Commercial fishermen think DFO is unfair, Boo Hoo!

OldBlackDog

DFO crackdown in northern B.C. unfair, fishermen claim
prince-rupert-docks.jpg

Fishermen at the Canfisco docks in Prince Rupert are complaining about what they see as an over-enforcement of rules by Fisheries and Oceans Canada officers. The DFO says it is encountering more resistance than expected on the North Coast. (George Baker/CBC)
Commercial fishermen on B.C.'s North Coast are upset by what they're calling an unprecedented and unfair Fisheries and Oceans Canada crackdown.

Chris Peterson, a skipper who has been fishing commercially off the coast of Prince Rupert for 40 years, says the DFO has gone too far.

"I have never seen anything like this," Peterson said of the extra enforcement officers. "There were 17 of them on one boat last week — 17!"

Most of the fishermen point to July 27 as the beginning of the conflict. That's the day Hartley Bay Band Council Chief and fisherman Arnold Clifton was boarded by two DFO officers.

"I was in the washroom on the boat when all hell broke loose," Clifton recalled, describing rude treatment from the officers.

He was fined, and then boarded again two days later, this time by even more DFO officials.

"It got so bad. They were so agressive."

Since then, fishermen have been sharing complaints about the ramped-up enforcement.

"All we're trying to do is make a living, and we have a whole bunch of people in power who do not know what they're doing," Peterson said.

chris-peterson-fisherman-prince-rupert.jpg

Chris Peterson says in his 40 years of commercial fishing, he's never encountered the number of DFO officers he has this year and worries it will put him out of work. (George Baker/CBC)

Extra officers to protect salmon stock: DFO
The tension stems from a difference of opinion over how fishing rules should be enforced — and whether some of them should be enforced at all.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada confirms it has sent extra officers to the region to curtail bycatch violations — when fish that aren't in season are accidentally caught but not returned to the water.

"I was actually quite surprised by what our guys were finding, so we're ramping it up a little bit," said DFO director Tom Hlavac.

tom-hlavac-acting-regional-director-for-conservation-and-protection-pacific-region.jpg

Tom Hlavac, the DFO's acting regional director for conservation and protection, Pacific region. (Department of Fisheries and Oceans)

At sea, fishermen are required to use a small net to remove bycatch from the larger nets, so they can be returned alive and unharmed. Hlavac says that isn't always happening, with some fish being returned injured, and others not being returned at all.

Hlavac believes many fishermen simply don't understand the rules, which is why extra officers have been sent north.

"It's probably a little bit of an education for some of the fishermen," he said.

DFO out of touch, fishermen
Fisherman Chris Cook said he's being forced to throw away his livelihood.

"I think the value would be about $40,000 to $50,000 dollars worth of fish. That's a big financial hit," he said of the fish he's been told to throw overboard.

Cook says it's gotten to the point where he is being told to throw away more fish than he catches.

chris-cook-fisherman-prince-rupert.jpg

Chris Cook estimates he's been forced to throw away $50,000 worth of fish by DFO officers this year. (George Baker/CBC)

"They said, 'OK, we're gonna throw coho over.' We started throwing coho over just so we could fish. Then we started throwing steelhead over. Then spring salmon. Then chum salmon. You know, you could get a set of about 30 or 40 fish, throw everything over and maybe end up with one or two."

The fishermen also complain they are being told to throw away fish that are already dead, a move they say hurts them while doing nothing to help preserve populations.

Additionally, Peterson thinks DFO regulations are out of touch with the number of fish that are actually in the ocean.

"It does not make any sense ... but, nope, DFO knows better. They're screwing us."

Hlavac, though, says managing fish populations is a complicated process that requires a holistic understanding of migration patterns and fish populations throughout the province.

"Even though it appears like a lot [in the ocean], there's not that many in the rivers where fish migrate," he said.

With files from George Baker.

To hear the full story, listen to the audio labelled DFO crackdown in northern B.C. unfair, say fishermen.

For more stories from northern British Columbia, follow CBC Daybreak North on Facebook and Twitter, or subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.

No kidding, boo hoo. How heartless to be told you actually have to return bycatch you aren't permitted to keep to the ocean. These guys should be given one warning, then have their licences yanked if they're caught in non compliance again.

