Cuts of meat on sale

Nope just once and make enough brine that it soaks in it or put in a bag etc let it sit for about 5 to 7 days then do that process...
Thanks, I injected it lots, and it’s fully submerged in my fridge. 7 days will be Sunday, I will most likely smoke it then.

I love new adventures like this, Stay tuned!

Does anyone soak them to take some of the salt out or is that not necessary? I've only ever done Montreal Smoked Meat in a brine like this and with that one it's like 7-14 days brine and then a whole 24 hours to rinse it out.

Does anyone soak them to take some of the salt out or is that not necessary?
I dont think you need to as your using a ratio , realistically if its too salty from the beginning the meat will absorb it. You need salt as a curing agent along with prauge its a fine balance. ive adjusted my recipes a few times over many years to "fine" tune the salt content.

I dont think you need to as your using a ratio , realistically if its too salty from the beginning the meat will absorb it. You need salt as a curing agent along with prauge its a fine balance. ive adjusted my recipes a few times over many years to "fine" tune the salt content.
Thanks

Does anyone soak them to take some of the salt out or is that not necessary? I've only ever done Montreal Smoked Meat in a brine like this and with that one it's like 7-14 days brine and then a whole 24 hours to rinse it out.
Yes we soak our Pastrami, for 12hrs then steam for 2hrs. After the cure and smoke... butt not the ham...

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the pork leg sale at Thrifty's. Doing a 24 hour low & slow hickory & mesquite smoke, and 2-3 loaves of homemade french bread. Looking forward to tasting the final results tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• 20220115_142122[1].jpg
    20220115_142122[1].jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 47
It’s taking everything in me not to crank the temp up. Patience is tough after 12 hours and still 10 deg to go!
Funny you say that as people cant be patient, looks like your restraining (i hope) i have been mentoring a buddy of mine in alberta and he said the same thing its taking forever!!! so what did he do he cranked the smoker to 200 on some bacon after 2 hours he opened the door and FAT was oozed all over the place and apparently in the bradly smoker its quite a chore to clean?? and his product was "just ok" I asked him where in my notes did it say to CRANK it up ... to 200 ??. he did the same thing with the summer sausage recipe I lent him turned it up to high and when he opend door again water and fat and the summer was a crumbled mess. quality takes time dont rush it here is some stuff i made from the pork as well garlic coil and summer...
1642431192462.png1642431210497.png1642431316939.png

I made it with help of my alarm clock! 7 days of brine and 17 hours in the smoker. Looking for to my sandwich at lunch and dinner tonight.

Thanks for the help Wolf, your post the other day about patience is what stopped me from cranking the heat last night!

Attachments

• D86DF92E-B20C-4522-869C-F72B68000E2B.jpeg
    D86DF92E-B20C-4522-869C-F72B68000E2B.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 87
She’s already soaking, I found one online that I rolled with. If it doesn’t turn out I will hit you up for the next try.

Typical Google chef guiding me in many directionsto inject or not to inject….. but I ended up injecting it to hopefully speed up the process so I can smoke it next weekend.

I didn’t realize how hard it was to find Prague Powder. I dragged my two kids around to multiple stores looking for it today. Ended up borrowing some from my neighbour. Order him some replacement from Amazon.
Re : Prague powder . This place has all the goods FYI

Excllent co
Re : Prague powder . This place has all the goods FYI
excellent company to deal with-Have all the sausage and smoking supplies

This is a good site that explains the use and types of curing salts. worth a read if your not 100% sure.

Back