Chinook colour

But, haven't you guys noticed a stronger smell with the whites, I have caught both in both salt and fresh and did notice the smell quite as bad in the salt.

Smell in the fresh or smell in the salt, they smell like fish. Sure some smell a little more than others. Go grab a couple of feeders, even if they are red or white, they SMELL LIKE FISH!!! Leave the red and white to the boy's.-dirty

All chinook salmon smell.... Like wet steel. If you use your nose you can identify a chinook as soon as it's in the net. If you want the best taste you had better pay attention to the way you dress it out. Never allow slime from the outside of the fish to touch parts you will eat! Enjoy it fresh, without freezing if possible.
Best salmon to eat..sockeye, then a close second is coho, chinook is third in my opinion...with a deffinate preferance for reds!

Charter fishing Prince Rupert,
www.silversuncharters.com

I agree, socks, coho and then chinook. Haven't tried chum and hate pink. Did not like the taste of steelhead thouhg, but only had it once, so not really a fair assessment.

i caught and BBQ'd my first white this summer. when i first cut it open i was very disappointed at the color but my tastebuds were thrilled at the flavor of the more fatty flesh...i guess you could sprinkle some red coloring on it to make your eyes feel better

quote:Well Rob if you have never caught one how can you have an opinion on the subject once you have tried a few of them maybe then you can say something.

i myself have not caught one, but i have had them in the past, and my old man used to catch em lots. I dislike how commercial guys get paid a lot less for a white fish then they just put red dye on it and sell it as a red.

wolf you got any ways of smoking em so you dont get the giant globs of fat all over the place?

When you smoke fish it should be hung, not laid out on racks, if you want the juices to drain away. Make cross-hatch cuts on the flesh of the fillet going all the way through to the skin, but not cutting through the hide. This will provide channels to allow the fats to run away.

Todd Rickard,
www.silversuncharters.com

Okay, let's see if I get bashed for this one..... I always freeze my Chinook/Coho even if I'm going to eat them them the following day as I HATE bones and I find it's easier to tweezer out the rib bones after the fish has been frozen. On anything under a 10 lb Chinook I have no method for getting out the bones without them snapping as they are so soft until after you freeze them.

Alternative techniques for other bone haters out there???

PS we save the salmon cleaning scraps as prawn bait, then save our prawn heads for crab bait - we beleive in recycling :D

16 keepers in four hours with four traps off Savary last week says they do :) And yes I had three other people in the boat with me... really...

Frozen works just as well as fresh but you need to use a fine/medium mesh plastic bait bag as opposed to a bait cup. I have my bait cups permanelty rigged for when I'm using chopped salmon/tuna and just clip in an extra bag suspended from the top mesh when I'm using prawn heads.

I am w slay, you can smell a spring before it hits the deck. I also have caught and ate many a white Spring and do not get the rave's (fad) it is currently getting with the foodies. I would trade a 30# white spring for a decent bright Alberni Sock any day. :)

The other end of Savary is closer to me so I tend to work holes around the side of first point just north of the pier. Any trap I set over 120 feet catches nothing. Seems 90-110 was hot last week but I go shallower in the summer usually 60-80.

No commercial guys at all this year that I've seen but last year they were all over that north point and round that end of Cortes.

Good luck.

Sorry for the side topic Merrittboy

Back