If they got rid of nets altogether they wouldn't have to throw back so many non-target dead fish!!
No Kidding! The market will pay for troll caught fish - as they do in Alaska. I remember reading an article that talks about the Alaskan troll caught fishery and the marketing that was done to promote it. The price of salmon went way up which it should. I don't understand why people feel salmon should be cheap.
That fisherman Cook complaining about having to throw back steelhead and coho is shocking.

Whining in full force. If you are in compliance why so defensive? I dont get the argument. Don't break rules and DFO will leave you alone.

Maybe netting isn't the answer then, and move to a troll fleet.

Having to throw dead fish over board is Very wasteful. They have every right to be upset.

Just shaking my head! whacking everything they can get their hands/nets on, wow, that is sustainable! If you can't avoid major bycatch then smarten up, move away or try different methods. Its like saying, sorry I can only catch springs with TNT so I want to keep blowing up the ocean. What a bunch of losers! Right on, DFO for coming down on them hard. This attitude and behaviour spits in the face of thousands of volunteers who are trying to save and bring back many endangered salmon and steelhead runs. Shame on these fishers!

You'd think the fishery would be closed if 95% of the catch was non targeted.

DFO definitely needs to manage better. The enforcement is actually nice to see but it's the opening that's crazy if those numbers are true! Scary to think of all the waste potential and damage to non targeted fish.

I also can't stand the entitlement people have, especially some of the long time commercial fishermen. Nice to know that this 40 year veteran basically expects to sell all or most of his catch, even the non targeted. Complaining that it's unfair that there's enforcement blocking him from doing so is enraging. I realize he is trying to make money and may be in a difficult spot, but wow this article doesn't make him look very good at least in my opinion.

I comercial fished from when i was 17-34 on a freezer troller. The problems back then were the siengers would go over quota, the gillnetters would complain so their quota would go up. To makeup for the overquota's the troll fleets would be cut down. Never did see how you could selectivly fish with a net without a bunch of deadloss. We had recovery tanks on board to release non targeted fish. The price diferences back then were huge, net caught pinks would get .15-.30$ a pound while troll caught dressed, frozen, glazed would get .90$ and up depending on tbe quality of your product, (heads on, bodys straight, no broken fins/tails). Was alot more work but worth it and we made it fun and competitive on deck among the crew. Once a week we would have a race dressing fish to see who cuold do the most in one minute, without cutting into the meat, headon, my best was 6. I think troll caught is the only way to go, but there's no way dfo will ever kybosh the seigns and gillnets.

Letting them keep dead fish is a bad idea - they will just let them die; look at their total disregard for the rules.

FYI it was by catch that wiped-out the Barkley Sound Chinook before the Robertson creek hatchery.

Boo hoo indeed! Certainly there is always room for improvement/efficiency with inspections / compliance but the fact that the commercial fleet is complaining about not being able to break the law is laughable. Having to comply with the rules, having to release bycatch, etc?? Must be tough ;) Oh wait, that what all of us rec fishermen do all the time. I am very happy to see some enforcement out there as I think the previous federal gov't cut back so much on front line enforcement that the commercial (and probably rec and FN) sector got used to never getting checked and most certainly got used to stretching/breaking the rules. Without decent enforcement some % of people are going to break the rules.

As others have mentioned, keeping dead fish is not the solution as it has and will, unsurprisingly, lead to a lot more dead fish showing up on the deck. Fishing (commerical & FN specifically) needs to be more selective in order for it to be sustainable. Dropping a seine or gill net in the water and expecting to keep and sell anything that comes up is NOT a sustainable solution to the many issues we are having with different populations of pacific salmon in BC. Salmon are not an infinite resource and we must treat them a lot better if we hope to sustain populations for the future. It's attitudes like the one in the article that are putting our wild salmon in peril, IMO.

Boo hoo indeed! Certainly there is always room for improvement/efficiency with inspections / compliance but the fact that the commercial fleet is complaining about not being able to break the law is laughable. Having to comply with the rules, having to release bycatch, etc?? Must be tough ;) Oh wait, that what all of us rec fishermen do all the time. I am very happy to see some enforcement out there as I think the previous federal gov't cut back so much on front line enforcement that the commercial (and probably rec and FN) sector got used to never getting checked and most certainly got used to stretching/breaking the rules. Without decent enforcement some % of people are going to break the rules.

