ignore the rules.

Well documented that there's more than enough prey, the issue is all the vessels harassing them while feeding that interferes with prey acquisition.

Even if there was stronger evidence a fixed sanctuary approach was necessary - We also have ignored opportunities to put in place best practices that help mitigate the social and economic impacts of fixed spatial measures where we insist on implementing them...going hard on measures to close areas when whales are present, and non-existent when there is opportunity to implement measures to remove closures when whales are no longer in these areas. Hard to build broad based community support for spatial measures when there is no apparent effort to implement measures from an "administrative fairness" perspective by turning measures on when whales are present, and turning them off when they are no longer in the areas under special protection. Sad to see that for some areas closed the whales were only there for a few days all season - how is that helping the whales while mitigating social and economic impacts to nearby communities where these measures are imposed? That is the administrative fairness rub, and how it harms building community acceptance for fixed spatial measures more broadly.

Sadly we are missing good opportunities to shift the on-water boating culture from "see a whale and go get a closer look" to see a whale, and "immediately turn in the opposite direction to give them room to forage peacefully". Everyone could do a lot of good by practicing the latter.

Coho fishery will be impacted off Sooke for sure and will be interesting to see how far out that is ? Have to go west of Otter to fish farther out in 500 ft ?

Ship Strikes far and few between. They use Luna as example, a rogue whale that was bent on harassing mariners and died as a result of playing in the propeller of a tug. Not small fishing vessels less than 20 m. Most likely these strikes would be caused by a high speed ferry but we don't see them participating in the ECHO program or reducing speed, as the general public wouldn't want to be inconvenienced and BCF wouldn't want the extra cost. The science I speak of is the ECHO program high frequency vs low, don't twist my words please.
Not twisting your words...you suggest there is no science behind speed reduction as a mitigation tool ( i simply provided that ) - and further you state that there is limited evidence for ship strikes characterizing them as few and far between. I don't believe the UBC researchers would concur with that assessment. Any vessel poses a risk of collision, I'm not so sure a 20m vessel represents lower risk other than being more maneuverable to avoid if they happen to see a whale. In the absence of further research to determine which vessel types are actually colliding with whales, I would expect DFO will default to the precautionary principle to guide application of these measures on a SARA listed species.

Reference attached:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-15.31/page-1.html

These fixed spatial measures (sanctuaries) are not an effective or necessary tool for many reasons. Notably our neighbours to the South have opted not to implement fixed spatial measures in favour of strengthening avoidance or exclusion zones around whales. I wonder why??

The issue from what I have researched isn't competition for prey, rather it is limiting physical and acoustic disturbances that interfere with prey acquisition. Canada could do far better in protection of SRKW if we implemented very stringent 400m avoidance/exclusion zones with serious efforts at education/awareness backed up by on-water enforcement that practices education as first response, and progression along a continuum of increasing penalties for those who ignore the rules.

Well documented that there's more than enough prey, the issue is all the vessels harassing them while feeding that interferes with prey acquisition.

Even if there was stronger evidence a fixed sanctuary approach was necessary - We also have ignored opportunities to put in place best practices that help mitigate the social and economic impacts of fixed spatial measures where we insist on implementing them...going hard on measures to close areas when whales are present, and non-existent when there is opportunity to implement measures to remove closures when whales are no longer in these areas. Hard to build broad based community support for spatial measures when there is no apparent effort to implement measures from an "administrative fairness" perspective by turning measures on when whales are present, and turning them off when they are no longer in the areas under special protection. Sad to see that for some areas closed the whales were only there for a few days all season - how is that helping the whales while mitigating social and economic impacts to nearby communities where these measures are imposed? That is the administrative fairness rub, and how it harms building community acceptance for fixed spatial measures more broadly.

