Customs

K

Kramer

I'm planning on boating into Canada in mid July. I'll be up for about 5 days to do some cruising and fishing. Planning on staying aboard and mainly will be between Sooke and Renfrew. My question is, what is the best way to clear customs? Do I have to boat into Victoria and then motor up the straits or is there a customs dock closer to where I'm planning to fish? Ideally I'd like to launch in Sekiu and head over to Renny from there but if that presents a problem with customs I'd like to plan out my route in advance. I live in Port Angeles so launching there is an option as well. Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You can clear Canadian Customs at Oak Bay Marina. That is closer, easier, and quicker than the others. Don't bother with a CANPASS, as you still need to clear at a Port of Entry. If you do decide to clear at Victoria, Customs has their own dock located in the Inner Harbour. It is due east as you enter the harbour and has a large sign, you can't miss it!

Make sure you don't have any "fresh" fruit, that will get you inspected! :(

Coming back in... Before you go, get an I-68 from U.S. Customs. Call the customs office there in PA. It makes clearing customs on the way back very easy. All you have to do is in call when you cross the border. :)

Port Angeles, WA
138 West First Street
Suite 204
Port Angeles, WA 98362
(360) 457-4311

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/boats/cbbl.xml

Oh, as far as where to launch...Port Angeles. That is only about 20 miles to Oak Bay, it is about 45 miles from Sekiu

Thanks Charlie. I was hoping not to have to go all that way but if that's the rule, then that's the rule.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride up to Renny after we clear.

Oh, the other thing! :)

There are tide rips not quite half way across on the eastern end of the strait. They are usually closer to Smith Island, but you might run into one. On a strong ebb you can get some abnormally high wave heights at times,due to confused sea states and confused directions of the sea. The first time I experienced it, it was an attention getter! I have seen this in excess of a 4 foot wall of water coming directly at me, and it runs east and west. If you encounter this, Just slow down and take at a 45 degree angle. It will rock the boat!

The customs laws are what eventually put an end to the Neah Bay charter fleat from fishing the Canadian waters around Swiftsure Bank. Unless their customers already had Canadian Tidal Licenses they would have to run to Victoria to clear customs, purchase them and then run back to Swiftsure. That is also why electronically obtained licenses are not valid in that area.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

The customs laws are what eventually put an end to the Neah Bay charter fleat from fishing the Canadian waters around Swiftsure Bank. Unless their customers already had Canadian Tidal Licenses they would have to run to Victoria to clear customs, purchase them and then run back to Swiftsure. That is also why electronically obtained licenses are not valid in that area.
Okay, I really hate to do this... but, WTF, does that have to do with this topic? [?][?]

Just giving you one of the reasons why there hasn't been any attempt to add more customs on the southern west side of the island. Not even a temporary summer office for the transient boat traffic. It sucks for those just wanting to come over without having to divert to far out of the way.

I think customs is more do to "budget" and "cost effectiveness" of keeping the outlying offices open, especially on the WCVI? At least, according to them! And, Yes, I talked to them and that is out of the horses mouth, not mine! :)

I am still trying to figure out why I still have to go to a "port of entry", after I spent the time and money to get prescreened with a CANPASS! :(

Up until somewhere around 1997/1998? I had a choice of clearing at Bamfield, Ucluelet, or Tofino. Back then, all I had to do was call and customs would clear me, without stopping anywhere. But, again that was all prior to 9/11! I believe the first to close was Tofino, followed by Ucluelet a couple of years later, then finally Bamfield. How do I know this… I believe it was in 1999, when almost to Ucluelet, customs turned back to Bamfield to clear, as they closed both of the others! Since then, even with my CANPASS, customs has made me go to a port of entry to clear. That would be prior to 9/11!

After Bamfield closed, they had a temporary office again in Ucluelet for couple of years. I am not sure when that closed, as by then I found leaving in the afternoons, running up and spending the night and clearing in Victoria or Oakbay better. It allowed me to take advantage of the early morning calm of the Strait!

