Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO

• Thread starter Local Hali Hunter
  • Start date
So what should we discuss on a thread titled

Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO​

I agree there are many other topics of importance but if you feel strongly about them create your own thread on them. Next thing you know people will be posting Fishing Reports on the Fishing Report thread. Personally I don’t open threads that I’m not interested in, just a suggestion.

no this is the thread to discuss it, just getting mad and it expecting change at this point is pointless '

it kind of is what it is

lol that's comical, besides some Facebook rage I doubt any are putting out any effort beyond that.

everyone's always such big talk, ask them to volunteer a second of there after work/family time to fight a change and they all disappear and accept it like its no big deal.
Yup

The new crab and prawn buoy conditions of license will come out with the new licenses that take effect April 1. There will be some slight modifications to the original proposed lingo to describe the new standard and allow improved flexibility. For example, one change describes what shaped buoys can be used (for crab - cylindrical and not necessarily bullet shape), including the ability to add a short tag line to existing buoy set ups to add the correct buoy to indicate the species being fished (crab v prawn). Another amendment is to describe the buoy construction material must be robust to avoid breaking down damaging the environment. The overall intent of the change is to remove plastics which break down in the environment and also adopt a standard buoy shape to help indicate the species being fished. Gone are the days of using an old bleach bottle as a buoy.

The new crab and prawn buoy conditions of license will come out with the new licenses that take effect April 1. There will be some slight modifications to the original proposed lingo to describe the new standard and allow improved flexibility. For example, one change describes what shaped buoys can be used (for crab - cylindrical and not necessarily bullet shape), including the ability to add a short tag line to existing buoy set ups to add the correct buoy to indicate the species being fished (crab v prawn). Another amendment is to describe the buoy construction material must be robust to avoid breaking down damaging the environment. The overall intent of the change is to remove plastics which break down in the environment and also adopt a standard buoy shape to help indicate the species being fished. Gone are the days of using an old bleach bottle as a buoy.
Thanks for the update. In Vancouver Harbour around the freighters I often see large blue plastic jugs (mostly similar) that I assume are from the freighter crewmen when they are anchored here and want to get a feed of crab.

Thought all the cylindrical cone shape were made of styrofoam

As of April 1/2023 I see the regulations for crab floats have changed.
My question is on line, on the fisheries and oceans canada in the pacific region web site. It says Floats attached to crab traps must be bullet shaped cylindrical floats a minimum of 27 cm in length and 12 cm in diameter. It doesn't say if the floats have to be red and white, as that is what some people use for crab traps. My question is can we use all white or all yellow bullet shaped cylindrical floats, with a A1 polyform bouy.

The new licenses once they are approved and sent out will have printed conditions setting out all the details. DFO has been engaging the SFAB for several years, seeking input on how to meet their objective to reduce plastics from the oceans and more easily differentiate between crab vs prawn gear being fished.

The new buoy standard will not specify a colour requirement. Crab will be a cylindrical shape, 27cm x 12 cm. Prawn will be 27cm (minimum diameter) round shape. There will be a requirement for the buoy construction to be made from a durable material. You will also be allowed to simply attach the correct shaped buoy to your existing gear with a short tag line.

Another consideration was to select a buoy standard that closely replicates the buoy styles commonly in use within the fishery to lessen the $ impact to stakeholders required to modify their current gear.

Also, can't help but think this is just a "paper straw" fix while our recycling is dumped in the ocean by poorer nations tasked with its disposal.

I don't think polyform uses organic material in their products. Think some of the tide bottles are though 🤣

It was my understanding that any colour cylinder float (all White, Red & White, or Yellow ) of either size will be acceptable.

SeaRun's ad this week states Red & White (either size) are required.

Please correct me if I am wrong.(seriously)

1678743465522.png
in either the small or large

1678743891603.png

It was my understanding that any colour cylinder float (all White, Red & White, or Yellow ) of either size will be acceptable.

Correct

Back