COWICHAN BAY / CHERRY POINT MARINA

H

HOOTEY

WHAT IF ANY IS RUNNING THROUGH AND UP THE KOKISILA AND COWICHAN RIVERS AT THE MOUTH OR THESE RIVERS,ALLONG THE BEACHES,,,ANY WHERE IN PARTICULAR TO FISH AND WHAT TO USE???

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

Hootey,

LEAVE THEM ALONE. DO NOT FISH COWICHAN. I am local up here, and I can tell u river is in trouble ( water level super low), and it is best to leave the stock alone.

Everything is closed except the pink run, and I am very worried some chinook may get targetted by mistake. If you go fishing for pink there are bounderies set-up. Just go to DFO site.

Looking for rivers maybe look up island at alberni or different sytems.

Smiley66

What he said - leave that river be

When I was a kid we fished cowichan bay . The river does seem to rebound with good stocks. I still think the world record for a coho came from cow bay. 31 lbs I believe.

Yeah the Cowichan was fantastic back in the day. Hard to beleive that is has changed dramatically even in the past 20 years. Guess I am getting old.

I don't think you could legally fish the Cowichan or Koksilah. These rivers are in big trouble especially the Cowichan which continues to be abused. Take a walk down some of the trails along the Cowichan and see the disrespect for what once was a great river.I breaks my heart to see the garbage left behing by tubers and campers.

As Poppa Swiss indicated, there should be returns to Cowichan Bay and Cherry Point of sea pen raised pink salmon this summer. Those fish have been raised specifically to create a beach based tidal waters fishery for residents of the Cowichan Valley. The project has been undertaken by a hard working group of volunteers from the local angling community who are more aware than most of the reality of chinook decline in the Cowichan. Regulations have been created specifically to facilitate the pink sea pen fishery with no impact on holding or passing chinook stocks. Check the regs and head out, it should be fun!...

Gooey

Such a shame. I used to beach seine brood stock from the river for the hatchery in the 90's and these chinook were some of the prettiest I have ever seen. Robust and amazing colours. Any given day we would get quite a few over 30 and a few over 40 as well.

Funny thing, the larger ones often had rusty hooks still in their mouth from busting off commies and sporties on route.

Back