cat heaters

I use one (Brinkman) in my boat, good to keep the chill off.
As long as you don't use in a closed cabin without ventilation
it's no problem.

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the BlackCat with the lower center of gravity, and I'll come up with a way to securely fasten it too. Just purchased a 17 Arima Sea Chaser, has canvas top with zipdown back enclosure behind the seats so ventilation shouldn't be a problem.

was out last weekend with the black cat going under the canvas top and it was nice and toasty. I use it on the drift boat too to warm up the hands. I think a bottle lasts like 8 hours, good little heater.

As Craven said - VENTILATION!

They use oxygen and produce carbon monoxide and people have died in their tents and campers because of inadequate ventilation.

I bought a 1000 watt generator from canadian tire three weeks ago for 150$, it runs an 800 watt electric heater, almost too warm in the cuddy, no ventilation needed.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I got this weird propane heater thing in my boat I think it is called a "Hot Box" The tank is up near the anchor. I'm leary of it though.

Take only what you need.

and where does the noisy generator live?

great question! about 100' of extension chord away from boat... still not enough!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originalonly posted by The Fish Assassin

I got this weird propane heater thing in my boat I think it is called a "Hot Box" The tank is up near the anchor. I'm leary of it though.

Take only what you need.

Hey FA just in case you didn't realize this but any propane bottles on a boat have to be properly stored in a self contained area that has a vent hole to the exterior. The self contained area will be sloped to the exterior so that any possible leak of propane will vent to the outside and not find its way to the lowest point in your boat, ie the engine compartment. Now you might have an outboard but you still don't want any possible leaks settling in your boat.

Hey lazoman,
I have been using the ProCat propane heater on my boat for the last two years. It works great.... I keep it in the open for ventilation and have never had a problem with fumes or anything. The big thing you want to make sure of is that it doesn't go out or blow out. I have used a heater called a "little Buddy" in the past and it kept blowing out on me so I took it off the boat. Hope this helps.... Steve.

I picked up a BlackCat, which is the same 3000 btu as the ProCat. Its a much lower profile but doesn't have a fan. The SportCat is on sale but is only 1500 btu. Took it to the boat yesterday and tried it out during the gale we were having. Kept it warm enough under the canvas to enjoy a wee dram while wishing I could get out on the water in my new boat.........

Nice mounting job esora, I have been wondering what to do with my BlackCat. Had the boat out yesterday for a maiden run, and we were down to tee shirts with it running on low setting, makes a huge difference.

Lazoman
Only tried it out in the driveway so far and it works great, hope to get out real soon.

Back