Canucks 2021 Season

Against the 'Canes, the Canucks looked pretty good IMO, except for a few costly mistakes that Carolina took advantage of. One big thing I noticed was that Carolina got to the puck first into the corners to make the play, which is crucial. Canucks need to be there first. They also need to sort out defensive zone coverage.

i think they have some good pieces, but they are to easy to play against and need some grit

When have the Canucks been hard to play against ? , maybe in the early 90s with Didik , Momesso ,May, Gino etc , im sure every team looks and sees the Canucks coming up on their schedule and thinks this will be another no contact game

Kraken beat Buffalo 5-1 last night , 3-3-2 vs the Canucks 0-5-2 , my money is on Seattle

Last edited:
ya, they have zero team dynamics.

They need to step way back to basics....how to pass the puck, how to receive a pass, how to stay on their feet (pety) how to break out of a zone and how to enter the O zone. I have seen more organized play in beer league.
I do feel the talent is there.....next few pic one star to sit........pety, horvat, boeser, they are not even close to stepping up.

my $0.02

Too many small guys on the team. Whats wrong with fast skating big guys? Bertuzzi helped Naz and Brendan's game. When Miller is the biggest guy on a forward line you are going to get pushed around alot...and that isn't a knock on Miller. How ever he is a bit of a liability handling the puck on the pp.

Finally a win last night but painful to watch. Not aware of Millers status but the Canucks did trade a 5th 2023 for RHD Ethan Bear and another Peterson with Carolina retaining $400k this morning. Huggy and Bear will at least be an interesting buzz for the fans.
Draft picks like candy giveaways but in this case Canucks had no choice.

Too many small guys on the team. Whats wrong with fast skating big guys? Bertuzzi helped Naz and Brendan's game. When Miller is the biggest guy on a forward line you are going to get pushed around alot...and that isn't a knock on Miller. How ever he is a bit of a liability handling the puck on the pp.
Agreed. Look at the teams that end up in the East and west finals, they are big and physical, the Canucks are neither

Patiently waiting for Mr Drink's intelligent and accurate insights on their improved play lately

Looks like they are trying harder. Loving Mikhayev"s speed and size with a little finish
Got a give full credit where credit is due as the PK/PP and finally some bounces got it done. Jarry wasn't at his best and Martin was. A few nasty rebounds though.
Pittsburg unlike all other opponents didn't pinch at the blue line other then the 1st 5 minutes of the 3rd. Canucks defensive structure finally stayed intact as Brisebois and Rathbone both had very good games. Moving Miller to the wing, as mentioned Mikheyev coming into form and Pearson playing a spirited game, thus the Canucks mostly held Crosby and Malkin in check. A win, a new found confidence and some jump so just maybe the team is headed in the right direction. Bring on New Jersey, Anaheim and Nashville as we will then have a good snapshot of what's in store for us.
Pittsburg was missing forwards Guentzel and Zucker whom are factors on most nights. Who cares as we have the 2nd most man days lost next to Montreal.

How many times have we seen a teams back up goalie come in and stone the Canucks, it was nice to Martin play well and do the deed to another team , but Pittsburgh did not look very good , still a bit of a Benny Hill fire drill in our own zone , I’d say give it 20 games

Wait until they have to face a team that can check hard all game. Canucks do better against high tempo-skating teams. Until Canucks can sharpen up break outs and passing so they are consistent, they won't do well against hard hitters and defensive teams. Not to be too critical, but I can hear Yakety Sax in our zone.

It's the new retro Jerseys , burn them all. Awful.
No cohesiveness as the line mixes seem wrong to me. Get EP40 some wingers as he was on his own out there.
Poor start again, Demko struggling but was hung out to dry.
Myers and OEL out of position and chasing the puck all night. Stillman, send him packing.
Give them a day off in Lotus land and that's what we get. A slow, soft effort with zero determination until it was too late.
On a positive note I did like Bear for his first game and Horvat's play.

Back