Bellingham to Bamfield

Thank you very much for the info. I took a look at the currents from a number of stations and it looks like we may getting a little help there. Pillar Point (on 6/27) is showing that its outgoing with a slack at 11:29AM. I am hoping that helps us shave a bit of time off the trip. I think we will focus on hitting Victoria to clear Customs and get fuel. Truly appreciate the tips!
Use Race Passage as your current reference but check the North Latitude as there is another one in Johnstone Strait

I have a 305 Conquest and it's relative to comfort for me, If it's a Westerly over 15kts on an ebb (wind against tide)stacking I start to slow down, maybe ducking along victoria and using enterprise channel. Nothing wrong with a tailwind unless it's overwhelming and causing surfriding. See the attached appendice for frequency of fog. Typically, if it's foggy it won't be super windy but I'm not saying that can't happen so pick your vices. I'm quite comfortable navigating in fog, I use a dedicated radar screen and not overlay as the chartplotter operates on different principals and time delays. I also find it cluttered. Yes I am a career mariner as the handle suggests. Good catch by Sharphooks!
Great info thanks! nothing like getting it from an expert! :) I think my worst trips have been in the fog. I too have seperate radar screen but one time we had fog starting from Race Rocks all the way to Cape Beal. 5 hours. My eyes were going buggy and seeing all sorts of things in the fog. Pretty sure I saw a Kraken!

There is a US equivlent app called CBP Roam.
Dont mean to go over OP but has anyone gone into the US (like Roche Harbour) Via boat? The CBP Roam app says at this time routine small vessel travel for pleasure during Covid is non essential and therfore restricted.
Curious where you saw that as i can't find it. I'm looking at going to Roche for fuel next week. The most recent update i saw was April. We had some friends go to Friday Harbour on the weekend and used the App while at anchor to report in so that may be old info?

Last edited:
Curious where you saw that as i can't find it. I'm looking at going to Roche for fuel next week. The most recent update i saw was April. We had some friends go to Friday Harbour on the weekend and used the App while at anchor to report in so that may be old info?

I just downloaded the CBP app to my iPhone 2 days ago. As soon as I open app I get picture below.
Was thinking going for fuel as well. Need 700 litres so would pay for the trip anyway.
I figured a call to Roche CBP would be best

IMG_6706.PNG

I have a 305 Conquest and it's relative to comfort for me, If it's a Westerly over 15kts on an ebb (wind against tide)stacking I start to slow down, maybe ducking along victoria and using enterprise channel. Nothing wrong with a tailwind unless it's overwhelming and causing surfriding. See the attached appendice for frequency of fog. Typically, if it's foggy it won't be super windy but I'm not saying that can't happen so pick your vices. I'm quite comfortable navigating in fog, I use a dedicated radar screen and not overlay as the chartplotter operates on different principals and time delays. I also find it cluttered. Yes I am a career mariner as the handle suggests. Good catch by Sharphooks!
What is your job exactly? Don’t mean to derail just curious.

Great idea! I think a pit stop in Renfrew would be a nice pit stop to break it up. I do have radar overlay and am working with Lowrance/Simrad to figure out the best autopilot for the boat. I run a Lowrance Live 12" and apparently, Lowrance units are only compatible with very few autopilots that Simrad has. She's got twin 225's and the ones they list as compatible are for single main's only. Great input. Thank you.
The Lowrance AP won't work well for twin engine application - the pump is too small. Simrad with the larger pump is the way to go. Unit compatibility (Lowrance v Simrad) is a real problem...that said, most people with AP don't use the charting features much anyways. Another great feature is you can purchase a WR-10 wireless remote - that thing is the cat's azz. I can control the vessel from anywhere, very handy for trolling. You won't look back once you have that set up. Good luck, and see you in Barkley.

The Lowrance AP won't work well for twin engine application - the pump is too small. Simrad with the larger pump is the way to go. Unit compatibility (Lowrance v Simrad) is a real problem...that said, most people with AP don't use the charting features much anyways. Another great feature is you can purchase a WR-10 wireless remote - that thing is the cat's azz. I can control the vessel from anywhere, very handy for trolling. You won't look back once you have that set up. Good luck, and see you in Barkley.
I downloaded the updated to my Live 12 and 9" and now they are compatible with all Simrad AP's. I purchased the NAC-2 "kit" and also got the WR-10 remote. I am seriously contemplating getting the FU80 (follow up) remote. This allows more than 10 degree adjustments, which is my only complaint about the WR-10 thus far. Do you use your WR-10 while trolling? I really like fishing structure and feel that being able to quickly adjust course to avoid hanging balls or avoiding other boats is a must. The WR-10 seems to be limited in how quickly it can adjust course?

I just finished fabricating the brackets for a tie bar set up. The boat has a TR-1 and though it does do a decent job, I have to trim the mains almost out of the water for the boat to be able to turn with any reliability. With the new AP installed, I am hoping that the mains will really give me a good rudder to hold course. I took the brackets I made to a local powder coating shop and he is going to Ceracote them. Just wish I had an idea of how to engineer a set up that I wouldn't have to disconnect the kicker to move from spot to spot.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 35
Back