Converting I/O to Outboard

Big Zeke

I'm looking into converting my Campion 215 Fishing Machine from an I/O to an outboard. The existing engine has very few hours on it (about 120, the boat was repowered a few years ago) and the Alpha 1 leg is new (replaced by insurance last year).

In looking around on the internet, I have found a few back-model Merc and Yamis in the 150-200HP range for a good price but I don't have a clue what is involved in making the conversion and any reputable shops that can do the work.

I like the layout of the boat so I'm interested in keepign it. The boat recently had new stringers and transom...I guess I should have thought about this conversion back then.

All replies are appreciated.
Zeke

My only question would be why? Sounds like you have a reliable and damnnear new motor in there now and the costs of converting would not be insignificant. If it is strictly for the extra space, its an awful lot of money for the 6 square feet of additional space.

You folks make a good point. During the transom/stringer fiasco, the installer fiddled with the engine and it have idled rough ever since. I'm a bit afraid of what my engine guy will find as I have no hope of getting any $$ out of the stringer guy, at a local shop rate of $120/hr the costs could mount quickly. Likewise, I find some of the service points on my engine a bit tough to reach (have tried to install a starter and found one extra elbow in my arm would be handy).

I was just figuring that I could get some good $$ from this used engine & drive and if the conversion wasn't too expensive I might be able to consider it. The new engine technology is interesting but there is a limit I'm willing to pay for this convenience.

Any suggestions on where else to look on the internet for some engine pricing...looking at iBoats.com seemed very intersting esp for back-model stuff.

Thanks richmake, I'll keep you in mind if I decide to proceed. The general consensus is that the conversion is a bad idea. Given that selling will probably result in me taking a bath on the recent work, I'll probably throw myself at the feet of a good marine mechanic (if I can find one locally) and take the hit. Given the hours on the longblock & drive, the $$ I'll invest now should be small compared to selling and replacing this unit.

Thanks again for the input
Zeke

as for power stay away form Johnson Ocean Pro, first year Yammie HPDI and I would stay away from first 2 year Murc Optimax
I seen a boat with the conversion they look nice and the deck is hardly noticable when sealed up

its not uncommon to see it done

Where are you located? Ocean Marine in Nanaimo does excellent mercruiser work. If you have almost new power...I'd either stick with it or sell the boat.

Howdy Zeke,

Hard to argue with the power-to-weight ratio of todays outboards.

Sage advise from the boys here; big $$$ to step into the bigger HP units.

Me, I'm a sterndrive guy; always have been. I like the mill in the boat and like the idea that there are more things on your basic automotive block that I can fix myself.

My engine house makes a great seat while I'm trollin' and tending to the downriggers and such.

I agree, either love your boat as it is - or get something else.

Cheers,
Terry

It seems to be the thing these days for many people to switch to an outboard. Unfortunately most of the ones I've seen pictures posted with their new pods are of these grotesque aluminum monstrosities slapped onto the back of the boat. They seldom offer any floatation, and just look stupid to me. This is just my opinion, and maybe it's a cost factor to podding a boat and this may the the cheapest way to achieve the desired outcome.

There is a local company here on the Sunshine Coast who are doing some really nice pod conversions on a few Double Eagle boats. The work when finished looks like it came from the factory. It offers a great deal of buoyancy as well. I have no idea of the cost to do this conversion, but it's by far the best I've seen when it comes to podding a boat.

pod1.jpg

pod2.jpg

pod3.jpg

Tell them Butt Ugly sent you.

Back