Cuts of meat on sale

I am interested in sausage making and have ordered a stuffer, but it won't arrive for a few weeks. Would it be OK to butcher up the leg, debone, cut into grinding sized pieces and freeze for sausage making when all the equipment turns up. I thought I would put the pieces on a cookie tray to freeze and then bag rather than freezing a big lump. Sound OK?

I am interested in sausage making and have ordered a stuffer, but it won't arrive for a few weeks. Would it be OK to butcher up the leg, debone, cut into grinding sized pieces and freeze for sausage making when all the equipment turns up. I thought I would put the pieces on a cookie tray to freeze and then bag rather than freezing a big lump. Sound OK?
Yep that works

I got mine today!
@wolf reading Sangsters question. Can you freeze the legs and make ham out of them later? I can only manage two at a time, but I did five total last year. I'm thinking I can buy them all at once and do them up at my leisure.

Do you need a brine recipe?
She’s already soaking, I found one online that I rolled with. If it doesn’t turn out I will hit you up for the next try.

Typical Google chef guiding me in many directionsto inject or not to inject….. but I ended up injecting it to hopefully speed up the process so I can smoke it next weekend.

I didn’t realize how hard it was to find Prague Powder. I dragged my two kids around to multiple stores looking for it today. Ended up borrowing some from my neighbour. Order him some replacement from Amazon.

To answer yes no problem freezing them ....
And to answer big bird YES inject the hams as that brine get in thru all the meat my brine is basically a 2 to 1 part sugar to salt ,honey,garlic powder,pepper etc inject it very well secret is to do it low and slow in smoker like 10 hours ish on heat at 135 to 150 for the first 6 hours then i turn it up to 165 for about 4 hours or whenever the internal temp gets past 155 then once thats achieved then smoke it , quality takes time and you dont want to rush this part as if its ooozzing the fat or juices in the smoker its too hot and you will have dry ham just turn it down (I know its hard for some impatient guys they want it NOW ) the last picture is the finished product see how moist the meat is.
If you are on lower island (sooke ) I have prauge number 1 here at shop I do this alot, if you have any questions feel free to ask away as I love how we are going back to grass roots (some people) and making quality home food and not buying into the "hello fresh" mentality ....
1641827173414.png
1641827209006.png
1641827558551.png

To answer yes no problem freezing them ....
And to answer big bird YES inject the hams as that brine get in thru all the meat my brine is basically a 2 to 1 part sugar to salt ,honey,garlic powder,pepper etc inject it very well secret is to do it low and slow in smoker like 10 hours ish on heat at 135 to 150 for the first 6 hours then i turn it up to 165 for about 4 hours or whenever the internal temp gets past 155 then once thats achieved then smoke it , quality takes time and you dont want to rush this part as if its ooozzing the fat or juices in the smoker its too hot and you will have dry ham just turn it down (I know its hard for some impatient guys they want it NOW ) the last picture is the finished product see how moist the meat is.
If you are on lower island (sooke ) I have prauge number 1 here at shop I do this alot, if you have any questions feel free to ask away as I love how we are going back to grass roots (some people) and making quality home food and not buying into the "hello fresh" mentality ....
View attachment 73739
View attachment 73740
View attachment 73741
Thanks for the tips Wolf, especially the smoking temperatures.

Should I inject the meat everyday?

Back