Chinook colour

Merrittboy

White versus red spring? In the salt how can you tell which is which without cutting. Have heard lots of different things about these and the quality of meat etc. Are there marble?

Look in the gills near the bottom, you can see there. Some prefer the white's for smoking as they are thought to have a higher oil content. Personally I think that salmon should be PINK and don't really eat whites. Whites seem to be a stronger battle (For me anyway) and are not seen very often in the winter.. You get the odd marble salmon with both white and red as a bonus.

Look in the gills near the bottom, you can see there. Some prefer the white's for smoking as they are thought to have a higher oil content. Personally I think that salmon should be PINK and don't really eat whites. Whites seem to be a stronger battle (For me anyway) and are not seen very often in the winter.. You get the odd marble salmon with both white and red as a bonus.

All of these fish are great eating. Whites have more oil but still great. Nothing wrong with any of them. I catch all. I think the pink or orange color might be more eye apealing, but thats all. Restaurants have begun to market whites as a delicacy.

All of these fish are great eating. Whites have more oil but still great. Nothing wrong with any of them. I catch all. I think the pink or orange color might be more eye apealing, but thats all. Restaurants have begun to market whites as a delicacy.

I dont think you can tell for sure what colour a chinook is when it is caught in the ocean, but in freshwater one can tell by the colour of the skin.
A white spring will tend to darken with a grey and green colour, while a red spring will be more of a bronze/red on the flanks.
Male whites tend to get a larger hump on the back. Reds are more streamlined.
Todd Rickard,
Charter Fishing Prince Rupert
www.silversuncharters.com

I dont think you can tell for sure what colour a chinook is when it is caught in the ocean, but in freshwater one can tell by the colour of the skin.
A white spring will tend to darken with a grey and green colour, while a red spring will be more of a bronze/red on the flanks.
Male whites tend to get a larger hump on the back. Reds are more streamlined.
Todd Rickard,
Charter Fishing Prince Rupert
www.silversuncharters.com

Well as LC just said lift up the gill plate right above the pectoral fin you will see a little tab which they call the collar in that tiny spot you can see either red or white you have to look closely and a white spring will fool you you see white but when you fillet it the back half somtimes is marbled with a bit of red.

Personally as a cook i prefer the whites for taste they are great on the bbq but it is all eye percetion we want to see a bright red flesh but i bet I could blind fold a person and cook two pieces the same and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, It ALL tastes great.

For the few who have experienced my meals you know what i am talking about...

Good luck Wolf

Well as LC just said lift up the gill plate right above the pectoral fin you will see a little tab which they call the collar in that tiny spot you can see either red or white you have to look closely and a white spring will fool you you see white but when you fillet it the back half somtimes is marbled with a bit of red.

Personally as a cook i prefer the whites for taste they are great on the bbq but it is all eye percetion we want to see a bright red flesh but i bet I could blind fold a person and cook two pieces the same and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, It ALL tastes great.

For the few who have experienced my meals you know what i am talking about...

Good luck Wolf

whites are seem to have a larger oil content then the red fish.
just what i have noticed, i am however lucky enough to have only caught red springs, some light pink, but no whites.

some people love white fish i just dont get the appeal

Well Rob if you have never caught one how can you have an opinion on the subject once you have tried a few of them maybe then you can say something.

Wolf

Back