Comox Fishing for Cod

We got out last week fishing as it were for the day. There was no wind, but a couple of rain showers and it was nice to have the boat top that my gal and I made to keep us dry.

We explored around, did some jigging, and landed a nice snapper and a 4 lb copper rockcod (my favorite to eat). Released an under size ling, no hallies, but a grand day on the water none-the-less. As we have family visiting for a couple of weeks, I made up an on-line beer batter and pan fried the cod for our guests. Received many compliments as they don't have opportunity to enjoy fresh cod fillets back in Eastern Canada.:)

Edit: I'll post the link for the beer batter in the recipe section as it is a good one that is easy to make.

Yesterday, we managed to figure out how to get a family member out of her wheelchair and into our SS 16' Starcraft. Took her and 3 sisters out fishing for the day, yes fishing they all caught fish. The gal in the wheelchair landed a keeper ling and rock cod...1st time fishing in 16 years!! The ladies were great to have out for the day and very thankful as 3 of them are from eastern Canada.

Weather was flat calm, seals were only by the ramp, and CF-18s, S&R Chopters, and the Aurora aircraft put on a show right over our heads. Yup, sunburn faces were the order of the day. No salmon...never tried for them.

Great Day!!

They caught 4 rock cod, couple of soles, one snapper, and of course the ling!

Sounds like an awesome day all around! At least someone is getting to do some fishing.....come on holidays!

The commercial boat, Foremost, (I think that was the name of the boat) was selling halibut at the dock in Comox and had a large one on display that folks could guess the weight of it and win the fish? Our guests from back east checked it out and put an guess in on it. Couldn't believe the size of it.

Back