DFO Announces further SRKW Restrictions

I couldn't upload entire document I just posted a few highlights of what is being discussed. Important these maps are not the final options but you see where the department is heading with this which is very disturbing.

The entire document has been sent out the the local SFAB group members from each area. DFO is asking for input by mid Feb.

I honestly was shocked it was being proposed, and pushed again. Some of these at discussion as option 2 will cause a lot of harm to our fisheries.

Here are the maps:

Mainland

1674000822772.png
1674000852029.png

Gulf Islands/Pender Island Area

1674000904677.png

1674000930743.png

Port Refrew and Sooke

1674000973771.png

1674000996616.png

Port Renfrew/Swiftsure bank

1674001070385.png
1674001093193.png

Last edited:
last year options 1,2 and 3 with 3 being a complete shut down of our fishery

we fight for 1 they give us 2,

this year only options 2 and 3

I think my first letter for SRKW went to dfo in 2018 and sent one every year with worse and worse restrictions

They want my comments then can actually read the SFAB minutes from last year and F OFF

How about they listen to what people said back in 2019

Three public meetings were held to present and seek input and feedback on the proposed suite of SRKW recovery measures for 2019:

1. April 23, 2019 in Victoria, BC; ~140 attendees
  2. April 24, 2019 in Sooke, BC; ~115 attendees
  3. April 25, 2019 in Richmond, BC; ~95 attendees
Key comments/questions received included:

• For proposed fisheries management measures, strong concerns were expressed regarding ‘Scenario B’ (the more precautionary approach) due to the expected significant impacts on coastal communities dependent on recreational fishing (e.g., Port Renfrew, Sooke), with nominal support expressed for ‘Scenario A’ (less precautionary approach).
  • Concerns over safety and access to fishing grounds with the proposed no-go/reduced use zone on Swiftsure Bank.
  • Questions on how the recently announced Chinook salmon management measures (announced April 16, 2019) and proposed SRKW measures overlap.
  • The position that recreational fisheries are a small portion of the problem and other sectors should also be addressed including commercial fishing, whale watching and other vessel traffic.
  • Considerations to address prey availability beyond salmon fisheries management measures, including salmon enhancement, habitat restoration, addressing pinniped predation, and forage fisheries management.

Do or don't do its up to you all to decide.... there are many that put hundreds of hrs in curving what currently DFO whale folks think is there answer(Speculation on there behalf for sure) if the decision doesn't go the way you want then dont bother bitching on the forum....... :)

Is it really up to us to decide?

Someone give some guidance here on what we can actually do here

We all know this has nothing to do with the whales and everything to do with FN groups. Its the honest truth

the reality is all the feedback will be put in a package and sent to the minster. So if there is not a lot of push back from rec fishers, rec business, communities that count on rec fishing ect then that feed back won't be in the package to the minister.

What a fu*king joke. I’m pretty sure this government won’t be satisfied until most fishing communities are completely destroyed for good. Has nothing to do with the whales. Nrkw population is booming, humpbacks are flooding back into the sog like we haven’t seen for decades but listen to dfo and the government and there’s barely any whales left, more closures needed.

Back