Sadly we are missing good opportunities to shift the on-water boating culture from "see a whale and go get a closer look" to see a whale, and "immediately turn in the opposite direction to give them room to forage peacefully". Everyone could do a lot of good by practicing the latter.
Well said. We are trying to move The ECHO program in Haro and Boundary towards a "Dynamic" program that is active when whales are present In some areas we have hydrophones that can triangulate the position of whales. The next move would be to broadcast it via AIS or use the WRAS app to adjust shIp speed and or position. Makes much more sense. I honestly feel that small vessels enroute are not affecting the SRKW.

Not twisting your words...you suggest there is no science behind speed reduction as a mitigation tool ( i simply provided that ) - and further you state that there is limited evidence for ship strikes characterizing them as few and far between. I don't believe the UBC researchers would concur with that assessment. Any vessel poses a risk of collision, I'm not so sure a 20m vessel represents lower risk other than being more maneuverable to avoid if they happen to see a whale. In the absence of further research to determine which vessel types are actually colliding with whales, I would expect DFO will default to the precautionary principle to guide application of these measures on a SARA listed species.

Reference attached:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-15.31/page-1.html
Are you familiar with the ECHO program?
Ships slow down to produce a lower decibel signature in the water column. This program is not applicable to small higher speed vessels as they produce a higher frequency that does not affect the whales feeding.
Ship strikes are a different issue, small vessel strikes I have not seen.....whale smart. In passage planning it would be prudent to transit in the least amount of time at an economical speed all while getting to the next port of refuge before the afternoon winds kick up. Safety is paramount on the water, there is always risks and risk of collision with a whale? Ive got a better chance of winning lottomax.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the ECHO program?
Ships slow down to produce a lower decibel signature in the water column. This program is not applicable to small higher speed vessels as they produce a higher frequency that does not affect the whales feeding.
Ship strikes are a different issue, small vessel strikes I have not seen.....whale smart. In passage planning it would be prudent to transit in the least amount of time at an economical speed all while getting to the next port of refuge before the afternoon winds kick up. Safety is paramount on the water, there is always risks and risk of collision with a whale? Ive got a better chance of winning lottomax.
Yes quite familiar with ECHO, and not really connecting the dots as to your point re ECHO and these measures...ECHO has nothing to do with small vessels and modifying it to apply to small vessels (ie...AIS) is unlikely so sorry I'm not following. Similarly the Seasonal Vessel Slow Down strategy has nothing to do with ECHO - which DFO clearly stated.

What I recall is this strategy aims to address vessel strike risk. Noise obviously is the other. I think experienced and honest offshore mariners will acknowledge the challenges spotting whales in certain ocean conditions, and therefore the collision risks. Couple that with the UBC study, and I believe that says something about what DFO intends for this management measure. How realistic is that risk as it applies to small vessels that are more maneuverable than large commercial vessels ??? - I'm not aware of any research that breaks that down. Is this fair to apply for smaller vessels?? Again, not sure how DFO calculated the risks or even if they were in a position to scientifically define those with any degree of accuracy. Perhaps it was just a WAG (wild butt guess). Therefore, I'm inclined to anticipate DFO simply defaulted to waiving the "precautionary principle" to justify taking this action. At least that's how I sense it played out without having all the facts.

Not justifying the Department's thinking or actions, just trying to fill in the blanks as we don't have all those details around the business rationale for this. Guess we will have to dig deeper to get the business rationale. WAG vs Science?

this is a high light from Joyce Murry article form 2019, Ive put the link at the bottom

“I was very committed to persuading the PM and the team that the project should not be approved. My concerns were the ones that the Federal Court of Appeal cited. I am concerned about the marine environment, our southern resident killer whale population and the opposition of Indigenous people. That is the solid opinion of the majority in my riding. So I was very actively meeting with the minister [Catherine McKenna] and the PM, and writing out my two-page analysis for caucus. I did that for the whole nine months it was under consideration.”

As you can read Joyce doesn't care about sport fishing or its economic benefits, she is a member of GreenPac ( political environmental group ), we are dealing with a person with her own religious convictions and any data will be used against the sports fishing industry and favor FN and SKW,

https://thetyee.ca/News/2019/03/06/Joyce-Murray-Toughing-It-Out/

Back