The electronic license system has only become available to "us" 3 or 4 years ago? Guess what? Prior, the charters where operating the same way they are today. Just have their clients jump on the Port Angeles ferry, run across, buy a license and meet at the boat! Absolutely nothing has changed for them</u>! If you think the Washington charters are not running over to Canada, you are wrong! They still are! http://jambossportfishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6 I do not think the halibut restriction is due to the charter boats, even though it is certainly a part. I am sure their business would increase significantly without the restriction in place. Rather more specifically though, it is to prevent the inevitable swarm and flood of "all" us good old sport fishermen (including me), that would overwhelm the Canadian fishing grounds, with NO benefit to either the government or people of Canada.

I personally do not have a problem with it! [:0]

This topic actually does have me confused a bit. Every year I buy an annual Canadian licence. I have family in Victoria and spend quite a bit of time on the island each year so it makes sense for me. I also live in Port Angeles so it is nice to have more options on seasons.

That said, if I have an annual license which I purchased in Victoria, can I legally leave a US port, fish Canadian waters (swiftsure) and then land back in a US port like Neah Bay or Sekiu, provided I never touch Canadian ground anytime during the duration of the trip?

Charlie you still have to go to a point of entry because Canada Customs still conducts random screening, so you have to go to where the resources are. The random screening would ensure integrity to the system. If you have never been screened, your day will come. While we are all sure you are a law abiding citizen, there are enough unscrupulous people in both countries that a free pass might not be a good idea. Most of our higher security measures have been implemented to satisfy the US.

Kramer...so long as you don't land on Canadian soil you don't have to clear customs. There is also a "hovering" component to the custom laws. Fishing in one spot for a few hours could be interpreted by an official as hovering. The law is meant to allow those vessels just in transit through Canadian waters to pass without clearing.
Us laws now say that if as an example; (you depart and return to Port Angeles) and there is a non-retention of Chinook in effect there at the time...even if you are fishing in Canada where Chinook are open you are not allowed to land in Port Angeles with Chinook on board.

Yeah, that part makes sense to me. The way around that is to actually land in Canada and clear customs, and then return and clear US customs.

That raises another question: How can charter boats out of Neah Bay run into Canadian waters to halibut fish and then return to port with their halibut when it is closed to halis on the WA side? Several boats are doing this every year and I assume legally. The ones I know are reputable and law-abiding and they clearly advertise the Canadian hali trips. How is this legal? I'm sure it satisfies BC law as they do require their customers to be licensed in Canada. But how about the US side?

Quite a few years back we used to get American Charter Boats that would come up to Barkley Sound and fish with their guests. After observing one boat in particular I made "freinds" with them and they told me everything about the operation, they would run up from stateside every morning and return in the evening. After I got all I needed I gave a little call to our local C&P boys. They told me to monitor the guys movements and let them know where he was at. That morning I fished Flemming and he was there as well. So I called DFO and let them know where he was, they told me they would be on scene in 20 mins. I saw them hiding behind a small Island in Smugglers cove snapping pictures for about 1 hr. Then after they had gathered evidence, they sprang out from behind the island and ran full bore at this guy. His reaction was to cut all his gear off and take off on em. There was about a 5 minute highspeed pursuit and I guess when he figured out he couldn't outrun the hurricane Zodiac he stopped. Never did find out what happened to him, but I never saw him back again.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Kramer...so long as you don't land on Canadian soil you don't have to clear customs.
That is correct!

quote:Us laws now say that if as an example; (you depart and return to Port Angeles) and there is a non-retention of Chinook in effect there at the time...even if you are fishing in Canada where Chinook are open you are not allowed to land in Port Angeles with Chinook on board.
Well this is something I have had the pleasure of experiencing first hand a few years back!

I had to stop at Port Angeles for fuel and what did I find at the fuel dock? Not U.S. Customs, which I had not cleared yet, but WDFG. What did I have on board? Yep, my full limit of Canadian fish! And, right again... Port Angeles was closed to salmon! To make a long story short I had the privilege of listening to a very long explanation of WDFG regulations, which did turn into a oneway lecture, and a very stern warning that they could not only take the catch, but they could also, seize my equipment, including the boat. Then was released!

