COYOTEE SPOONS

Wireman

When fishing with coyotee spoons do you keep the spinner on that is down by the hook or do you remove? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE CHEERS.

I always leave those spinners on. I have been getting in the habit of replacing the hooks.

Highliner

100% agree on the hook change, had one straighten out on a 6" about 4 yrs ago and will never trust them again.

I always take mine off. I had one spin halfway out before while fighting a fish. So I took it off, Too late though, while fighting a fish later in the day the hook followed the same path along the ring and disconnected. I think it is only a matter of time before the spinners wreak havok on the split rings.

I leave the spinner on , besides the hook look at the welded ring , really awful jobs on a lot of them , I cut them off and substitute a split ring immediately.

AL

Some new spoons don’t have a tail (spinner). I take one from a retired spoon and put it on. I also change my hooks to mustad as the original hooks can break off at the wrong time. Last year my fishing partner keep getting hits but when he pulled in his gear no fish. I keep saying check your gear and he keep saying it was fine. I finally had a look and the hook was gone. He must have lost 3 fish that day. My fault as he was new.Lesson learned the hard way.
GLG

I agree with AlleyCat. I totally rebuild mine when I buy them. I replace the split ring and hook, and then cut off the welded ring on top and replace it with a split ring and barrel swivel. Then I give them two coats of clear nail polish to help preserve the finish. It's a pain, but they seem to last longer.

Won't the added swivel change the action?

i chop the spinner and change the hooks if they look cheap. I caught fish with the spoons before the spinner so i dont mess with it. Might be good for coho though

As many of you know, the new Coyote spoons will all be made in China going forward....:( I did stop in at Sleg Lumber in Comox just off of Anderton ( I think it is called Sleg Lumber) and they still had a swack of Coyote spoons, all made in the good old USA. These will not longer be available soon so if you want a superior product to what will only be available in the future, this is your chance. :DStriper Sniper

SS...... I hear you but it's a shame and hard to think that the Coyote's can get any more cheaply made. Paint, hooks etc etc but they defintely have the action that works.

The chinese versions are already on the shevles, for about 5 months or so. Chances are you have already fished with them

Back