Comox Hallys!!

Did I say Hallys, I meant to say Mini Hallys.

Okay fine, they were soles!! But we did catch 5 of them, which was enough for dinner. Bit of a pain to fillet, however they tasted delicious.

More importantly, soles look just like HALIBUT and they are way easier to catch. Also, given that we were using light tackle, the soles fought hard, yup had the rods bent right over. We lost more that we caught, but man-o-man was it fun!!

We were using small pieces of herring that we jigged off Sandy Island just 2 weeks ago. The herring were salted and left in the fridge for a couple of days and then stored in large ziplock bags in the deep freeze.

And yes we did try for the halibut, but dogfish was all that came up on the line. So far, in 2 years of trying for hallys, locally speaking of course, we have caught zero. But with some excellent knowledge learned from this forum, we will continue to try to catch a halibut some more.

Thank you to various members such as Wolf, Sculpin, Fish Assassin, and other knowledgable folks who have shared info on this forum.

With a little time and effort those Sole are yummy. I like Breading them and fry em up in a Pan. YUM YUM

I couldn't agree with you more Duffer. I either add some spices to a bowl of flour or use shake n' bake and then pan fry the fillets in olive oil or butter. Presto, we inhale the sole. These tasty flatfish fill in nicely when its closed for cod, halibut, and most salmon species.

Not having to go far from shore makes fishing for them accessible to most folks with even a canoe, row boat, or most small boats. JUST PICK A GOOD DAY WHEN THE WEATHER IS DOWN, IF YOUR USING A SMALLER VESSEL...SAFETY FIRST, RIGHT!

Back