Stern drive to Outboard conversion questions

ichenjia

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of looking at several boats. One of the things my friends kept telling me is converting older stern drive boat to outboard. I have few questions about that.

Say I have a Campion Explorer 188 with a Volvo SX 3.0 (135HP)

1) If converted to an outboard, would a Yahama 115HP suffice?
2) How much approximately does it cost assuming the transom is in good condition and need a new engine to go with it

Thank you very much!

Too many unknowns,
are you prepping ? as in removal of old motor, wiring and controls.
If you're having it all done professionally I'll bet you'll be around $30K.
Probably not worth it considering what you could buy for the same.

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of looking at several boats. One of the things my friends kept telling me is converting older stern drive boat to outboard. I have few questions about that.

2) How much approximately does it cost assuming the transom is in good condition and need a new engine to go with it

Thank you very much!

I would put a 150hp on it.

25-30k range if your going new.
15-20k used power.

I am about to do mine soon.

Is this conversion due to a lack of deck space?

I just don't see the reasoning behind going to an very expensive outboard except the boat is too small.

I know that California is forcing inboards to have catalytic converters and such so maybe that is why a big push for outboards

It is just a huge expense for smaller power, less fuel economy and poorer stability

Those 3.0 engines go back 50 or more years, early 60's so there is probably a way to improve HP posted somewhere.

Not having a 9" hole below the water line is pretty motivating for someone like me transiting the central straits on a regular basis. Last I checked IO are expensive AF too, plus the whole maintenance thing.

Is this conversion due to a lack of deck space?

I just don't see the reasoning behind going to an very expensive outboard except the boat is too small.

I know that California is forcing inboards to have catalytic converters and such so maybe that is why a big push for outboards

It is just a huge expense for smaller power, less fuel economy and poorer stability

Those 3.0 engines go back 50 or more years, early 60's so there is probably a way to improve HP posted somewhere.

More space and better reliability. I have an older 3.0L (soon to go) and with maintenance it costs more then double/triple yearly in any outboard I have owned. Also buyers don't like them. A proper pod conversion done right will always be in demand. That is why so many are doing them instead of re powering with another.

More space and better reliability. I have an older 3.0L (soon to go) and with maintenance it costs more then double/triple yearly in any outboard I have owned. Also buyers don't like them. A proper pod conversion done right will always be in demand. That is why so many are doing them instead of re powering with another.
You could repower it with a 4.3.
Don't know about reliability, those max outboards were a horror.

The space thing is more important though.

I have had many 5.7 liter engines with well over 5000 hours on them and no problems.
Where most folks get robbed is by the IDEA everything is marine.
example, I went to buy a head gasket for a 170 merc (1/2 a 390cu in Ford) from Bridgeview years ago, they wanted to charge me $125 in a plastic Merc bag.
I bought the exact same gasket, Felpro, same part number, from Lordco for $17.00
I went to buy spark plugs for my 5.7 litre from M&P, 8 plugs for $60, same plugs at Canadian tire for $25
If I spend an extra $30 on frost plugs I can call my car engine a marine engine and sell it for more than double what it is worth.

It is buyer beware, 5.7 need no special oil, will run hot for a long time without breakage, can withstand a little hydraulicing, have literally millions of parts interchangeable and need no special tools.
Also the engine can be re & re in less than 3 hours.

Obviously I am a inboard guy, I guess because I know how to fix things.
Any outboards I have heard about all have huge issues and huge expenses because of all the unique parts and tools needed and the very few people that can work on them because each is different

I just keep a kicker on mine, just in case.

This discussion is as old as powered boats.

A top argument put forward by outboard devotees is "they are designed from the bottom up as marine power, not a car engine with a prop bolted on". But then you have entire lines of outboard over multiple model years with inherent corrosion problems.

Clearly the marketplace has room for both inboard and outboard power. Read, ask questions, decide what is best for you.

To each his own.

You know a lot of big boats use truck diesel engines. just a few modifications and they were not all specifically designed for boats, just saying.

To each his own.

You know a lot of big boats use truck diesel engines. just a few modifications and they were not all specifically designed for boats, just saying.
lol, name one truck diesel engine that is used in a boat. it is more like you have a diesel engine manufacture the can fit engines into a number of applications like generator or pumps or trucks or boats, but each will have different injection parameters and most likely compression ratio's among other things, to fit the individual application

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much!
I have the outboard model, the 185, and I would just take the money you're mentally spending (20k minimum), sell you current boat (15k if in good shape) and buy a boat that fits your requirements for 35k. You'll be way happier. I love my Campion, but there are way better hulls out there :)

My 115 pushes it well enough (20kt cruise, 28WOT)- she's stern heavy as it is so I wouldn't go any bigger.

Last edited:
I have the outboard model, the 185, and I would just take the money you're mentally spending (20k minimum), sell you current boat (15k if in good shape) and buy a boat that fits your requirements for 35k. You'll be way happier. I love my Campion, but there are way better hulls out there :)

My 115 pushes it well enough (20kt cruise, 28WOT)- she's stern heavy as it is so I wouldn't go any bigger.
If you’re going new power, $20k is not gonna get you there. I bet the new engine alone with taxes and rigging and installation will be more than $20k. Add pod ($4k?) and repairs / modifications to your boat ($5k?) you’re around $30k. I bet if you have shops do all the work, I’d budget $30- $35k for a nice professional job.

It would be way more cost efficient to sell yours and buy an outboard, or a bigger sterndrive boat. Stern drives provide cheap power and relatively simple maintenance.

Back