Circle Hooks

I will buy some and report back with results :D Spoons around Everett Washington do very well cant wait to try some

Hi Everyone!

I am glad that there is some interest in this! I should have a couple of spoons done by the end of the week to try out. One of the local charter guys is interested in testing a few. I have come up with a fairly high quality spoon with a decent hook on it and a stainless steel heavy duty split ring. My first size will be the 3.5 inch spoon with #4/0 or 5/0 Siwash hook on it. I am still in the final stages of figuring out the best method for painting these things. It will all be done by hand or airbrush so production will certainly be slow at first. If this generates a large amount of interest I may have to employ my entire family to crank these things out. I have yet to come up with a name for this new product but when I do I will announce it on the forum with some pictures of the spoons and where I may be selling them. Keep the input coming as I am making a product for local fishermen by local fishermen.

I would be happy to get a few of these out to some guides to see what they think. I will try to organize something after I test them this week. Jason at Pacific is going to help me out with getting the action right on the spoons. I am looking very forward to a finished, quality, fish catching product!!!

Hi Everyone!

I am glad that there is some interest in this! I should have a couple of spoons done by the end of the week to try out. One of the local charter guys is interested in testing a few. I have come up with a fairly high quality spoon with a decent hook on it and a stainless steel heavy duty split ring. My first size will be the 3.5 inch spoon with #4/0 or 5/0 Siwash hook on it. I am still in the final stages of figuring out the best method for painting these things. It will all be done by hand or airbrush so production will certainly be slow at first. If this generates a large amount of interest I may have to employ my entire family to crank these things out. I have yet to come up with a name for this new product but when I do I will announce it on the forum with some pictures of the spoons and where I may be selling them. Keep the input coming as I am making a product for local fishermen by local fishermen.

I would be happy to get a few of these out to some guides to see what they think. I will try to organize something after I test them this week. Jason at Pacific is going to help me out with getting the action right on the spoons. I am looking very forward to a finished, quality, fish catching product!!!

Before they were known as just "Circle Hooks", these hooks were pioneered in the hook and line tuna fishery and called "Tuna Circle Hooks". They are being used by fisheries managers around the world to reduce hook mortality.

Thats pretty ineresting. Intuitively, they sure don't look like they they have much of a chance of hooking, but it sounds like a number of people have had success. I'm going to give them a try, maybe as a stinger at first to see how they do.

Cheers Scoopy,

I would be pleased to test fish a few of your spoons and provide you feedback. If I might be so bold as to suggest that you have a 'wealth' of knowledge at your fingertips through this forum. BC has some of the most professional and knowledgeable fisherman to be found anywhere. As I travel BC I am constantly amazed at the skill/professionalism that I encouter time after time after time.

If you were to contact a few guides/fisherman around the island/coast, I am sure they would help you test your product and provide important evaluation/feedback for product improvement.

Fishing Guide
BC Outdoors Pro Saff

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

I would agree that all the people that I have encountered on this site have been informative, helpful and knowledgeable. I must admit that my fishing skills have improved tenfold after only a short time on this site, asking questions and posting topics. Once I formally introduce this product I will somehow make arrangements to get some testers out there. As far as the spoon patterns go most of them will be a lot like the ones we use now, I just use better hardware. I am going to try to keep the popular names the same if I can (Copcar, armytruck, wonderbread,etc) as long as its not copyright infringement. I have been testing out some paints today and it is slowly but surely coming along.

Please keep the input coming!

Matt

Hi Doc,

I got your post, I am going out today to start testing a few blank spoons I want to make sure the action is good. Looks like a nice day in Van!

I'm a circle hook fan. I experimented with them around Ucluelet last year on Coyote spoons and hoochy rigs. We lost very few fish and seemed to hook up most of the time. The trick seems to be patience when grabbing the rod. You need to let the fish hook himself. If you grab the rod and haul on it then you're going to pull the hook out of his mouth before it can hooks up.

I've been using tandom 4/0 circle hooks in my hoochies for the last week and had very good results so far with few missed hits and no lost fish.So far so good.

I just bought some of the suggested tiger prawn hootchies, like I don't have enough stuff already. ;)

Hey, I always use two hooks on hootchies, and I was wondering which is the preferred way to tie the hooks: both hooks pointing the same way, or one up and one down in opposite directions?

I think these hooks can work well if you can resist the urge to set the hook by yarding the rod at first sign of a fish. Let's hear from some of you with experience.

You are absolutely right about letting the fish hook themselves. If you're trolling, just make sure you have the release clips tight and lots of bend in the rod (reel right down). The tension on the line from the downrigger is enough to set the hook.

Back