Catch of the Day

OK, I have a very amazing story. I went to langford today, and was dragging the usual patterns and catching the usual 10-14inch fish. I started fishing around the second island on south langford lake close to James, Biatabatuka. I talked to him, and he was doing really well, catching lots of 20+ inch fish. We traded a few patterns ect, then started fishing again. I was in approximately 20 feet of water, and the tip of my rod smashed underneath the water. WOW big fish! I grabbed the rod, and set the hook, wow this feels 10+ lbs. 3 seconds after the hook set I realized it was not a trout. I kept reeling expecting for my tippet to bust, as I kept trying to get the hook off the bottom. After a while I figured it wasnt coming of the bottom, so I I stated reeling trying to break my tippet. As I was reeling I realized that the bottom was moving, and I was hooked onto a stick. All of a sudden some black fly line appeared from the water, weird its not the same color as my type 6 fly line. Its a bit lighter, looks like a type 3. I grabbed the lighter colored fly line, and started to pull it in. A rod tip broke the water. I caught a rod! I pulled the rod into the boat. Holy s*** its a Sage, and a Forged reel, I thought to my self! I shouted to James that I caught a Sage fly rod. He paused for a second then replied. "I was fishing about a month ago on a really windy day, and the tall guy with glasses lost a Sage set up out of his float tube." Nelson I thought? No, he doesnt use a float tube. It must be Trevor! I quickly called island outfitters ( I memorized the number) and asked for Trevor. I told him what happened, and he thought I was BS him. I asked him to describe the rod and reel, it was the exact rod I was holding. I told him that there was a size 14 olive chironomid on. I could basically hear his jaw drop. I had found his rod, and if it wernt for James being around the second island at both occasions I probably would not have found the owner of the rod. It was extraordinarily incredible, The rod was under water for over 1 month, it was in better condition than I expected, the cork wasnt to good, but the blank was perfect, and the reel still looked graet. Fortunately Trevor is a rod builder, so he will be able to fix the rod. I also caught around 15 trout. The rod was caught on a size 14 barbless leech pattern. Thanks for the help James, if you wernt fishing today I would not have found the owner of the rod.

Nice fish CD, looks really healthy.

Kunni

Attachments

• IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 530
Last edited by a moderator:
went out to quam last night. luckily the algae hatch calmed down and the fish are biteing again. we caught two trout both around 5 pounders

any pics? I believe you that you caught the fish, just like to see big fish!

kunni

add one for you guys - first trip on ANY lake in 2 years (Langford)....slow going for the most part - trolled wooly bugger and leech patterns from top to bottom - 1 hit on the bottom, several on the top, but they just weren't sticking - hooks were sharp, just not hungry enough? Switched to lures and sped it up...behind the aerator probably around 25' and nailed this beaut on a wee tad frog pattern...didn't do too much until it saw my face and then the fight was on - couple of nice runs, crazy thrashing, but I won in the end...my 2nd biggest out of the lake, just under 20" and came in at 3.2 lb. Checked his stomach for you match maker types - black with green tinge and several thin worms no more than an inch long.

966789_10151419984840658_1413310445_o.jpg

Here a laker I caught on a red & silver
apex with a deep six diver.

Attachments

• 223134_253070121389719_100000601985835_974774_8152644_n.jpg
    223134_253070121389719_100000601985835_974774_8152644_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 307
Last edited by a moderator:
Checked his stomach for you match maker types - black with green tinge and several thin worms no more than an inch long.

sounds like blood worms and large chironomids

fishing was decent today at langford, had about 8 in 3.5 hours, biggest was about 16in.

Kunni

sounds like blood worms and large chironomids

fishing was decent today at langford, had about 8 in 3.5 hours, biggest was about 16in.

Kunni
I would totally believe that :D Probably a dozen or so in its stomach......great on the barbee as well!

nice, for some reason the picture is not displaying on my computer. When I replied to your post it said there was a photo? weird :confused:

kunni

nice, for some reason the picture is not displaying on my computer. When I replied to your post it said there was a photo? weird :confused:

kunni

I will repost his pic......

Kunni, can you see me now ?....

Attachments

• Kunnicanyouseemenow.jpg
    Kunnicanyouseemenow.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 519
nice fish!! good job man

kunni

Fished langford this am with my Dad. Got 10 trout and 3 bass. Trout on black leeches and bass and # 1 and #2 Blues in the shallow end of the lake.

-KK

ah ok, thanks for clarification

kunni

Got this 11.2 lb carp this morning @ Elk lake, after that I did some saltwater casting and caught a small greenling...Never caught fresh and salt in the same day before...all before 1pm :cool:

Attachments

• DSCF0559.jpg
    DSCF0559.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCF0553aa.jpg
    DSCF0553aa.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF0547.jpg
    DSCF0547.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 302
aah yee, 11.2 lbs how many hours did you fight that thing for?:cool: It would be awesome to catch one of those on a fly rod.

Kunni

Back