Deepest you've caught a salmon?

Finished Business

The deep trolling thread got the wheels turning.

As the title states, 1) What is the deepest depth you have set gear and caught a salmon?

and for fun, 2) What is the deepest depth you have fished at, and what, if anything, did you catch? (bottom fish included)

Deepest for me is springs and surprisingly some coho @ 220' on the downrigger. Deepest I've trolled is 240' , but no hits that time.

Curious what others have to say...

200' trolling salmon
600' Jigging -Black cod, halibut, long jaw, green stripe, turbot, canary, dogfish

Electric reels are very nice for this otherwise you take turns reeling it up. The same fish I mean. 3/4 times theres nothing on it. Tough gig.

Trolling rite on bottom,320ft,middle of nowhere Way off shore Winter Harbour, I get a hit,mark the spot on the plotter,picked up a spring,went around another hit, bring up a hali, go around again and hit a coho!...3 different kinds of fish, same spot , same depth,to this day still cant believe that a coho was down that deep...

Last edited by a moderator:
Have caught one Chinook at a little over 300 feet actual depth not rigger cable out. There was a similar discussion some time back and I seem to recall someone saying that Commies have caught them at around double that.

First got interested in fishing really deep when I found a school of fish on the sounder mid day when nothing was biting. They were mixed sized arches at between 240 and 380 feet in 400 feet of water column. With only 300 feet of steel we were just able to dip into the top of them at slack and slow troll and were hitting Chinook from about 3 to mid teens and some of them were clipped.

Now have 500 feet of braid on one HP but still have 300 feet of steel on the other HP and waiting for it to wear out a little more before I put on the 500 feet of Scotty 18Olb steel I have sitting here. Hoping that should get me down fishing between 350 and 400 feet actual depth with a 20 on an HP .

Last edited by a moderator:
245 feet on the rigger landed me a nice spring a couple weeks back in along the reef off thrasher. Hit a few fishing that deep for the elusive inside Hali

Commercial fishing 85 fathoms ( 6ft x 85 ) of water, 100 fathoms of wire out, bouncing off bottom occaisonally. Location, the fence, Canada US fishing boundary. Springs right down on the lead flasher.

Interesting stuff guys...might be time to spool on another 100 yards to the DR. Is there much of a fight when they take at 300'?

Favorite spot at Swiftsure is 230', have caught springs, hali, ling and snapper same spot. Deep trolling is my favorite cause you can get anything all at once, I'll let you know after tomorrow, gonna take a swing by that spot. The hali will make a few runs deep but the springs seem to wake up when they get shallower, I use a stiffer rod for the deep troll cause we often don't stop and I don't want to snap my mooching rod.

They still fight great from down deep.

Alot of my bigger springs Ive caught have sounded to over 250 ft even when hooked in the top 50 ft of water.

Ive acctually marked the fish my dad was fighting on the sounder and watched it swiming and coming up! Now thats freaking cool! Watching a spring on the line at 280 ft in 320 ft of water! Electronics are saweet!

-KK

I'd have to say in my experience the majority of salmon hit and come straight for the surface,break the surface before the line on reel is caught up to them..and the hali and lings are another story...bring them up part way only to have them run rite back down to near bottom again...now if you asked me what depth I'd rather fish
?.thats a no brainer to me..as i like to fish shallow and in tight to shore.rite in against the rocks, and kelp in the foam looking for big springs and coho.when they hit there there is nothing like it imo.

..QUOTE=Finished Business;299867]Interesting stuff guys...might be time to spool on another 100 yards to the DR. Is there much of a fight when they take at 300'?[/QUOTE]

I

Dare I ask? That would be 350ft then?
I don't know should ya....LOL I have 400 on each rigger and I have spooled them out and caught fish. My last riggers had over 1000 feet per side. Many times I spooled them out till I hit bottom. When I fish this way I hardly ever look at the counter.

Trolling rite on bottom,320ft,middle of nowhere Way off shore Winter Harbour, I get a hit,mark the spot on the plotter,picked up a spring,went around another hit, bring up a hali, go around again and hit a coho!...3 different kinds of fish, same spot , same depth,to this day still cant believe that a coho was down that deep...

same for me, 300+ feet of braid out in 500' of water offshore winter harbour - springs and coho.

Back