Chart plotter repair

Thunder21

Hey everyone, roughly a year ago I purchased an “open box” Simrad evo2 12” from the harbour chandler. This unit wasn’t used on a boat but may have been a display unit etc. Anyways, I’m having issues with the screen glitching out. I’ve tested it in multiple places so I know it’s the unit and not my boat. Chandler hasn’t been too much help other than offering me a replacement for 1750$ . Before I bite the bullet on a replacement , has anyone ever had one of these things opened up and repaired? Thanks

Try Japan electronics they fix things all the time that others say can’t be done etc etc nevermind they are out of biz now

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? There are lots of updates on their site for that unit.
I would also call Simrad Canada support. 1-855-361-1564
They may have a flat rate repair for the screen. It’s sounds like it could be the backlight giving you trouble.
I also see on their site something about a failure in the first 5 years and a discount on a new model or is that what Harbour Chandler is offering? I know another Commander owner with Simrad and he has called their support line a lot trying to get his Volvo engine data onto the chart plotter. Think they have been pretty helpful.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? There are lots of updates on their site for that unit.
I would also call Simrad Canada support. 1-855-361-1564
They may have a flat rate repair for the screen. It’s sounds like it could be the backlight giving you trouble.
I also see on their site something about a failure in the first 5 years and a discount on a new model or is that what Harbour Chandler is offering? I know another Commander owner with Simrad and he has called their support line a lot trying to get his Volvo engine data onto the chart plotter. Think they have been pretty helpful.
Yes it has the latest firmware loaded. It’s a weird problem. It only messes up while on the chart screen. The screen gets all blocky and the color changes. The sonar screen and all others work fine. I will try calling Simrad directly . I paid less than a new one but I
thought it would have at least a one year warranty for the cost of these things. It’s mounted inside the cabin and I only put 60 or so hours on the boat last year.

do a hard reset and did you update via wi-fi? just back up all data then redo . lots of info on THT forum ...
or i may take it off your hands as i run a an evo if you cant live with it ... other tip try run it in split screen chart and sonar ?
see if you have same issue?

do a hard reset and did you update via wi-fi? just back up all data then redo . lots of info on THT forum ...
or i may take it off your hands as i run a an evo if you cant live with it ... other tip try run it in split screen chart and sonar ?
see if you have same issue?
Thanks for the ideas but I’ve done all of those things. Split screen still causes the screen glitch. Only on the chart side though.

Thanks for the ideas but I’ve done all of those things. Split screen still causes the screen glitch. Only on the chart side though.
Seems like a software problem. It sounds like maybe you tried it but if not I would do a factory reset and go back to default settings.
I think Simrad support will be able to help you

sure sounds like a software issue not hardware. dont think it would be worth sending it to a repair place when is a software issues as it seems to be.

I'm guessing it has one of the mapping chips in the mirosd slot. Have you tried using the maps without the chip in it and just used the basic simrad map? Could be an issue with the card?

Change the chart options to different views. (shaded/unshaded/north up/heading up etc) or try a new navionics card

sure sounds like a software issue not hardware. dont think it would be worth sending it to a repair place when is a software issues as it seems to be.

I'm guessing it has one of the mapping chips in the mirosd slot. Have you tried using the maps without the chip in it and just used the basic simrad map? Could be an issue with the card?
Good idea. Could be a bad card or even dirty connection especially if the base map works.

I’m going to grab the chart plotter from the chandler and give everything mentioned a go. One weird thing about it is that it will work perfectly fine for long periods of time . Last time I was out it was fine for about 8 hours but then at the end of the day started glitching. The next morning it glitched right away. Once it acts up it doesn’t stop but at times if the unit hasn’t been used for awhile it’ll work fine.

You could remove the SD card and try some contact cleaner on it or even wipe contacts with Isopropanol. Running unit without the card will also help narrow things down

Does your unit sit in direct sunlight? My Older HDS 10 mounted in my dash glitches out on hot sunny days After it has been running for a while and I have to reboot it. If I cover the back of it with a towel it’s fine. Seems to be a heat issue.

Back