Chum forecast?

E

Eagle Eyes

so in a few weeks its coming up to that exciting time--- chum fishing at campbell river...

so im just curious as to what the run size is forecasted to be this year...

any new killer setups to try? (i always love to experiment with new lures and tactics)

when do you think they'll first arrive in good #'s?

thanx.

Will be running there Thurday to Saturday this week, EE.
Will let you know what happens.
Still lots of pinks and some Springs left up there and the late summer Chum are in for sure....Lots of Sockeye right now holding all over the place I've heard...
Got some new gear from the Mfg'rs that I will be giving a test to.

boc

thanx blue, hey did u have any luck on the chummies with the baitbusters last year?

was thinkin about givin those a shot this year but im wondering about speed/colour (use a flasher?)

looked up the forecast on the dfo site and things sound like they should be quite good as far as #'s of fish go.

As Blueorca mentions, there are still lots of pinks and socks at Greensea, Browns and Deepwater. Mixed in are springs, coho and chums. On Sat landed 2 springs, 22 lb largest, 3 socks, lots of pinks at Browns. My buddy landed his first chum of the year at Greensea. Monday had 1 spring and lots of pinks at Browns. Still seeing tons of bait so expect the fish to stick around as long as the bait and weather are stable. I am hearing chum run should be good. Often use cutplugs so can fight em without the flasher.

Hey & Hi BlueOrca,
Was nice to see ya on the Pond on the weekend!
When is that chum derby over that way? Kinda toying with the idea of trailoring the Sea Ray over...
Cheers,
Nog

I do believe it is October 15th and 16th.
Will have to get you out there sooner.

boc

so blue howd the fishin go?

any of the chummies showin yet?

There today....lots of pinks still holding..
Got a beaut of a 10 pound Coho, and a nice spring...but no Chums ..
Must have released 20 pinks. They bite everything that we put down, even at 140 feet....
Going further up to Greensea tomorrow.
I have heard that some are being caught but we're still not seeing anything in numbers yet.
Let you know when I see em.....

boc

Today the commercial trawlers were out in full force.
Counter 23 in Greensea alone.
But....landed 4 Sockeye, 2 - 12 pound Chum, 1 - 22 pound Spring, and about 12 or so Pinks...
Not a bad day and very nice on the water to boot...
So the chums are just nosing in....

boc

What's your favorite Chum lure/flasher combo? I've not had much luck fishing for them... except for hooking one once with a Buzz Bomb.

Check in with either Peters Sports (Courtenay) or Tyee Marine (Campbell River). They can get you geared up.

boc

pablo - most typical setup is purple haze or purple/silver flasher w/j300 or mb185 commercial hootchie - gotta troll slow and if they are in the area and you aren't hitting anything, change your depth. I found last year it would be dead at 50, but you couldn't keep them off at 80 kind of thing (and vice versa)...good fish finder and you would be fine. Also follow the boats - the chum would hang out at either Deepwater or Plumper depending on the tide - not often both (at least it seemed that way last year)....don't ask me which was which as I forgot already!

Thanks for the info....

I'd be fishing on the Sunshine Coast for them and I've heard they run through here pretty thick sometimes.

Back