Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO

• Thread starter Local Hali Hunter
  • Start date
It was my understanding that any colour cylinder float (all White, Red & White, or Yellow ) of either size will be acceptable.

SeaRun's ad this week states Red & White (either size) are required.

Please correct me if I am wrong.(seriously)

View attachment 90575
in either the small or large

View attachment 90576
Won't it be fun when we all use the same red and white bullet shape floats suggested above.
Dozens of floats in the same area checking to find your name and phone number.
Just what is the purpose? Ridiculous !

Won't it be fun when we all use the same red and white bullet shape floats suggested above.
Dozens of floats in the same area checking to find your name and phone number.
Just what is the purpose? Ridiculous !
Names and Phone numbers - this sounds like a dating service

How about

Fisherman's Friend (nope taken)

Call me I've got your Crabs

Rot Cord Dating, - it's fun becasue you can always break away.

Names and Phone numbers - this sounds like a dating service

How about

Fisherman's Friend (nope taken)

Call me I've got your Crabs

Rot Cord Dating, - it's fun becasue you can always break away.
Being required to put your name and phone number on a float in a public place is in violation of the BC Privacy act.
Next DFO will require you to register to fish for crabs and prawns, charge you an additional fee and give you an ID number.

Can you use 2 corks inline with eachother? I don't really see the difference and all it's going to do is **** everyone off when they have to buy floats all the time. Since traps get stolen so often all over the coast. It's either lacky rec guys stealing people's crap or it's the commercial guys kicking you out by making your gear disappear. I have tons of seine corks. I don't mind loosing those

Last edited:
They brought the regulations out over a year ago to give everyone time and also to let the shops know what they needed to sell for compliant float gear to their clients.

They brought the regulations out over a year ago to give everyone time and also to let the shops know what they needed to sell for compliant float gear to their clients.
Well I guess their about to sell a million crab floats then. It's going to **** everyone off.

Being required to put your name and phone number on a float in a public place is in violation of the BC Privacy act.
Next DFO will require you to register to fish for crabs and prawns, charge you an additional fee and give you an ID number.

Thanks for raising this point.

I spoke to the BC Privacy Office this morning and becasue the DFO is a Federal Agency any questions about whether or not this is a privacy matter needs to go to the Federal Privacy Commissioner.

I would encourage folks to call the Feds and ask for a call back on this name/ phone number business.

The number is 800-282-1376 and you have to leave a message for a call back.

My one call will do nothing but.... if they get 30 or 40 calls it might be a different matter

From the DFO website

My highlights

Your privacy and the Internet

The nature of the Internet is such that web servers automatically collect certain information about a visit to a website, including the visitor's Internet Protocol (IP) address. IP addresses are unique numbers assigned by Internet Service Providers (ISP) to all devices used to access the Internet. Web servers automatically log the IP addresses of visitors to their sites. The IP address, on its own, does not identify an individual. However, in certain circumstances, such as with the co-operation of an ISP for example, it could be used to identify an individual using the site. For this reason, the Government of Canada considers the IP address to be personal information, particularly when combined with other data automatically collected when visitor requests a web page such as the page or pages visited, date and time of the visit.

Unless otherwise noted, Fisheries and Oceans Canada does not automatically gather any specific information from you, such as your name, telephone number or email address. Fisheries and Oceans Canada would obtain this type of information only if you supply it to us, for example, by email or by filling in a contact form. In such cases, how your personal information is handled will be provided in a Personal Information Collection Statement.

In cases where services are provided by organizations outside of the Government of Canada, such as social media platforms or mobile applications, IP addresses may be recorded by the web server of the third-party service provider.

Communicating with the Government of Canada

If you choose to send Fisheries and Oceans Canada an email or complete a feedback form online, your personal information is used by Fisheries and Oceans Canada in order to respond to your inquiry. The information you provide will only be shared with another government institution if your inquiry relates to that institution. Fisheries and Oceans Canada does not use the information to create individual profiles nor does it disclose the information to anyone other than to those in the federal government who need to provide you with a response. Any disclosure of your personal information is in accordance with the Privacy Act.

