Cut plugin

When we mooch (no downriggers, slip weights, 1.5mph or less, 30 feet deep max) up north for bigger fish a technique we use is....when you see the rod tip tap like something took a nibble, engage freespool (or hand-strip line out as fast as you can). This will cause your bait to drop and dive with the weight, in some cases, the fish will chase and eat the falling (wounded) herring.
In other cases the line may go slack when stripping or freespooling. This is when the fish has actually devoured the bait (the big boys) and does not know he is hooked. If you line goes slack, you need to take it up and SET THE HOOK!
In OTHER cases....nothing happens, your line spools out, and you need to take it in, check your bait, and put it back out.

I am looking forward to trying some cut plugging locally as it really is a fun way to catch em. No flasher, just an 8oz slip weight and a screaming fish. Have fun.

Used to do a lot of cut plugging. A few tips are:
- unless using live herring always brine the bait before hand (scent and color optional)
- 3/0 single hooks tied in tandem for small/medium bait 4/0 for medium/large bait (small bait early season, larger later)
- cut pluggers out fish trollers with flashers if the fish are spooky, when this is the case use dummy flasher or none at all
- no flasher means you can use lighter leader which is preferred, 15lb Maxima ultra green a good line for the job
- sliding mooching weights are better than fixed, in tidal currrent fishing deeper will need 8-10 oz, shallower near shore use 6 oz-
- tandem hooks with 4 ft of leader tied to small quality swivel then another 6 ft of leader to another swivel, mainline is run through weight and bead tied to the second swivel
- sharp knife to cut the bait on angle, clean out guts, prefer to do this after frozen bait thaws then brine

mikep.... do know anything about this pluggin stuff?

if you are doing a long trip or pluggin all summer, make sure you wash yer hands alot and dont touch your face or mouth... anyone else get pluggers rash around there mouth or nose... NASTY!!

It wont spin as nice and over time the guts come out the sides and make a mess. We used to fish the frozen one with the guts in. Best tip I have is to round of the end of your knife. Makes ofr easy cleaning out of the guts without poking through the sides. The other tip I have which adds up to many more fish in a season is to thread your bait with the trailing hook. You get alot more "nibbles" while the fish is playing with the bait before the cut plyg falls off. I have had Chinook paly with the bait for a couple minute before, and if they didnt get stung by the hook, they kept coming back.

Thanks for the tips.Iplan trying it this summer for the first time as i was able to secure some herring in the Comox area thanks to Fish Assassin

Back in the day @ Active Pass. Cut plug'n was the staple
Jig fresh herring & making a fresh slice for the perfect roll. Had live bait tanks to keep um fresh

Funny thing was I have tried on many occasions to rig them live but a cut plug was more productive in motor mooching application

Now days Active is ...............Not, so cut plugging is no more

Kh

I have cut a few plugs.......I like my plugs off the rigger, about 15 feet back with the clip set ever so lightly. I find the rigger gives me total control over my baits allowing me to pick all of those kelp pockets. For me a super tight sllllllloooooowwwww roll has always been the key.

Back in the day @ Active Pass. Cut plug'n was the staple
Jig fresh herring & making a fresh slice for the perfect roll. Had live bait tanks to keep um fresh

Funny thing was I have tried on many occasions to rig them live but a cut plug was more productive in motor mooching application

Now days Active is ...............Not, so cut plugging is no more

Kh

X2 miss those days... :(

Also, a poke a smaller hole from the anus into the belly cavity to let the water flow thru belly cavity a bit easier... keeps the herring from blowing out... If it hasn't been mentioned..

It's funny but i usually did better on the frozen 7 inch herring than the fresh. There and in Porlier.

Back