Another "what boat should I get thread"

Awesome job on coming to deal on the new boat. Way to go and nice job on the double header confirmation. I’m sure that you will love that full height transom with the pod. The way every boat should be built.

Oly

Congratulations on your new boat I love my Carmanah the hard top is a nice option. I fish up and around Ucluelet all summer and it is a big upgrade on my 17 double eagle. Any questions or concerns just ask.

Congratulations on your new boat I love my Carmanah the hard top is a nice option. I fish up and around Ucluelet all summer and it is a big upgrade on my 17 double eagle. Any questions or concerns just ask.
Thanks! would have liked a hard top but wife wanted a recessed bow and softtop works best with that. I'm upgrading from a 16ft double eagle and am looking forward to the extra space

Sweet, good choice. I've owned a Hewescraft but Silverstreaks are a cut above. With the rails you can clip your kid to it on a rope while you land a fish :)
Funny you mention that. It is exactly what I told my wife. I am going to make a clip harness for him when he is on the bow. He is 3 and already landed 2 of his own (small) bottom fish. I took a ice fishing rod (in red cause he loves red) and added on a bigger shimano reel with braided line. He doesn't really know what he is doing yet but he can do the jerky jig action and that seems to work for easy bottom fish.

Awesome job on coming to deal on the new boat. Way to go and nice job on the double header confirmation. I’m sure that you will love that full height transom with the pod. The way every boat should be built.

Oly
I haven't even gotten the boat and I already love the idea of a full height transom! The kid will be boxed in and safe.... except now he will likely be getting his little hands in all the gear and controls... oh well one problem at a time ;)

All Thunder Jets, specifically the 23 Alexis ? or all aluminium boats and models ?
or you are simply biased towards fiberglass? Just searching for well weighed opinion.
Thunder jets pound. I’ve been on a 23 Alexis and I didn’t like the ride. I have no bias. I own a fibreglass Grady White. My dad has an aluminum Eagle Craft. I grew up on his boat. It does not pound, but it’s 30’ and a heavy custom aluminum.

Thanks! would have liked a hard top but wife wanted a recessed bow and softtop works best with that. I'm upgrading from a 16ft double eagle and am looking forward to the extra space

The soft top will give you lots of room to move around that for sure. What options did you get. I really like the storage in the boat it seems way more roomy from a 17 double eagle it must seem huge coming from a 16 ft.

The kid will be boxed in and safe.... except now he will likely be getting his little hands in all the gear and controls... oh well one problem at a time ;)

Congrats on the boat! I’m jealous.

Just a suggestion for keeping the kids safe... get a roll big roll of duct tape and tape them to a seat.
They won’t fall overboard :D;)

The soft top will give you lots of room to move around that for sure. What options did you get. I really like the storage in the boat it seems way more roomy from a 17 double eagle it must seem huge coming from a 16 ft.

The options were recessed bow, closed off front and rear storage, white painted interior, sharkhide hull and transom, 2nd wiper, no feedback helm, drop curtain (strangely not included with the standard top and side curtains), rear rails with welded cup holder and downrigger pads, high 180 degree bow rails (for the kid), raw water washdown pump, upgraded buildge with auto float switch, bow anchor roller and anchor chain locker... thats all I can recall now.

The options were recessed bow, closed off front and rear storage, white painted interior, sharkhide hull and transom, 2nd wiper, no feedback helm, drop curtain (strangely not included with the standard top and side curtains), rear rails with welded cup holder and downrigger pads, high 180 degree bow rails (for the kid), raw water washdown pump, upgraded buildge with auto float switch, bow anchor roller and anchor chain locker... thats all I can recall now.
Do you have photos of the recessed bow? I didn't think I've seen a Silver Streak with a recessed bow

I'm interested in how your Carmanah rides compared to the 17 double eagle. Does the longer hull(assuming you have the 18')help with ride in your opinion.
I have the Tyee with a 115 Yam which rides fairly well for it's size and weight. Both are close to the same rigged weight going by specs. Mines around 2200lbs with a full tank.
Had a ride in the 21' Renfrew with 225 power several years ago and was impressed although the cost difference is substantial...
Thanks

It rides good overall in the chop. I don’t think it pounds much more than the DE maybe a bit, not enough to worry about. It’s a bit noisier maybe, but that’s because of being a metal boat. I’m very happy with the boat and feel much safer in this one, It handles very well in the turns and gets up out of the hole in no time. All in all I think it handles very nice and with the pod there is lots of room inside.

Back