As others have mentioned, keeping dead fish is not the solution as it has and will, unsurprisingly, lead to a lot more dead fish showing up on the deck. Fishing (commerical & FN specifically) needs to be more selective in order for it to be sustainable. Dropping a seine or gill net in the water and expecting to keep and sell anything that comes up is NOT a sustainable solution to the many issues we are having with different populations of pacific salmon in BC. Salmon are not an infinite resource and we must treat them a lot better if we hope to sustain populations for the future. It's attitudes like the one in the article that are putting our wild salmon in peril, IMO.

X2 and Amen to that. I nominate this for the best post of the month award. You nailed it with this one.

In the mean time ....... Hundreds and hundreds, or thousands and thousands of dumped Sockeye by FN that didn't sell that particular day, or nets left unchecked, or rivers netted side to side by FN gets nothing, NO response from DFO.

The entire fishery is in Demise because of Government BS, no politician with any guts to stand up to the FN, mismanagement by DFO, closing of hatcheries, lack of funding and ....... An increase of fish farms ....... And many on here are pissed at the fishermen for complaining. They have and raise a good point. Government would like nothing better then to see our fishery collapse, same as the East Coast Cod.

How pathetic of DFO and the Government officials running the show.

Grow some balls and do something. Look at Alaska, Washington, Oregon examples of how to manage a fishery and quit giving the FN so much. Stop sea based fish farms.

I stand with the Fishermen on this one.

HT

In the mean time ....... Hundreds and hundreds, or thousands and thousands of dumped Sockeye by FN that didn't sell that particular day, or nets left unchecked, or rivers netted side to side by FN gets nothing, NO response from DFO.

The entire fishery is in Demise because of Government BS, no politician with any guts to stand up to the FN, mismanagement by DFO, closing of hatcheries, lack of funding and ....... An increase of fish farms ....... And many on here are pissed at the fishermen for complaining. They have and raise a good point. Government would like nothing better then to see our fishery collapse, same as the East Coast Cod.

How pathetic of DFO and the Government officials running the show.

Grow some balls and do something. Look at Alaska, Washington, Oregon examples of how to manage a fishery and quit giving the FN so much. Stop sea based fish farms.

I stand with the Fishermen on this one.

HT
Looks like DFO and our Libs are going to act on the Cohen commission so that is a good first step.

Sadly they will just pick the low hanging fruit like always. Bring in a few more restrictions on sport fishery while ignoring the industrial harvest, First Nations commercial netting etc.

I'd like to think you are right, that the new government is going to take action, but it never has in the past! Lots of talk and little action and what little action they take is more about appearing to do something rather than actually tackling the hard decisions.

I hope I'm wrong but talk is cheap!

Sadly they will just pick the low hanging fruit like always. Bring in a few more restrictions on sport fishery while ignoring the industrial harvest, First Nations commercial netting etc.

I'd like to think you are right, that the new government is going to take action, but it never has in the past! Lots of talk and little action and what little action they take is more about appearing to do something rather than actually tackling the hard decisions.

I hope I'm wrong but talk is cheap!

I hope you are wrong, but I haven't seen much from the new govt to give me confidence in substantive change. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, and hope for the best in the meantime.

DFO should be ashamed that they allow dumping of marketable fit for human consumption fish. DFO is creating the waste epidemic in all sectors.
They are suypposed to use a small net to release the bycatch alive. If they can't do it they should just let the troll fleet catch targeted fish and leave the nets at the dock.

DFO should be ashamed that they allow dumping of marketable fit for human consumption fish. DFO is creating the waste epidemic in all sectors.
By catch is by catch, you allow them to keep it they will purposely let them die just so they can keep them! Back in the water they feed the Eco system not greed

I thought that's what the transferable quota was for? To cover off some of the by catch. Certain commercial fishers could carry (or are made to carry) a small quota of other species so that the by catch could go to market. I read somewhere that we have this in place and it is a model that the Alaskan's need to look at. I also read that some local Alaskan groups have been pushing for this so the halibut by catch up there from the pollock fleet makes more sense.

A long and complicated discussion. Short version: ITQs have their risks that Jim Pattison will end-up owning the show. Catch shares - a slightly different version. The groundfish fishery has gone through some major changes in the past few years - to the point where - Alaska is looking at what BC did in order to manage by-catch...

Back