Critter Cove

Cuba Libre

Some of this is a repeat... but bring your Peetz!

quote:Summer is now officially here, and with hopes that the sunshine is soon to follow, here are a few reminders to help make your trip to Nootka this summer a little more enjoyable:

We have moved a few of the moorage slips, so check the attached Marina Map to see if your parking slip has been affected.

The gas dock has been separated from Critter Cove. It now sits just in front of camp. Visa, M/C, and debit will be possible now, but gas charges to a room or slip will no longer be possible You'll pay for your gas when you fill up. Please do not rely on your credit cards. If the system goes down we are way down on the list for a service call, so please have some cash on hand.

The launch at Gold River is as always challenging at low tide. Try to plan your launch at a 4 foot tide or higher. Also, try to have your boat loaded prior to backing down the ramp. This blockage of traffic has led to more than one altercation. Here's a link to Gold River Tides: http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bi...pe=showZone&language=english&region=1&zone=12

Having ferry reservations can reduce travel hassle. Here's a link to BC Ferries where you can make reservations: http://www.bcferries.com/ or call them at 1-888-223-3779 (1-888-BCFERRY)

It's a great idea to get your fishing licence before arrival. You can buy your fishing licences on line and print them out on your own computer to save paperwork when you're at Critter Cove. Here's a link to fishing licences: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/licensing/default_e.htm#Tidal_Licensing and click on "Recreational Fishing Licence System" to get started.

We suggest you check with the border if you'll be crossing one, to make sure you have the right documentation required.

Garbage - when doing the big Costco shop on the way up, please remember that we have yet to meet the group of guys that can eat a gallon of mustard in a 4 day stay. Please try to keep the amount of garbage you bring and leave behind down to a minimum.

Bait - Sounds like there is going to be a shortage of large and extra large herring this year. Stock up if that's all you use. We will have a steady supply of medium herring and large anchovy.

Critter Cove Retro Club - There will be a trophy presented at the end of the season to the guest has caught the largest Chinook fishing under these guidelines:

must be caught from a boat 17ft and under

tiller steer motor no larger than 30hp

no electronic fish finder

no electric down riggers

must be using a Peetz reel

We will have a boat on hand for anyone interested in trying.

The fishing regulations for 2008 have just been released. They can be viewed at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Opportunities/salmon_tidal_e.htm The regs for Nootka are basically the same as last year with one exception. DFO has imposed a one mile wide ribbon down the surf line off the coast of Vancouver Island within which Chinook must be under 77cm in order to be retained. This action has been taken to help weaker Southern stocks. We gather fishing inside and outside this ribbon will remain the same as last year.

Those in the know are expecting a great year for Nootka.

See you soon,

Cameron & Catherine
Critter Cove
P.O. Box 1118
Gold River, BC
V0P 1G0 Canada
(250) 283-7364

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

This means I can't rub the beach at Beano Creek! Oh well...maybe takin' a year off will mean more fish in the future.

quote:Originally posted by xavier

This means I can't rub the beach at Beano Creek! Oh well...maybe takin' a year off will mean more fish in the future.

You can rub it, but you can only keep the small ones.

What about Bajo? Is that one mile out?

Yea, Bajo's ok.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Juandesooka...
any reports from your visit to Critter cove ?
Thanks !:)

Back, safe and sound...but well and truly schooled! [:I]

On the good side...beautiful weather, amazing scenery, whale show in the sound, otters, eagles, swam in 75F water up one of the inlets. I'd recommend Critter as a good home base. Good for the family.

On the bad side...one coho for my troubles! Fishing was slow Monday and Tuesday (7/8), very few fish on the board and lots of bitching around the docks, especially Monday. Things picked up later in the week BUT my motor leg crapped out Tues am, and the rest of the trip was putt-putting inside on my kicker, with the second phase of the trip canceled (the part adventure camping without the family...doh).

Sounds like Maquinna was really good Weds (9th) and the Lighthouse too. There's some salmon inside the Sound now, but it's not quite going off...or at least they didn't like what we had on offer.

And there's apparently no crabs in Nootka Sound...so don't bother bringing your trap.

BTW, hopefully you won't ever need to know, but it is a 4 hour ride to kicker up Muchalat from Critter... :(

fishingportrenfrew.ca
fishingsooke.ca

Back