Cuts of meat on sale

Safeway has “AAA” prime rib for $15/lb. In my experience, Safeway beef is usually pretty good.
Picked up a 3 bone yesterday. Trying the Sterling Silver AAA roasts instead of our local butcher shop this year for our Christmas Prime Rib.

Will be smoking it on the 25th as we are having spring like weather up here.

The local Safeway has an in house butcher shop, so we got to select our cut. Roast looks good.

Cheers

SS

Don't get me wrong, Pete is a great guy and we are Buddies.
He brings in the high end stuff that others won't.
Makes the best hams I've ever seen whether pork or bear (reason I stopped making my own!).
And his sausage making is The Best!

Prime rib I hunt elsewhere though is all.

Cheers
I agree. I have two local butchers that I go to all the time. But at those prices I just wouldn't eat Prime Rib at all.

I agree. I have two local butchers that I go to all the time. But at those prices I just wouldn't eat Prime Rib at all.
Assuming one is Columbus, what’s the other? I just remembered that Banana Grove market has pretty good meat and deli deals. Not the very best quality on all the fresh meats, but I’m less picky for certain cuts.

Assuming one is Columbus, what’s the other? I just remembered that Banana Grove market has pretty good meat and deli deals. Not the very best quality on all the fresh meats, but I’m less picky for certain cuts.
Banana grove is hard to beat on deli stuff, including parm reggiano. I actually go to Beefway more often than Columbus. Columbus has unfortunately fallen victim to the hipster movement into the neighborhood. Quality has gone downhill and the prices have soared. Lineups down the block. Same with Renzullo up the street. I used to meet my dad there for lunch and an espresso a few times a year. I went the other day to grab a sandwich. Half mortadella, half spicy salami and asiago. That's it. No toppings, no sauce, no heating it up. Just a nice fresh bun. $9!!!! I'll never go back.

Banana grove is hard to beat on deli stuff, including parm reggiano. I actually go to Beefway more often than Columbus. Columbus has unfortunately fallen victim to the hipster movement into the neighborhood. Quality has gone downhill and the prices have soared. Lineups down the block. Same with Renzullo up the street. I used to meet my dad there for lunch and an espresso a few times a year. I went the other day to grab a sandwich. Half mortadella, half spicy salami and asiago. That's it. No toppings, no sauce, no heating it up. Just a nice fresh bun. $9!!!! I'll never go back.
I haven’t been to Beefway in years, I should check em out again. I used to go to Rio on Hastings, but I saw some pretty uhh.. questionable food storage last time I was there and it kinda put me
off. I’ve been in the neighbourhood since 2011 and it’s changed a lot. Some for the better, but lining up for expensive meat ain’t it. They do have great selection on prepared foods and some good marinated stuff. I generally just buy what’s on sale anyway.

l’ve always wondered why Vancouver has so many more mom and pop grocers than most of the Canadian cities I’ve been to. Must have something to do with having independent supply chains/distributors that aren’t part of the grocery mafia. I mentioned it before in this thread, but either way I think we’re pretty lucky to have so much selection.

I haven’t been to Beefway in years, I should check em out again. I used to go to Rio on Hastings, but I saw some pretty uhh.. questionable food storage last time I was there and it kinda put me
off. I’ve been in the neighbourhood since 2011 and it’s changed a lot. Some for the better, but lining up for expensive meat ain’t it. They do have great selection on prepared foods and some good marinated stuff. I generally just buy what’s on sale anyway.

l’ve always wondered why Vancouver has so many more mom and pop grocers than most of the Canadian cities I’ve been to. Must have something to do with having independent supply chains/distributors that aren’t part of the grocery mafia. I mentioned it before in this thread, but either way I think we’re pretty lucky to have so much selection.
Agreed. I went to elementary school a block from beefway. A lot of the guys from the neighborhood had summer jobs there. The son has taken over and it's recently become a little more hip, but far from hipster.

Did the bun not meat expectations?
I’ve had a good sandwich from the doughnut shop at 41&knight. $7.00

Did the bun not meat expectations?
I’ve had a good sandwich from the doughnut shop at 41&knight. $7.00
It was exactly what it's been for centuries I'm sure. Delicious, I grew up on them. But 4 years ago they were $4. Just like the Tortas at Duffins as you mentioned. They've jumped up to $8.50 from $4 as well. Only thing is, the #4 at Duffins is a meal of a sandwich. Fresh baked in house bun, flat top grilled chicken thigh (to crispy perfection), shredded lettuce, tomatoes, AVACADO and banana peppers. Pair that with a peanut donut, a piece of spicy fried chicken and a coffee or water and you've got a pretty hearty meal for $13. Don't even get me started on the Machaka, man I'm hungry now.

Back