Commander 26 Re Build

It looked like you had cut the transom right through. Are you just removing the inside and all wood leaving the outside intact? That would be the normal way to do it. I agree, if the transom is rotten then that wood has to come out.

It's a shame that some boat owners don't understand that if you drill a hole, no matter how small, you have to make the effort to ensure that water can never get through. I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much rot, she'll be new when you're done though.
Yes, just the wood is coming out, outside staying in tact.
Honestly, I’m so excited with this project and kind of glad it went this way. I can see the finish product in my head and it’s better than anything I imagined. The transom/ stringers were alway on the back of my mind and now that’s put to rest. I feel more comfortable with the money putting into it knowing the foundation is mint. Everyday I walk in my shop, pause and stare the commander and say WOW a few times.
The dropped deck, notched transom LoL, extending v berth, rear steering station, my electronics, it would all be shame to put the boat together like it is. This is my process to get my dream boat and that’s exactly what I’m getting. Now I’m working with a marine engineer for my electrical,I got a fibreglass guy that I’m never gonna let go, a forum of heavy professional opinions, and I learned to wait for Ron to cut. I think I surrounded myself with a pretty good group of guys and have no doubt this boat will be one of the nicest commanders out there.

It will get even better, can’t be all rainbows and unicorns…. Or everyone would hate me LoL.
Imagine if my next pod is ******
:)

Slow and steady wins the race. It always takes longer than you think. I laugh when people want me to quote custom work. 25 years and still the same story

Yes, just the wood is coming out, outside staying in tact.
Honestly, I’m so excited with this project and kind of glad it went this way. I can see the finish product in my head and it’s better than anything I imagined. The transom/ stringers were alway on the back of my mind and now that’s put to rest. I feel more comfortable with the money putting into it knowing the foundation is mint. Everyday I walk in my shop, pause and stare the commander and say WOW a few times.
The dropped deck, notched transom LoL, extending v berth, rear steering station, my electronics, it would all be shame to put the boat together like it is. This is my process to get my dream boat and that’s exactly what I’m getting. Now I’m working with a marine engineer for my electrical,I got a fibreglass guy that I’m never gonna let go, a forum of heavy professional opinions, and I learned to wait for Ron to cut. I think I surrounded myself with a pretty good group of guys and have no doubt this boat will be one of the nicest commanders out there.
Sounds great. I got a little excited there, thought you might have done some extreme cutting. Even if she's not ready you should stop by the Commander rendezvous this summer, you won't need to bring your own beverages.

Sounds great. I got a little excited there, thought you might have done some extreme cutting. Even if she's not ready you should stop by the Commander rendezvous this summer, you won't need to bring your own beverages.
@Sttr yeah he’s right, I don’t think you can finish it by summer either ;)

I been thinking about it and would love to make it, we will see, @Rain City is holding me to May, even though I meant end of May :)
I’m at the point that I can’t rush anyone I’m working with or they won’t work with me.
But everything is rollin, next couple weeks we will go hard and steady

I been thinking about it and would love to make it, we will see, @Rain City is holding me to May, even though I meant end of May :)
I’m at the point that I can’t rush anyone I’m working with or they won’t work with me.
But everything is rollin, next couple weeks we will go hard and steady
I keep trying to go but the boat's always broken down.

Here’s where we left off today, I thought I would get a head start on the weekend but no luck,
Cut out the v berth base today, found the water was concentrated to one area , most likely dripping from the deck,
Started cutting the transom… I guys know the rest70B7F3E8-43A8-4ACC-BFB3-9C1C9CF0ED37.jpeg
0106BFB1-05B0-46E8-BADC-D25E6B44562C.jpeg

And I found some areas where the deck is not connected to the hull, haha, above the transom.
Ron thinks it’s cause they had no access, 5F796F04-ECC7-4429-96B0-84B5F7A32FC9.jpeg4DFE1D81-A2D5-478F-A298-C115A42CBA46.jpegA2825A93-F360-4F8A-A70C-670C51829161.jpegB7811715-BB7F-42B5-A425-DD668C187FAB.jpeg

:(
I have to start another thread on what to turn unwanted pods into
I’m thinking jacuzzi for the dog?
Great thread. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Was that pod built by a professional fabricator/welder shop or by a friend who told you they can fabricate and weld? If it was done by a shop I hope you are taking it back to them and getting a full refund.

Fished a 24 NR jet for years in both fresh and salt. Off the WCVI as well. No, it's not ideal that's for sure and they slap good on the waves but they are doable in the salt if you pick your weather windows. Lot's of areas up island change very quickly with wind and weather so just be weary and stay close enough to areas you can run into for shelter if sudden weather changes.

Do you have a stomp grate on the jet boat? Seaweed and **** floating in the water that can get sucked into the jet is what can bring you to a stand still in an instant. Even with a stomp grate that seaweed still gets in too. Tidelines are nasty on jets so be conscious of that stuff too.

Great thread. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Was that pod built by a professional fabricator/welder shop or by a friend who told you they can fabricate and weld? If it was done by a shop I hope you are taking it back to them and getting a full refund.
My pleasure

professional fabricator/welder/licensed company/friend

First time was ok , ship happens
Second time was a kick in the nuts

At one point you have to choose what’s worth more… quality work or trying to get a quick buck…

That said , it’s one decision which path to choose, I get it , it’s hard to make money, Gotta pay bills, monthly , add covid , add no work force….

Back