Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO

• Thread starter Local Hali Hunter
  • Start date
Looping back to this as April 1 gets closer. @searun you mention that "

Would this not be a problem (if you have two different floats on the line would you not be in violation of the rule?
If you have a look at the DFO reg change that was released last year, they actually suggest that adding the compliant bullet float with name etc. to an existing float would be allowed. No bleach or laundry bottles though. Unfortunately this info is not on the Pacific DFO Crab section yet, it only references the April 2023 change. https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/crab-crabe-eng.html

Maybe @searun has the revised rules in a DFO release format. Be nice to him, he volunteers when many will not.

On my prawn gear I run a scotch man and then a yellow bullet style. Do I have to pull off my trailer bouy now?

You know it's a commercial set when the number is written all over the float.
Yeah I’m aware of that. What I suggest is a standard shape and or colour, so you know you’re dealing with a commercial set and can look for the other float to determine the orientation of the set. Getting close enough to read the number always reminds me of the old bumper sticker “ If you can read this, you’re too close!”.
This is particularly an issue in places fished deep like Sidney Channel. Unfortunately the area is heavily commercially fished, buoys are often under water and I’ve even seen them use black ones. Not great when you’re fishing deep. Just a thought to make sharing the area work better.

You guys love micro managing pointless things. I say this because we have major things to deal with right now. Like loosing our fishery and guys are worried about standardizing crab and Prawn floats. What a joke

Last edited:
You guys love micro managing pointless things. I say this because we have major things to deal with right now. Like loosing our fishery and guys are worried about standardizing crab and Prawn floats. What a joke
Makes a huge difference if you are transiting between two floats that represent the two ends of commercial set or two floats that are simply marking two individual traps.

Makes a huge difference if you are transiting between two floats that represent the two ends of commercial set or two floats that are simply marking two individual traps.
Who gives a **** their not yours so go fish somewhere else. Put your energy into finding funding for fighting against whatever it is were fighting against here. Leave the crab pots and the prawn sets for after. All I'm saying. We need unity here or guess what? Gone bye done. Next topic

Who gives a **** their not yours so go fish somewhere else. Put your energy into finding funding for fighting against whatever it is were fighting against here. Leave the crab pots and the prawn sets for after. All I'm saying. We need unity here or guess what? Gone bye done. Next topic
I completely understand where you’re coming from where this isn’t worth a fight. But discussing new fishing regulations whether they’re pointless or not can help people comply and this is a great platform to atleast have peoples interpretation of what is the correct way to do so!

I completely understand where you’re coming from where this isn’t worth a fight. But discussing new fishing regulations whether they’re pointless or not can help people comply and this is a great platform to atleast have peoples interpretation of what is the correct way to do so!
Fair, but we should be putting our energy into a fund so we can get the alliance into Supreme Court. Should t even be a topic for SFAB at this point. Focus on the topic at hand. Or crab fishing is all your going to have

I do! What was the title of this thread again?

I do! What was the title of this thread again?
There is a 90 plus comment post on a Facebook Vancouver fishing page on the same topic, many don't know of the change, many don't understand the change, some are fighting the change. Good to discuss it for sure especially when we have a few members of the advisory board on here to opine.

it was a done deal last year when it got printed on the licenses, people were given a year to get the floats.

frankly its no big deal and it shows the rec fishermen can have and comply with pretty simple floats and labeling.

Yep done deal need to move on. Lot more issues than being stuck on what floats you use.

SFAB has bigger things to deal with at moment like keeping fishery open with SRKW, and this years management plans on chinook.

it was a done deal last year when it got printed on the licenses, people were given a year to get the floats.

frankly its no big deal and it shows the rec fishermen can have and comply with pretty simple floats and labeling.
I am onboard with the new regs, also like to help others that are not yet aware (not the ones that resist change) but where on last years license did it show the new float regs?

So what should we discuss on a thread titled

Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO​

I agree there are many other topics of importance but if you feel strongly about them create your own thread on them. Next thing you know people will be posting Fishing Reports on the Fishing Report thread. Personally I don’t open threads that I’m not interested in, just a suggestion.

So what should we discuss on a thread titled

Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO​

I agree there are many other topics of importance but if you feel strongly about them create your own thread on them. Next thing you know people will be posting Fishing Reports on the Fishing Report thread. Personally I don’t open threads that I’m not interested in, just a suggestion.

your right on the licenses it only said not to use plastic jugs, ect

on the website it said

• Planned change for April 1, 2023: Floats attached to crab traps must be bullet shaped cylindrical floats a minimum of 27cm in length and 12cm in diameter. Typically these are foam floats which can be found at most tackle retailers

i read so much stuff its hard to keep track of where and when i read it

Back