Regarding "Salmon":
End result... you have to hone in on three parts, "any fresh salmon </u> taken for personal use from Canadian waters..." and, "...unless you physically clear Customs in Bedwell Harbour, Sydney, Ucluelet, Victoria, or White Rock, and get your Customs clearance number at the port." And, "If you are in possession of salmon that would be unlawful if taken in Washington, you may not fish in Washington waters."

First note the "physically" clear Customs statement. Yep, that is what it says and I was reminded of that! Accordingly, "fresh" is any fish not processed, such as gutted and on ice. If there is a question as to the origin. Good Luck! A Canadian license is not enough remove this question! Processed = cleaned, filleted, packaged, and/or frozen. So, that comes with a "catch 22", as you don't want to violate Canadian regulations! Result, if I had vacuum packed the salmon, in accordance with the Canadian regulations, based on the long lecture received, I would have been fine? If you decide to do this I take no liability for the lose of your equipment, as I found they can get down right serious! :)

Or, I could have cleared Customs and got a clearance number, which was told is the best way, then there is no question to the origin. However, in either case, Do Not stop and fish in Washington waters.

BTW, they sure did check my Candian license to see if the dates were current and correct and asked a lot of questions, prior to my lecture!

quote:Originally posted by Kramer

That raises another question: How can charter boats out of Neah Bay run into Canadian waters to halibut fish and then return to port with their halibut when it is closed to halis on the WA side? Several boats are doing this every year and I assume legally. The ones I know are reputable and law-abiding and they clearly advertise the Canadian hali trips. How is this legal? I'm sure it satisfies BC law as they do require their customers to be licensed in Canada. But how about the US side?

Halibut is a different part of the regulation. It does not have the "It is unlawful to possess in marine waters or land into Washington …" statement, rather has the, "If you fish for HALIBUT in Washington, the daily limit is one HALIBUT, and the possession limit is two HALIBUT, regardless of where they are taken. No more than one daily limit of HALIBUT may be possessed aboard the fishing vessel."

The Neah Bay charter boats are not legally allowed to fish with paying customers in Canadian waters. As Canadian charter vessels could not conduct business in US waters. They get away with because it is hard to prove any payment exchanges hands. DFO would have to do a sting by sending someone as a customer to actually get on board. Otherwise the skipper only has to claim that these are all his friends he is taking fishing. Also there is some sensitivity with regards to a possible clamping down of cross border whale watching by the US if we pursue stopping the Neah Bay fleet.

The Neah Bay charter boats are not legally allowed to fish with paying customers in Canadian waters. As Canadian charter vessels could not conduct business in US waters. They get away with because it is hard to prove any payment exchanges hands. DFO would have to do a sting by sending someone as a customer to actually get on board. Otherwise the skipper only has to claim that these are all his friends he is taking fishing. Also there is some sensitivity with regards to a possible clamping down of cross border whale watching by the US if we pursue stopping the Neah Bay fleet.

It would be pretty easy to "do a sting" since these are well advertised trips (newsletter publications and online, and right there on the docks). They are also very up front in stating that the customer has have a BC license that was purchased in Canada. Seems like this satisfies the DFO regs, no? If it is illegal, on which side of the border and which laws are being violated?

On the Canadian side. Just as it would be illegal for me to take all my Canadian charter trips to the US side to fish. Honestly what would happen if a bunch of Canadian 15 man charter boats showed up at PA and started working there everyday. (not that they ever would as the fishing doesn't support it) There is a protocol to follow before you earn a living in any foreign country.

On the Canadian side. Just as it would be illegal for me to take all my Canadian charter trips to the US side to fish. Honestly what would happen if a bunch of Canadian 15 man charter boats showed up at PA and started working there everyday. (not that they ever would as the fishing doesn't support it) There is a protocol to follow before you earn a living in any foreign country.

So, if these guys have visas or something to allow them to operate, that would be okay? Just wondering what the requirements are and if it is possible that at least some of them are going by the book. Like I said, if what these guys are doing is illegal, it is not tough to find them and lay down the law.

Hmm...
I think to get a charter license in Canada, don't you have to be a resisdent of Canada? Used to be that way, when I was looking into it?

In WA, you can't get a new license, they can only be transfered, so you have to buy one from someone?

Back