Dam Bananas!!!!

That old wives tale is a joke. I eat one every morning on the boat and i do alright

One time we were ice fishing for rainbows and we did okay. Better than the guys across the lake who all sauntered over to see what we were doing. I hadn't seen what my buddy had done so when they said they were using minnows and he said "Minnows? Minnows? Why would you use those? Huh..", I was confused. He reeled up and said "We're using peel." And sure enough he had a full banana peel on his hook which he lowered back down and gave them a disapproving look. They ran back across the lake, jumped in their car and came back 45 minutes later with a full bunch of bright yellow bananas. I'm still laughing about that one.

I've read some other banana stuff that tends to support the historical bias against having them on a boat.

Back before the steam engine when sail and wind was king, the only boats that could get bananas from the plantation to market before they ripened and rotted were the fastest sloops in the fleet.

The crew got very used to trolling for their dinner in the warmer latitudes when crewing on sailing vessels--- mahi mahi, wahoo, yellowfin. But if you were unlucky enough to end up crewing on a banana sloop, you could forget about eating the good stuff --- the boat moved too fast to get a proper presentation with the fishing gear. It was salt pork and hard tack for guys on banana boats

Another believable twist in the bad luck thing---anyone crewing on banana boats had to hump them on and off the boat when loading and discharging cargo--- banana bunches invariably were crawling with poisonous pissed off spiders.

I steer clear of them on my boat....just because.

I took the GF on a trip to the Broughtons a few years ago. We left Port Macniel in pea-soup fog ---I knew right away that crossing Johnstone Straits would be a barrel of laughs.

We were just getting out into the Straits when she rummaged around in her pack and came out with a loaf of banana bread. Not wanting to make an issue of the banana thing I took a piece she'd cut for me. During that momentary lapse of concentration shoving it in my mouth I spun a log up into the prop of my Honda 150. It bent the flukes so bad I had to do the next 15 miles by kicker for fear of toasting the shaft seal it was vibrating so bad.

It's not only bananas. I was a commie up in Alaska in my younger days. Heaven help the crewman who whistled up in the wheelhouse, showed up for an opener with his gear in a suitcase, hung his coffee cup upside down in the galley, or said the word "pig" out load.

And leaving port on a Friday? Don't even think of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about canned food upside down? Or the color red. I watch a captain of mine make a crew member leave their luggage at the dock cause it was red.

Then there's the one about opening a can of evaporated milk at the wrong end so the cows on the label are upside down.

Bad juju.......the boat will sink.....

I pack lucky aluminum racing horseshoes with me. They are from a winning horse at the track in Vancouver. When guys I don't know ask what I am using I rustle thru my tackle bag and raise them and say LUCK. :)

We had fished all day without a hit and a friend pulled out a banana which I did not know he had. I was upset until we immediately had a double hedder a 25# and a 20# spring. I don't eat banannas on the boat but I no longer consider them unlucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I proceeded to eat his butt until we had a double hedder half way through my screaming. a 25# and a 20# spring. I don't eat them on the boat but I no longer consider the unlucky.

Squid, you had me wondering about you till I looked back to the last page..... LOL

7evuzave.jpg

Just one more use of the foodsaver, who is gunna be the lucky boater??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pack lucky aluminum racing horseshoes with me. They are from a winning horse at the track in Vancouver. When guys I don't know ask what I am using I rustle thru my tackle bag and raise them and say LUCK. :)
My fishing off of Thrasher on the weekend was less than stellar with only a few shakers and two under 8 lbs. All the time I knew I was doing something wrong but could not for the life of me figure it out. I realized on the last day that I had forgotten to bring aboard the 6 pack of Lucky Beer. I don't drink it, I just have to have it on board.

Back