Centre console boat Opinion

I think if you asked this question again in December you would get a different answer.

Most center consuls sit in the driveway for 6 months of the year.

During July and August, with all the sunny and warm days in Sooke, I often think a centre console would be great. Then the cooler and wetter weather arrives and I know I’ll be keeping my Hourston 18 with its hardtop.

Truly, it all comes down to the types and styles of fishing that you enjoy and how you wish to accomplish it. I love my center console, right from the very first day that I stepped aboard...basically five or so years before I purchased it, I stepped onto my dad's friends center console boat readying for a short local fishing trip and I was instantly in love with the craft. As I was boarding I greeted my dad's friend and reached into my pocket, dug out a loony($1 coin) and handed it to him. He asked what's this...I said it's my down payment, this is my new boat. I continued the tradition every time we went fishing. Then one Day Chris asked me if I was serious about buying it - I immediately said of coarse. For me a center console is the ultimate fishing platform in so many ways, whether trolling, jigging, trapping, exploring etc. I will agree that most center console boats have little cab space to get the entire crew out of the weather, but the trade off for me as the captain suites me just fine. :)
That’s right Rob! There’s center console fishing boats then there’s the rest

Thanks guys for all your opinions. I gotta say I love the look of centre console boats. I need to go check some out and get a closer look.
I posted my boat for sale, so that is my first step in this process.
Next is to check out some boats and see what is out there.
Anyone have experience with a Custom SCOUT 17.5 SPORTFISH?

Thanks guys for all your opinions. I gotta say I love the look of centre console boats. I need to go check some out and get a closer look.
I posted my boat for sale, so that is my first step in this process.
Next is to check out some boats and see what is out there.
Anyone have experience with a Custom SCOUT 17.5 SPORTFISH?

There is a lodge in Rivers Inlet that has a whole fleet of them. They usually get high marks for build quality and they are expensive to buy new.

Truly, it all comes down to the types and styles of fishing that you enjoy and how you wish to accomplish it. I love my center console, right from the very first day that I stepped aboard...basically five or so years before I purchased it, I stepped onto my dad's friends center console boat readying for a short local fishing trip and I was instantly in love with the craft. As I was boarding I greeted my dad's friend and reached into my pocket, dug out a loony($1 coin) and handed it to him. He asked what's this...I said it's my down payment, this is my new boat. I continued the tradition every time we went fishing. Then one Day Chris asked me if I was serious about buying it - I immediately said of coarse. For me a center console is the ultimate fishing platform in so many ways, whether trolling, jigging, trapping, exploring etc. I will agree that most center console boats have little cab space to get the entire crew out of the weather, but the trade off for me as the captain suites me just fine. :)

This is my first season in my 18' Sea Ray laguna CC and I absolutely love it for fishing. Play fish wherever you want, lots of storage in the hull, and have had 6 people and two dogs on it while fishing (little haywire but it worked). The weather is obviously the biggest issue and probably not the best suited for a young family for long trips or chop. But i gotta say this little boat smashes chop and when you're behind the helm you ride it like downhill skiing it's so cool. The person or person's up front may not like the chop but you don't get too beat up closer to the back. Would love to have a hardtop with cuddy some day but for pure fishing and exploring/getting places quickly the CC is the way to go! PS. Go with big power you won't regret it

Attachments

• IMG_0045 (1).PNG
    IMG_0045 (1).PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
There is a lodge in Rivers Inlet that has a whole fleet of them. They usually get high marks for build quality and they are expensive to buy new.
Yeah there is some used that ones for sale from that lodge. Might go check them out. They are a bit pricey and the motors have high hours. Granted most of it trolling

My son had a 17 Scout,as others have said they seem well built.They're very shallow draft boats,seem smaller than 17 with low gunwhales.He fished a lot in it and liked it,I would say it's a good bay or inshore boat,should pull a skier fine with the right power.Not a lot of them around here,you may have to go to Florida to get one. For what you say you will use it for it looks like a good option.

During July and August, with all the sunny and warm days in Sooke, I often think a centre console would be great. Then the cooler and wetter weather arrives and I know I’ll be keeping my Hourston 18 with its hardtop.
hhhmmm, 10 fish limit a year, and you fish all year, for a high school teacher you must not fish all too well. As for center consoles NorthWest Aluminium, the only way to go :)

hhhmmm, 10 fish limit a year, and you fish all year, for a high school teacher you must not fish all too well. As for center consoles NorthWest Aluminium, the only way to go :)

High school teacher? Wrong. 10 fish limit a year? Wrong again, that’s Chinook only. You’re not doing well.

School me again Justeen, at least I write mine and can you believe it even printed in the paper, and you.....

Who are you and what do you write? Justeen??

You take comments about center console boats very personally. Have you thought about getting some help for that?

Last edited:
Back