Center Console vs. Cuddy

Highliner

Does anyone run a center console on the west coast? I'd like to hear any thoughts. I fish from Sidney to Sooke from spring to early fall and don't fish much during the winter. I want something that is purely a fishing boat, and easy to trailer (17-21 feet). What are your thoughts on a CC vs a small cudy or Double Eagle style?

Thanks.

Hey Highliner,

We use our boats year round but the reason we like the style we have applies equally as well to summer as to winter use. We prefer the Lifetimer/Silver Streak style boats with a covered bow, full height front windshield, side glass and a soft top canopy.

The covered bow is a must-have for me in an ocean boat. It's not uncommon that we bury the bow of our boat, even in summer storms, never mind the winter. With this style of boat the water goes over the bow, runs up the front windshield and is shed to the sides as opposed to you getting a boatfull. The covered bow also gives us lot's of secure storage space which can be a bit of a problem with a CC.

We like the full windshield as even in the summer on a long run it's nice to be out of the wind and rain. With the seating set up right and small soft top you can keep four out of the weather easily on an 18-20'. I prefer the full height windshield with a higher seat position rather than the low glass with the low seat position as it gives me better vis in front of the boat which is a must with the amount of wood floating in the water around our area.

I like a soft top as when I'm fishing alone I can lower the soft top so I can sit in the captains chair and steer while playing the fish. I have pedestal seats that can swivel 360 so I can sit backwards and still adjust the steering. With a hard top you sometimes have to lower the rod tip too much to get to the wheel which with a big fish and barbless hooks is often an end-game scenario.

I'm also a big fan of hydraulic steering as I can go longer without having to adjust the steering when it's windy or I'm trolling into the current. On anything under 18-20' hyrdaulics are not perfect as by shifting your weight from one side of the boat to the other the keel itself acts as a rudder and turns the boat slightly (like in a kayak) but if you watch your position in the boat you can go for quite a while without adjustments.

I guess I'm just getting too old for the exposure of CC boats... I like my creature comforts :) Now if I could just find a small Latte machine that could run on DC.....

My personal preference is a center console as I spend 95% of my time on board fishing and not trying to sleep in a tiny cuddy. For the extra money a cuddy costs you for my buck I would rather rent a cabin and have a good floater suit. I know alot of guys like the cuddy for protection form the elements but it sure takes up alot of fishing room and adds alot of weight to the boat for trailering and also a heavier boat to push so harder on gas to tow and to run. And don;t think I'm bias because I have a boat to sell, as I have a center console that is my boat that I'm not selling and is great. with a CC you can have a t-top and some windows and that's proctection while you drive and shade in the sun. As for storage space you get way more fish lockers and walking room as a 21 ft CC feels much larger where a 21ft cuddy seems quite cramped in most cases. Just my 2 cents.

SWC

Thanks SWC,

That's exactly the kind of imput I was looking for. I can see both sides the coin. Where do you do most of your fishing?

Highliner

I perfer cuddy. Because when you go a fishing trip you can leave your gear on your boat you don't have to pack it up to your campsite

quote:Originally posted by Paul Burak

I perfer cuddy. Because when you go a fishing trip you can leave your gear on your boat you don't have to pack it up to your campsite

but on higher quality cc's there is more storage than cuddy's, under the entire deck is lockers and most will have a cubby under the console

Highliner,
I run a 21ft center console all year but those cold winter mornings i wish i had a cuddy to get warm. There is no escape from the cold in center console. I suppose u could always make a canvus box over the console though.

I prefer a small cuddy with a walkaround in that size of boat. Its nice to have a place to throw all the gear up front and out of site and weather.

Call me a fairweather guy but I much prefer a cuddy to a CC.
When prawning in the winter, it's nice to have that heater and a cupppa to enjoy.
And storage and the odd overnighter is nice in the summer.
That being said, I own neither....yet....

The CC's are fishing machines. For running your gear and playing fish you can't beat them. From 16-21 feet I would much prefer the CC

Back