Crap Catcher

L

leftyodoul

Has anyone heard of a Crap Catcher? I was told that when you are trolling using your downrigger and there is a lot of kelp and debris in the water you should attach a ring or carbinner to a line, attach the line to your boat and allow the ring/carabinner to slide down the downrigger line just below the surface. It will catch all of the "Crap" and not allow the debris to get down to your fishing lines. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Hey Lefty: For many years I have been thinking about developing some sort of device that easily attaches and releases from the downrigger line. But then wondered how would you encorperate it to cover the fishing line as well? Do you know of a device that's available now?

Ive seen it on some electrics and it seems to do the job nicely.
Oh yea what i am thinking of is not sub surface it hangs between teh DR and the surface and is attached to a line and just stops or knocks junk off. Is this what you meant? scotty sells them i think.

http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/downriggers/draccess/drWeights.html
I was thinking of the wieght retriever my bad. Still keeps the crap from getting in you spool when retrieving the line.

Eaglemaniac - I know that this is going to sound strange but go to this website, www.salmonbroadsandbeer.com and in the search field type in Crap Catcher. It shows a picture of the item and describes how it works. Take a look and let me know what you think.

I was thinking along those lines. Certainly something that would stay in place just under the surface, in sort of a upside down spider kind of shape. That was easy to install and remove without it getting wrapped up in the rigger. I cant quite understand how a ring or a weight would grab alot of the debris, thats where the spider shape comes in. Although I could be missing something here. eman

These are great thoughts. I'd be willing to try the Scotty ball retriever. Bet it would work. Dang stuff tends to hang on to the cable with nothing on it anyway. I often try to use my boat hook to grab stuff off the line but with the movement of the water its pretty hard. I need to buy a new counter for 1 DR so might just grab a couple of those while there. The crap in the water this past weekend was a seller for me.

hey knocklebuster were you at nootka on the weekend. I think I seen you troll by on Fri or Sat.

quote:Originally posted by doubletyee

hey knocklebuster were you at nootka on the weekend. I think I seen you troll by on Fri or Sat.
Knot I sir. K B was the name of a previous boat of mine but there are also other boats around with same name.
Wish I was up there though.

Back