Emails and other electronic methods used to communicate with the Government of Canada are not secure unless it is specifically stated on a web page. Therefore, it is recommended that you do not send sensitive personal information, such as your Social Insurance Number or your date of birth, through non-secure electronic means.

Personal information from emails or completed feedback forms is collected pursuant to section 4 of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Act. Such information may be used for statistical, evaluation and reporting purposes and is included in Standard Personal Information Bank Public Communications (PSU 914).

What a bazar thread, your floats can be any color you want

Don’t believe everything you read on internet
Where do you get your DFO regulations from? If memory serves me correct, when the upcoming regulation notices first came out, I think DFO did ask for a red and white. Now that may have changed as it got closer to the implementation date.

Where do you get your DFO regulations from? If memory serves me correct, when the upcoming regulation notices first came out, I think DFO did ask for a red and white. Now that may have changed as it got closer to the implementation date.

same place is everyone else show me in the regs were it specifics the color.

Section 3 of the Privacy Act defines personal information as any information that identifies an individual. This includes information such as your name, address, IP address, telephone number, birth date, social insurance number, e-mail address and employment information.​

same place is everyone else show me in the regs were it specifics the color.
As mentioned, when the first notice came out, there was discussion about red and white, and it said secondary floats could be any other color, however, this may have changed. I think it’s in one of the threads from last year from our volunteers that attend these meetings.

it was original going down the road of red/white or a yellow but i believe it is any colour

if you don't want to agree to the terms of your fishing licence you don't have to get one

That is not the issue.

The issue is one of personal privacy and a poorly thought out registry

Let's say a 22 year old female is out on her boat and pulling traps. Some one is watching her with binos and decides they like what they see . They motor out afterwards and get her name and phone number. That is acceptable ?

Our female staff use fake names at starbucks when ordering coffee to protect themselves

You aren't required to put a sign up in the back window of your car with your name and phone number on it everytime you go out for a drive.

Would you get on an airplane if prior to your flight the airline required your name and phone number to be written on the paper headrest cover of the seat you were assigned.

That is not the issue.

The issue is one of personal privacy and a poorly thought out registry

Let's say a 22 year old female is out on her boat and pulling traps. Some one is watching her with binos and decides they like what they see . They mptor put afterwards and get her name and phone number.

Our female staff use fake names at starbucks when ordering coffee to protect themselves

You aren't required to put a sign up in the back window of your car with your name and phone number on it everytime you go out for a drive.

Would you get on an airplane if prior to your flight the airline required your name and phone number to be written on the paper headrest cover of the seat you were assigned.

awesome I look forward to see how far you guys take it.

good luck

Just bought my 2023 saltwater license and on it is stated:

"Crab, Prawn and Shrimp Floats: The primary float attached to crab traps must be cylindrical in shape (includes bullet shaped) and a minimum of 27 cm in length and 12 cm in diameter; an optional secondary float may be used of any shape or size other than spherical. The primary float attached to prawn and shrimp traps must be spherical in shape and a minimum of 27 cm in diameter; an optional secondary float may be used of any shape or size other than cylindrical. Floats must be made of a durable material and suitable for operation in marine waters; floats/materials not suitable for use in marine waters are prohibited."

From this I take it that the primary float is the first one attached to the main trap line and has to be the correct size and shape. The secondary float can be any size or color as long as it is "durable" (i.e. designed to be a fishing float - no bleach bottles, etc.). There are no color restrictions for any of these floats.

So.... anybody know where you can buy some nice 'durable' square, rectangular or triangular floats? Is a football shaped float neither cylindrical or spherical??? :rolleyes::mad:

Last edited:
I think I can see where they are going here. Hopefully it will result in less lost, sunk and submerged traps/ floats and ropes.
I already use scotchman floats on prawn traps then I attach a bullet float with name on it. This enables me to attach bullet floats with different names on them according to who is on board. I have some with my name and others with my kids names. For crabs I have been using 2 bullets for a while now but I think I will get some random colored bullets now that everyone will be using them.
Now if only they would enforce some rules about having enough line to keep your float visible above the waterline and hold Commercials accountable for this. ie. Gordon Bay.

Back