Changing plugs

bigredsnapper

Time for new plugs in my 04 Yamaha 225 four stroke. I bought it used with no manual. I used to change the plugs in my Honda no prob but this one looks more complicated. Should I run factory plugs or is there something better. Any advice would be great. Thanks BRS

Cheers BRS,

I change my plugs once each year in my 07 Yamaha 150 and use the factory plugs (NKG). The cost of the plug is so small and the ability to keep my fuel consumption down is only outweighed by the confidence that this is one less item that may go wrong. Big peace of mind for so small an investment. :) Most of the brand name plugs are so good that you probably cannot purchase a bad plug. My mechanic (Yamaha factory trained) likes the NKG and I go with his suggestion. Probably more important to change them regularly than the actual brand - but I will stick with the NKG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, that site is great 190fm. I will use the NGK plugs anyone know which one I need. It's an 04 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. I tried googling it but couldnt find it, I know I just have to pull one but I want to have them before I start. BRS

There should be a sticker (if its still there?) on the side of the cowling that lists the plug and the gap. While your at that you should check the zinc anodes above the spark plugs (x4).

Depending on the model of the 225, it may have 4 Head Bolt anodes @ about $10.00 or it could have just the one # about $20.00.
Mine has the 4, or over $40.00 refit!!!!!!!!

Back