Chum fishing

very slow, lot's of flasher's
like sockeye fishing .

p.s.
most chum catches in the south island waters are incidental...
there is a good fishery for chum north of Campbell river

Drive really slow and/or use LOOOONNNGGG leaders. Lots of flashers helps lots, this year the bubble gum (pink/blue) as well the black/pink as well just plain pink squirts seem to be working great. Oh they don't bite a whole lot in low pressure systems, especially if it happens to be raining.

I hated those big black hooks tons of missed hookups but maybe i couldnt sharpen them well enough. I wouldnt worry to much about them not biting in rain though last year during the derby it poured and 30+ hookups a day.Less than two weeks now:D

Yes but some better than others. It takes a pretty dirty hookset to sink some of those big black hooks in so i might try mixing it up this year and seeing if the black hooks really are better.

Do you find those hooks keeping a good sharp point after a days' use or not?
Never used them so I don't know.
Thanks.

Might try for some chum this weekend on the Sunshine Coast... if the weather cooperates (wind wise).

I'll post a follow-up if I do give it a shot. I just have a tin can... so the wind is the primary concern.

So does anyone target Chums on SVI? If so, what sucesses have you had and would the gear be the same as mentioned earlier in this thread? Pinks and Purples, dragged slow ith lots of flashers. I'm thinking mostly the Sooke area.

Thanks,
George

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

quote:Originally posted by fishhawk8

So does anyone target Chums on SVI? If so, what sucesses have you had and would the gear be the same as mentioned earlier in this thread? Pinks and Purples, dragged slow ith lots of flashers. I'm thinking mostly the Sooke area.

Thanks,
George

I'm a part-time fly fisherman as well ... chum are one of the prized salmon to catch on the fly rod. They fight like a freight train and are super fun. You'd get them in the rivers or estuaries. Pretty simple setup -- pink yarn or bunny fur tied to a hook with a couple of split-shot weights to walk your fly along the bottom. Short length of 40lb mono tied to a fast sinking fly line with lots of backing.

I'm not sure what the regs are along the Sooke river but the same setup as above can also be used on a spin-cast rod. They are non-selective feeders when in the rivers -- and are defending their territory more than they are looking for food so a fancy presentation doesn't matter much.

ya for the sooke i wouldnt recomend putting splitshot on your line and definetly dont use a spinning rod up from the bridge. and for leader i only run 15 at te most usually.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

BWonder,

I'm curious when do you start fishing the sooke river for chum (guessing it's soon)... and where? I've never tried it...

Also, what are the regs?

Thanks,

Trowser

quote:Originally posted by Trowser
I'm curious when do you start fishing the sooke river for chum (guessing it's soon)... and where? I've never tried it...
Also, what are the regs?

Above the bridge, no retention, fly only.

Below the bridge, can keep 4 salmon in total, of which 1 can be wild coho. No chinook retention.

Lots of people above and below the bridge these days.

I have to admit to mixed feelings about hooking them just for a fight, right before they are about to spawn...but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done it and had a lot of fun doing it.

On a different note...if you have access to a decent wetsuit, get a mask and snorkel and try floating the river up in the potholes area...pretty amazing to come over a rise and have a bunch of 20 pound plus salmon 2 feet from your mask. :D

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

Thanks for the replies guys, but I was more interested in fishing out of a boat,off the river mouth in the basin or just outside front. Pinks and Purples, dragged slow with lots of flashers?

CHUMFEST2007.jpg
[/img]

Tried a little bit off the beach yesterday up on the Sunshine Coast. There were some cutthroat and baitfish around, but no Chum or Coho were evident. Didn't have the time to go out in the boat. Too many chores at the cabin. Mice decided to take up residence... [}:)]

wow, that picture just never gets old.
from the can of lucky in fishing buddy's hand to the 'chum dumpster' sprawled on the boat behind... its all there. this is priceless.

Back