DFO Announces further SRKW Restrictions

I would say the amendments were listen to and its pretty much best case scenario. It's all BS tho and we are now left with even more areas closed.

In terms of the ENGO liberal atmosphere we have been dealing with its surprising we did not end up with worse case scenario.

Im happy with the outcome but i feel like thats the wrong emotion to have since we shouldn't of had to deal with any of this because the SRKW are doing just fine.

Its like if you were being robbed at gunpoint and had 1000 bucks in your wallet and as the thief was running off with your money he dropped some on his way out.

So DFO decided to put out these new restrictions on a Friday afternoon to minimize the blow back? What a bunch of clowns. Also, they couldn’t even put out the coordinates of the closed areas so we can mark them down in our chart? This is beyond incompetence. Will definitely remember this come the next Federal Election.

So DFO decided to put out these new restrictions on a Friday afternoon to minimize the blow back? What a bunch of clowns. Also, they couldn’t even put out the coordinates of the closed areas so we can mark them down in our chart? This is beyond incompetence. Will definitely remember this come the next Federal Election.
This is how stupid the DFO thinks we are, remember while they shut down a 1 billion dollar industry to the province all in the name of saving food for SKW, 50 feet across an invisible border that neither the whales or chinook will dare cross, will be thousands of US licensed boats, I'm so glad the DFO has the whales backs. With out joint restrictions what ever we do here is meaningless, the DFO and the Ministry of course know this, but hides behind the save the whales trope, once again telling us this has a hidden agenda. I can apply the same to swift sure and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, hundreds of US licensed boats happily recreational fishing from the same food source.

2022-srkw-ers-gulf-eng.jpg

Last edited:
I would say the amendments were listen to and its pretty much best case scenario. It's all BS tho and we are now left with even more areas closed.

In terms of the ENGO liberal atmosphere we have been dealing with its surprising we did not end up with worse case scenario.

Im happy with the outcome but i feel like thats the wrong emotion to have since we shouldn't of had to deal with any of this because the SRKW are doing just fine.

Its like if you were being robbed at gunpoint and had 1000 bucks in your wallet and as the thief was running off with your money he dropped some on his way out.

Pender wasn't. That area got screwed hard. Add any Cowichan restrictions into mix it's basically game over for any summer fishery.

View attachment 78824
anyone seen the SKW in this area, I've seen them once moving through more middle of the straight, every one knows this isn't about them
Let me understand this....dfo closed the north arm for fishing from Aug1-sept 30... is it because this is the only time of year that SRKW comes through that area? As soon as Aug1st hits the whales go on vacation there like Canadian snowbird go down to Mexico and Florida in Novemver?

Oh, wait a minute... Aug 1st is when the fraser bound salmon start to show up at mouth of fraser...and wait a minute....isn't there a first nation's community not even 5 mins boat ride up the north arm? They have commercial fishing boats at their ramp including a hydraulic hoist to unload their catch....... Interesting.... well I am glad the whales are being protected while they are on vacation outside north arm from aug1-sept30. Nice work DFO.

My guess is this is just the beginning...next year, the yellow area in their map will be expanded or there will be more areas. Yet another BS restriction aimed at completely shutting us down...

Traffic separation, one side is for inbound traffic the other side is for outbound traffic. Freighters and tankers are not very manoeuvrable.

Save the sacred SRKW by removing a few hook and lines, but maintain massive traditional nettings in the Fraser that are so &!#ing destructive.
Hopefully people keep up with the drone footage showing the poaching and traditional destruction going on, those nets with sturgeon wrapped up while left unattended.... Its so one sided its criminal.

This is nuts. A 10 knot speed limit for ALL vessels in 121-1? From Nitinat to 125 west. Whoever dreamt that up hasn't ridden in a sportfishing boat with any swell or seastate or building forecast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-120153_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-120153_Chrome.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20220430-123825_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-123825_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 105
This is nuts. A 10 knot speed limit for ALL vessels in 121-1? From Nitinat to 125 west. Whoever dreamt that up hasn't ridden in a sportfishing boat with any swell or seastate or building forecast.
Typical dfo...clear as mud
"with limited exceptions"
Where are these exceptions listed??
When is the last time anyone heard of a sportfishing boat striking an Orca
WAIT..."limited exceptions" must be sportfishing vessels under 30'

Seasonal Slowdown Areas​

2 new Seasonal Slowdown Areas are being piloted near Swiftsure Bank from June 1 until November 30, 2022. All vessels are required to slow down to a maximum of 10 knots while in the areas with limited exceptions. The first area is in the Protected Fisheries Management Area 121-1 and the second Seasonal Slowdown Area is located near the mouth of the Nitinat River from Carmanah Point to Longitude 125 degrees west.

Typical dfo...clear as mud
"with limited exceptions"
Where are these exceptions listed??
When is the last time anyone heard of a sportfishing boat striking an Orca
WAIT..."limited exceptions" must be sportfishing vessels under 30'

Seasonal Slowdown Areas​

2 new Seasonal Slowdown Areas are being piloted near Swiftsure Bank from June 1 until November 30, 2022. All vessels are required to slow down to a maximum of 10 knots while in the areas with limited exceptions. The first area is in the Protected Fisheries Management Area 121-1 and the second Seasonal Slowdown Area is located near the mouth of the Nitinat River from Carmanah Point to Longitude 125 degrees west.
Here ya go, exemptions listed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-164002_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-164002_Chrome.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 124
Back