Circle Hooks

S

scoopy

Hi everyone!!! I am currently in the process of making my own salmon spoons, hopefully to sell. I am looking at putting circle hooks on them and I was wondering what you all thought of this. Is it legal? Do they hold fish better? I would like to make good quality hand painted salmon spoons that don't cost so 7.99 each. I will be customizing the patterns on them to what works in certain areas. I already have all of the Patterns chosen for the Vancouver local water, but I still am not 100% sure I can make this work. Ant input is much appreciated!

Howdy Scoopy. Circle hooks work well for ground fish such as halibut. Salmon are generally trolled for, so Iam pretty sure a spoon with a circle hook would not work. Far better to use a good quality swash single hook. Good luck with your new product. FC

Howdy Scoopy. Circle hooks work well for ground fish such as halibut. Salmon are generally trolled for, so Iam pretty sure a spoon with a circle hook would not work. Far better to use a good quality swash single hook. Good luck with your new product. FC

It is my opinion that circle hooks are great barbless please. You dont loose the fish as easy it is super easy to remove the circle hook on a fish that is going to be released. That is all I use I switch them out on my Rhy Davis strip and anchovie teasers, use them when cut pluging, on Coyote Spoons and hoochies.

It is my opinion that circle hooks are great barbless please. You dont loose the fish as easy it is super easy to remove the circle hook on a fish that is going to be released. That is all I use I switch them out on my Rhy Davis strip and anchovie teasers, use them when cut pluging, on Coyote Spoons and hoochies.

i would definately not go with circle hooks. the idea with them is that the hook is set very slowly so the hook wraps onto the fishes lip. hard to explain in words. with salmon hitting a spoon off a downrigger i bet you'd miss ALOT of your hits - its just not what they are designed for.

are you sure you didn't mean to say octopus hooks? they have a little bit of curl but not nearly as much as circle hooks - i've put octopus gammy's on spoons lots and it works fine - but i think most people would prefer a siwash.

i would definately not go with circle hooks. the idea with them is that the hook is set very slowly so the hook wraps onto the fishes lip. hard to explain in words. with salmon hitting a spoon off a downrigger i bet you'd miss ALOT of your hits - its just not what they are designed for.

are you sure you didn't mean to say octopus hooks? they have a little bit of curl but not nearly as much as circle hooks - i've put octopus gammy's on spoons lots and it works fine - but i think most people would prefer a siwash.

I have found circle hooks work very well for bottom fish where they take the bait and swim away. In 90% of the time it has been my experience that when they swim away the hook lodges in the corner of their mouth and few are lost at the boat. I don't know how well this would work if you were trolling at say 2 to 4 knots with a spoon.... SS

I have found circle hooks work very well for bottom fish where they take the bait and swim away. In 90% of the time it has been my experience that when they swim away the hook lodges in the corner of their mouth and few are lost at the boat. I don't know how well this would work if you were trolling at say 2 to 4 knots with a spoon.... SS

I note some commentary from non circle hook users. I have been using 5 / 0 Eagle Claw Circle Seas for 8 years at Gold River, for all types of trolling and jigging. I have switched over all my Rapala, Cotton Cordell, and Canadian Wiggler plugs, as well as Spinner Rigs, for Walleye in Alberta.

Circle hooks can be trolled to 4 MPH and hook all the fish that hit. The big difference is that when you fish a barbless circle hook, and a 30 pound spring jumps 4 times 20 yards from the boat, he still ends up in tne net.

I have been accused of fishing "barbed hooks", and at Critter Cove have in fact gone over and confronted the guys who have been yelling profanities at us, and ended up giving them Circle Hooks for their Anchovie Specials, as well as their hootchies.

Best one to date at Burdwood bay was a 37 pound spring, which was very airborne a number of times. Circle hooks work, don't harm the gills, and don't get thrown.

I think everyone should try it before they comment.

Drewski Canuck

I note some commentary from non circle hook users. I have been using 5 / 0 Eagle Claw Circle Seas for 8 years at Gold River, for all types of trolling and jigging. I have switched over all my Rapala, Cotton Cordell, and Canadian Wiggler plugs, as well as Spinner Rigs, for Walleye in Alberta.

Circle hooks can be trolled to 4 MPH and hook all the fish that hit. The big difference is that when you fish a barbless circle hook, and a 30 pound spring jumps 4 times 20 yards from the boat, he still ends up in tne net.

I have been accused of fishing "barbed hooks", and at Critter Cove have in fact gone over and confronted the guys who have been yelling profanities at us, and ended up giving them Circle Hooks for their Anchovie Specials, as well as their hootchies.

Best one to date at Burdwood bay was a 37 pound spring, which was very airborne a number of times. Circle hooks work, don't harm the gills, and don't get thrown.

I think everyone should try it before they comment.

Drewski Canuck

Wow Drew, I never would have believed it. I was thinking how silly the idea was until I read your post. I may have to try it. The mechanics of it doesnt make sense but the proofs in the tub!

Wow Drew, I never would have believed it. I was thinking how silly the idea was until I read your post. I may have to try it. The mechanics of it doesnt make sense but the proofs in the tub!

Been using 4/0 and 5/0 Gama circles on my hoochies for the last two seasons on the WCVI. I have noticed that I don't get as many gill caught fish as the normal tandem hook-ups. I usually switch back and forth between a single 6/0 siwash and the tandem 4/0 + 5/0 gama circle, depends on the amount of coho around. Lots of coho - circle hooks are used. Have never tried them on a spoon though. Would be interesting to find out the difference between the two hooks.

Been using 4/0 and 5/0 Gama circles on my hoochies for the last two seasons on the WCVI. I have noticed that I don't get as many gill caught fish as the normal tandem hook-ups. I usually switch back and forth between a single 6/0 siwash and the tandem 4/0 + 5/0 gama circle, depends on the amount of coho around. Lots of coho - circle hooks are used. Have never tried them on a spoon though. Would be interesting to find out the difference between the two hooks.

I'd say great idea if you intended on releasing fish or had to deal with a slot limit. Buy why on earth would you use them when fishing a hatchery run like whats found around gold river and everybody bonks everything in sight? Maybe you're just catch and releasing?

And why would someone accuse you of using barbed hooks, cause you didn't lose your fish?

If I'm out fishing salmon I'm usually out to kill something and a treble with a single stinger hook seems to be the ticket for me. I can't remember the last time a salmon actually spit out a hook, for me its a non-issue.

I'd say great idea if you intended on releasing fish or had to deal with a slot limit. Buy why on earth would you use them when fishing a hatchery run like whats found around gold river and everybody bonks everything in sight? Maybe you're just catch and releasing?

And why would someone accuse you of using barbed hooks, cause you didn't lose your fish?

If I'm out fishing salmon I'm usually out to kill something and a treble with a single stinger hook seems to be the ticket for me. I can't remember the last time a salmon actually spit out a hook, for me its a non-issue.

Back