Cuts of meat on sale

Finding a hanging meat butcher is getting harder and harder for sure, especially one with decent recipes in his back pocket. Most get primals now. My son has worked in the biz for about 7 years while going to school and the first guy he worked for brought in sides. Now he works at one of those fancy markets cutting steaks for people willing to overpay for some brown paper.

The lack of diversity in our supply chain further erodes the selection of good meat. Lack of growers with heritage pork and beef is slowly going the way of the dodo.
The craftsmen butcher and sausage makers are following
There is a small resurgence of farmers and the skilled trades creating from these products but as said before the hipsters are blowing that market apart.

It was exactly what it's been for centuries I'm sure. Delicious, I grew up on them. But 4 years ago they were $4. Just like the Tortas at Duffins as you mentioned. They've jumped up to $8.50 from $4 as well. Only thing is, the #4 at Duffins is a meal of a sandwich. Fresh baked in house bun, flat top grilled chicken thigh (to crispy perfection), shredded lettuce, tomatoes, AVACADO and banana peppers. Pair that with a peanut donut, a piece of spicy fried chicken and a coffee or water and you've got a pretty hearty meal for $13. Don't even get me started on the Machaka, man I'm hungry now.
Edit. The Tortas are actually $6.49. Can't beat it.

Walmart Victoria has a great deal on quality ready to eat bone in hickory smoked hams for $1.47 a lb. Clearing out the Holiday season surplus I suspect. Got a nice one for just under $10.00.

On the down side they just put up the cost of Club House Gravy mix about 50%. Food inflation continues to be is off the charts. So many items that I could have bought three years ago are now 50% 100% 200% 300% more than they were. The Feds sure don't want to talk about it.

There's no debate there. Chicken wins all day long.
I’ve found that location, tides and soak time have more of an effect than chicken or salmon. But I drop my traps a handful of times per year so I am probably wrong and I need to switch to chicken.

Back